1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Avventura Urban Cross Showcased at 2016 Auto Expo

Discussion in 'Fiat India News' started by Murphy_Fiat, Feb 3, 2016.

1. rusticnomad

rusticnomad Amatore

Indore
    Indore
    Linea T-Jet
    Yup. And since Renegade is already in plans, they could always suprise with adding 500X to the next year's plans as both Renegade and 500X are on the same platform. This would have better chances and would have covered the segment of buyers who aren't going to be attracted to Renegade:
  2. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    @rusticnomad

If they'd shown any of these suggested new/recent european models there would've been a clamour for them ASAP (at cut-prices-too!), something they obviously would not have been able to deliver in 2017, 2018 or likely ever....since these models do not begin-to-fit the indian-market's cost-value-price structure. And if they were to launch the 500X say in early 2018, the same folks clamouring gushingly for it now will have said "too little too late", "uncommitted", "incompetent and lazy etc".

When a brand is down on sales (not in quality, reliability, or design+engineering which are still segemtn-leading or not at all off-the-mark) folks FIND things to criticize. They always do. That is a different, purely 'informational' form of herding (of opinion, not of action or purchase decisions).

THAT is what defines the sheer-quantitative negative momentum or inertia of a brand. The positive or negative inertia of a brand has little to do with the actual truths about the actual cars, their dealers etc. THAT is what makes a brand different to the concrete product/model that incarnates the brand.

So: it is naive to think 'new product' is the issue. The 'new product' complaint is mostly a figleaf for saying 'i dislike or, at the very least: distrust FIAT'.

btw, sir, if you were to encounter Italian auto website/web-magazine comments on the Avventura and on this autoexpo Urban Cross: there is notable praise for their styling, with some/many wishing it were available in italy! Allpar.com, the fca american brand site, is seeing a few american members praise this very urban cross' styling so much they feel fca should bring it even to the usa, big car and suv country though it is!

AND: the italians actually have had the punto for 9 years, and will lose it this year-end. We've 'only' had it for 5-6, with a total, thorough revamp (much more than a mere facelift), INDIA-specific/special, just in 2014. It remains a benchmark on so many levels, not least being price-value-design-engineering-CofO and warranties etc.

So how can a benchmark vehicle that has thoroughly fresh styling including softtouch dash-with-ambient-lighting etc be seen a 'not-new'/outdated', pray tell? To some degree, sure: familiarity breeds contempt, as they say. BUT: to this degree, that 98% buyers refuse to look-into-it (say in abarth form? say in avventura form? or this 'showy-chic' Urban Cross form? well, at least because it is so much lesser priced than the strong-selling 'new model' competition from the dominant brands?

This goes to the heart of what is different about the Indian car market culture. Every car culture values dealer and after-sales assurance highly but NONE as-fetishistically as India. Every car market likes 'all-new', fresh product, but none goes all-or-nothing in favour of just one or 2 new models from just one or three dominant firms/brands to THIS degree. None emphasizes 'resale value' as strongly, and likely: none is founded on folks as dis-informed and ignorant-of or indifferent-to car design and engineering global-industry standards and benchmarks for ride, handling, refinement, build, safety and even for design.

To offer all-new models for the indian market is currently the riskiest thing any car company can do: it is at best a lousy-bet with bad odds (as the experience of Nissan-Renault, and Ford and Chevy, and currently Tata, has shown/is showing), or at worst: a doomed attempt (as shown by the fate of the facelifted Fiats, the new Ford Fiesta, the Tata Bolt and Zest, the Nissan evalia and Renault Lodgy, etc).

The firms that do so are ALL, just like Fiat (but not Jeep, which is getting activated including with fresh 1700 crores of investment), taking their time, since they've all been badly-burned by the mirage of India-as-booming-EM-the-next-China in the past several years: Toyota, VW, Skoda, Chevy, Nissan. Watch how long before FORD launches any 'all-new' stuff following the failure of the aspire/figo, the looming-inevitable decline of the ecosport, for eg.

FCA's Jeep-first, 'premium'-sided new approach to the indian market (and to india as base for premium, high-value-added, non-cheap-third-world car, exports via the Jeep c-suv+whatever else later) is actually far sounder as an india-strategy than any of these other firms', frankly.

That is no consolation for the FIAT brand, its dealers and its current or prospective owners, of course.

For now. We will just have to wait through to 2017/2018!

Meanwhile, who knows, this 'gorgeously'-detailed/stylised Punto/Avventura, the urban cross, may actually outdo all sales expectations and....sell many-enough a month, which is to say: 50/60/100? Ha!
  3. rusticnomad

rusticnomad Amatore

Indore
    Indore
    Linea T-Jet
    @prabhjot -- They don't have the luxury of time now. They have overdone on that part.
    Audi contemplating Q2 in India and 500X could be a good to take that market space if they had the urgency. My take -- They aren't selling as guys don't have more than 2 shell options. If chassis etc of Renegade and 500X is same why not have both in one go.

As it is Punto's and Linea's aren't selling much. Urban cross is like Ranbir Singh dressed in Priyanka Chopra attire. Hope it doesn't sell much because if it does then FCA will go into extended hibernating mode again.

New products -- not new products from same rehashed shells -- will always be the issue because FCA is not Audi/Merc/BMW that they can just keep 2 shells and expect to sell 15-20K units per year. Even Audi/BMW/Merc are fast paced in Indian market. FCA just can't keep blaming market even without trying. They haven't done anything substantial in last 5 years. The fact that they are down from 1000 to 600 speaks volumes about "Products Do Matter"

If they keep blaming the market even without trying, might as well shut shop, make money from engines as long as they can and even go out of business on that front too sooner or later. If other companies are making losses and still delivering new products, FCA should be one step ahead as they are in profit (by virtue of engine/transmission sales?). We need the sight of Kevin Flynn's third pillar soon. New "SHELLS" and no rehashes :)

Basically a product in the entire range from 4 lacs to 18/20 lacs.
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2016
    vista7155 and gpunto75 like this.
  4. gpunto75

gpunto75 Amatore

Nasik
    Grande Punto 1.3
    FCA can sell over 2000 per month, that's possible with just 2 shells, like the Volkswagen does. But the fiat owners (barring the southern states may be) do not recommend fiats to their friends/relatives after the pathetic experience of FASS. And on what ground they'll recommend?
    Firstly Fiat isn't ready to lure new customers by bringing sub 4 lakh product (crowd puller). Every one isn't going to buy a 6 to 7 lakh car.
    Secondly the mouth publicity by current owners doesn't seem positive, fiat doesn't cares. 6 to 12 lakh slot competition is hell lot updated with all bells and whistles.
    Thirdly, what is that issue with only Fiat, that it has sour relations with all the dealers throughout the country.
    I now meet sales persons who helped me buy fiat. These guys are now in Tata/ Hyundai showrooms. They still love fiats, but share about the pathetic backup by FCA.
    FCA isn't ready to cater the middle class mindset of newly emerging generation, isn't ready to cater the luxurious products that are shall be updated to keep up with the competition, isn't ready to change spare part policy.
    FCA if not ready to spend some of its profit, to keep itself update/ to keep alive one side of aggressive mouth publicity thru its happy customers, AND IF ISN'T READY TO TAKE RISK, better it shut its shop.
  5. rusticnomad

rusticnomad Amatore

Indore
    Indore
    Linea T-Jet
    @gpunto75 -- Yes, they have to cater to mass market also aka KWID, KUV 1OO. That's the only thing that can get the visibility going, confidence improved. Surprisingly, they have plans to launch a KWID competitor in Brazil and have umpteen reasons for not doing in India. They just can't rant even without trying. I think if Hyundai too was selling just the rehash of Santro Xing and Old Verna's for extended period of time they would have in same tight spot as FCA.

Whoever has driven our T-Jet loved it. However, if it still doesn't sell then something is definitely wrong with FCA-Dealer setup. My nephew was interested in Powered by Abarth Avventura, just because I pushed him to FIAT. He was moving away from Polo. Dealer had no TD and worse of all things, had no commitment when it would be available. This is despite the fact that the dealer knew that we had bought a T-Jet in 2014. So, he went ahead and bought Jazz. So, one sale less.

So, if the company or dealer doesn't care to have TD vehicles across India how do they expect to sell? A customer with cash ready is impatient child. If FCA cannot provide on time, someone else will. And then such buyers only talk NEGATIVE about FCA.
    manjunathkl and gpunto75 like this.
  6. punto11

punto11 Amatore

assam
    few weeks ago I created a thread here and wanted a petrol instead of my punto active diesel. Finally decided on the abarth avvy and called the dealer. When I asked what price I can expect from my old car they said the maximum they have done is 283000 on top end model so I can expect around 183000. Then I called Nexa they offered 1lakh and advised me to sell it outside. Its impossible to sell my car here because fiat has ran away after selling cars through Tata. After this I decided to keep my punto as long as I can. Now Nexa guys keep calling me asking if my car is sold or not and even trying to find a customer. Fiat never called back.
    avi_loveindia, gpunto75 and Amit Rox like this.
  7. Tornado

Tornado Superiore

Driver's seat.
    Western Maharashtra
    Avventura 1.3 90 HP
    Guys, mefeels we should have a poll to protest against Fiat's lacklustre show at Auto expo & absence of future plan to provide upgrades for existing fiat car owners at Auto expo & that should be brought in to notice of FCA INDIA & ITALY. Thus we can help them shutting shop.

Because, on other forums & in my friend circle, whoever wants to buy a new car appreciates the fiat cars but no one buys it, reason : Risk of Fiat possibly shutting the shop
    prabhjot and gpunto75 like this.
  8. nbvcrao

nbvcrao Amatore

Guntur
    On today's twitter posts....

Fiat born in Mumbai, made in Mumbai but today not even a dealer in Mumbai! @FiatIndia wants to change sorry state. http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-news/improving-dealer-network-tops-fiat8217s-agenda-400157.aspx … this is what hormazd sorabjee said on twitter to which Fiat India replied@hormazdsorabjee, we are expanding our dealer network - workshop with continual improvement & quality services.

I am in a dilemma whether to go in for New Linea to replace my ageing car or wait for Fiat India to announce their lineup, which is uncertain.
  9. Tornado

Tornado Superiore

Driver's seat.
    Western Maharashtra
    Avventura 1.3 90 HP
    What do you mean by line up?
  10. vista7155

vista7155 Regolare

bangalore
    @nbvcrao
    That is the auto reply never bothered about to improve.
    Coming to upgrade to another Fiat please think twice before investing your hard earned money.
    If I was in your situation then I would have not touched the fiat with barge pole IMO because once bitten twice shy.