1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Back to Fiat with new BNW Punto 90 hp

Discussion in 'Punto 1.3 MJD 90 HP' started by P.carlover12, May 30, 2012.

1. This is my first post on this forum

About me : Avid car lover. Have been driving for last 35 years (USA and India ). Have driven and owned several cars . Currently own BMW 320d and Honda CRV (2007). Not new to fiat; had Palio GTX 1.6 for 2 years. Am a Fiat lover. Wanted a small diesel car for week end visits to temples in rural areas. Love steady 100-120 highway drives. Punto 90hp (BNW) fits my requirements well. Hence bought one this month. I am back to Fiat after 4 years !

Here is what I feel about my car . I wont repeat its usual strengths
    • Buying experience : Very good. (From Prerana Motors BLR)
    • Driven about 1700kms (mostly on highways )
    • Love its ride, handling, suspension , the way it builds speed on highway. Very reassuring stopping power…. Get about 15kmpl in the city and 19 in the highway.
    • Hate its pickup till it reaches 1800-2000rpm. Last week end I was returning from Mysore and had almost bumper to bumper traffic from Srirangpattan till BLR. It was miserable to drive Punto with frequent gear changes and low RPMs. I was too tired when I reached home. That day, I regretted buying Punto.
    • Front seat thy support is poor.
    • Hoping that engine will be smoother and turbo lag would reduce some what as I put few more 000 kms.

I would keep my friends here ( new found ) posted of my experience and seek some advice from time to time.
  2. mvb4u

mvb4u Regolare

Grande Punto 1.3
    Welcome aboard. Congrats on the new possession.

Punto 90hp will serve you upto to your expectations. 2nd gear in situations like you mentioned takes care of the situation. Need some time getting used to after driving those bmw and crv.
  3. Tony

Tony Esperto

Kalamboli, Navi Mumbai
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Welcome back to the Gang Dude with your 90 HP
    for sure the ride will improve as kms are passed and you will be used for the B2B drive soon,
  4. Relativity

Relativity Superiore

welcome aboard. It is good to see somebody who owns a BMW & CRV buy a Fiat.
  5. Arryan

Arryan Regolare

Linea 1.3
    Carlover12 : Most welcome to TFI.

Quite happy to know about your love for Fiat even after having BMW in your garage.

Looking forward to more updates on your new possesion.
  6. ENKI

ENKI Esperto

FIAT is FIAT..!!
    There is nothing like best fruit.
    Apples can't replace oranges neither they are best.
    FIAT got it's own essence which no other car has & vice versa.
    Yes being a budget car, that turbo lag 1800 RPM is frustrating one, but again it's fitted for the budget.
    Hope FIAT will introduce MJD-2 1248 cc at least if not 1.6 MJD.
    That 1250 RPM's Turbo spool would be a diesel Nirvana for which people buy luxury cars.
    Great choice, Congrats!!
  7. welcome to TFI, please wait for 5K kms to slight better performance and 15 K Kms to for engine settle and perform.
  8. puntosat

puntosat Superiore

I had same issues when I first bought car...

Over time I got used to the gear ratio's and its fine now...u'll learn to handle it uself...and trurbo lag below 1.8K won't bother you much...

Also after about 5000 kms...the engine is responding much better and the pull is good..especially after first service..

My TASS guy said he put the scanner & did some very minor adjustments...I see it more smoother now with better pull...

i also see an uptick in mileage..I need to confirm though...its been 2 days only since 1st service...
  9. Thanks every one. It is a warm wonderful forum. Reasons I bought Punto : don't want BMW on village roads; CRV is automatic, drinks petrol like water. No small diesel car can match Punto. Having been using auto transmissions since 4-5 years. And that is taking some time getting used.

One more : for last one month, Punto has been as reliable and confidence inspiring as my CRV. (touch wood ,)
  10. Quick update
    • Changed to front speakers to JBL. Was shocked to see the crappy plastiky OEM speakers !
    • Last weekend , I took Punto for a 1100 km Malanad drive ( Belur-kalasa-kuduremukh-sringeri-Koppa-Shivamogga-BLR). Just enjoyed driving Punto. Reached 140 for a short period
    • Punto is now smother and every body loved to drive Punto
    • Punto has crossed 3700.
    • One word summary of my experience : reliable vehicle, sweet to drive. Cant be better !
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2012