1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Avventura Urban Cross Showcased at 2016 Auto Expo

Discussion in 'Fiat India News' started by Murphy_Fiat, Feb 3, 2016.

1. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    @acechip

I just hope they're seeing the great truth of what you're saying in that post, sir. btw, the dealers=120 'pretence' is LONG gone, talk from Flynn is of 'dealer stabilization'. We know what that means, don't we!

I don't see any chance of me or anyone else in my 'circle' of friends, and family buying yet another Fiat, even though there are several who do own one or have owned and loved one. Why would one want to replace the beauty that is the Linea (esp t-jet) with a Grand Sienna (t-jet?) somewhat-even-'better' though am sure the latter will be in every way?

I do see Jeep as a good alternative, speaking not-much personally: do prefer like rusticnomad-sir the 500X, to the doomed/tragic-FIAT brand for FCA in india, ONCE the locally-made c-suv next year and a cheaper 12-16 lakhs type model comes too (2018?). Let's see.

OR, surely better: just buy 2-wheelers in future: there are so many good, non-fake-oo, 'world-class' ones available now. It bothers me a lot whenever i meet this not-young friend who turns up on a Triumph Bonneville, bought at....about the price i paid for the Linea in 2014 at launch, having sold my Palio stile for er 'do paise', since the Linea is so sparingly enjoyed, or enjoyable, given traffic, congestion, time- and other murders on the roads in dilli-gurgaon. I find that i am too vulnerable to 'breathalyser tests' to enjoy the Linea, and still get home, whenever the congestion is low enough, i.e., very late nights once or twice a week.

Meantime: the Italian owners of my only-real fun and automotive joy, Vespa, is also down a lot in sales. And the south delhi as well as gurgaon dealers have shut down.

No doubt, then, i'll end up buying the tempting-as-hell Aprilla 150 sports-scooter they've launched at the Auto Expo for local manufacture later this year....from dealers FAR way in North or East Dilli. One of them will probably have shut shop too by then. Ha.
  2. manjunathkl

manjunathkl Amatore

Bangalore
    Linea 1.4
    You are right sunroof is a useless extra in Indian conditions.

Useful/Useless features other cars offer in my opinion:

Useless:
    Sunroof: Our roads are dust heavens, sunroof is super useless features. My friends use them when they go to hill stations (once in a year :smuggrin:)
    Push button start: My Honda Activa has it since its launch, what is so drool worthy about it?
    Handle bar pull type door handles: I mean it opens the door, what else?
    Low-speed/zero speed pickup. (in jams, cars keep tailgating so much not even a pedestrian can cross in between, I don't get the logic, u still reach the office with same delay)

Useful:
    Electric folding mirrors (really useful)
    Auto/AMT (only useful in urban setting with daily commute with jams) - but comes with extra maintenance
    Bottle holders (Useful, but such a overrated feature - I wonder people buy cars travel to keep bottles?
    Built in touch screen ICE/Navigation: Useful but comes with its own disadvantages, it requires you to take your eyes off the road for operating it, (normal ice, you can just feel the controls and operate it. But I guess, if you give steering mounted controls, it is justified).

Luckily for me, what all I want in a car is there in my linea, For me it is "made for me" product. I don't care much for useless extras...

The reality is, these useless extras, will make aam junta buy, but not enjoy it. It might be boast worthy, that's it.
  3. Murphy_Fiat

Murphy_Fiat Superiore

Trivandrum
    Trivandrum
    Linea T-Jet
    I Just Want a Reach Adjustable Steering and Honda City Like Gear Box.
    asimpleson and rusticnomad like this.
  4. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    People aren't buying cause they not selling sir. In Mumbai I say Abarth created more interest than their other cars. Queries were handled that it will launch soon. Still no sign of selling. Last time I checked website did not mention Mumbai prices either.

Just now I re-read about Logan. Space is definitely not a USP for front passengers. Adequate for avg Indian height but dash is too low and not comfortable for tall guy knee rooms. Apart from that its solid value car which is perhaps the best diesel engine and gb combo irrespective of that low power specification on paper. It feels effortless in both city and highway and gives steady fuel efficiency are its biggest strengths. The engine is much less talked about than it deserves to be. Was wondering if the same combo could be fixed in Linea with similar tune :wtf:
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2016
  5. acechip

acechip Superiore

It is a Dacia powered by Renault, after all!:rolleyes: But hey, all cars with a good value proposition seem to suffer from perception issues. And their manufacturers try some of the stupidest things to overcome this. The new Duster 2016 @ the expo for example. It has been given this metrosexual feel inside just to compete with that new gal Creta. So completely unnecessary. People dont buy a Duster for its looks but for its go-anywhere practicality and rugged, no-nonsense engine. The Avventura has also been glammed up similarly.
    asimpleson likes this.
  6. manjunathkl

manjunathkl Amatore

Bangalore
    Linea 1.4
    Value features are very different from glam features. For a not-so-technical junta, you cannot sell based on value (especially if the value is in the internals). That is why Maruti sells on mileage/service center in every street etc. India spec Swift, Alto800 were sent to Euro NCAP, they were all returned with 0 stars. Alto came back with a note that it is structurally weak, so it won't pass the test even if they fit airbags. The day consumer understands technical stuff, all the good value cars will start selling. All good value car brands must start educating junta as to what their cars mean. It is a slow process, but surely will start the change.
  7. rusticnomad

rusticnomad Amatore

Indore
    Indore
    Linea T-Jet
    @prabhjot -- Pl don't call me sir. It's 21st century :)

Why I feel 500X would have been a better proposition compared to Renegade. Perhaps they should have got both in one go to address a wider demography in one shot, more so as they both are on same platform right?
    • Sexy design. The side profile from far WILL lure a prospective buyer to get closer to the car. Once that happens, it's all about how good a salesman is to a n00b buyer.
    • It has all the bells and whistles depending on the variant.
    • Renegade looks Yeti like design, which personally i don't like. I am sure there would be many who would have loved 500X compared to Renegade when it comes to overall aesthetic appeal.
    • Compass again is a good design. Somehow, something about Renegade's design doesn't seduce me when I see the pics:)
    When I have enough cash, Figo (third year started this year) will depart and that's when I am in market for a new vehicle. I am so sold to 500X's design and overall package that I will buy it if it is a "Made In India" package. Side profile makes me look at it again and again and @ half the cost of Q3 it would really have made the real difference for buyers who can't stretch budget to Q3 but love to take a similar exterior design. Nothing to beat 500X in that compartment. As fpor resale, I will scrap it once it outlives its purpose.

I am sure that if it was not PUNTO rehash, Abarth powered or Abarth * would have sold in good numbers. With no "VISIBLE-and-SUBSTANTIAL" differentiating factor wrt PUNTO, buyers turned the other way. Please look at it this way. Buyers want to FLAUNT also and with no substantial differentiating factor, a 6 lac car looked like a 10 lac car. That killed major prospects and majority are those who also want to FLAUNT their possession wherein the "neighbor" can guess the price without being told that it is not PUNTO but ABARTH PUNTO.
    Murphy_Fiat and prabhjot like this.
  8. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Sorry for sounding pedantic but I always thought its Dacia that powered Renault.

Correct me anyone if dci is originally a Renault. A link about the engine's origins will help. I know the car but the engine also is Dacia's own? :confused:

@acechip I don't know about popular looks opinion about duster, but it always looked pretty close to perfect and proportioned well within its own design and objective constraints. Also the built quality is more than reasonable if not the best in class. Will check out the new Duster 2016 pics now.
    --- Double Post Merged, Feb 6, 2016, Original Post Date: Feb 6, 2016 ---
    @rusticnomad, Renault is serious player which is now more than evident by their latest products. You always have option of Duster 4x4 for couple of good reasons. The fact that these have better chassis reinforcements especially in Indian versions (a lesser publicised fact) and also the fact that it has an independent suspension in this variant. It is a perfect city highway and mild offroading capable car and therefore a stable sturdy and fine package. I am eager to find what works against it. Looks I won't count for a vehicle like duster since its very subjective. Maybe price which has been a big sour point for many willing to buy it.
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2016
    rusticnomad, acechip and gpunto75 like this.
  9. acechip

acechip Superiore

@asimpleson to be precise, the DCI engines are originally co-developed by Renault-Nissan. Dacia has been developing the various models that are now on sale in India and other countries (Logan, Duster, Lodgy) but its parent Renault is alo involved in the engineering, as per Wikipedia.
    As you said, Renault had made several changes to the regular European Duster before bringing it to India particularly considering the road conditions here. My personal experience is that it is, hands down, the most comfortable car as a driver/passenger you can find south of 15 lacs , as it just flattens down the rough surfaces , especially at speeds greater than 30 kph. Even on the slower speeds, you do not feel the thuds/bumps because of the long suspension travel. A colleague of mine , who is a "fast" driver, says he has never ever slowed down on bad surfaces in the 47000km ownership of his Duster, and is a bit apprehensive and amazed he hasnt broken anything in the suspension department. He is an avid glider/recreational aeromodeller and so his leisure trips take him to some real countryside/offroad territory. So to bring context to the post, it is every bit Fiat-like in its chassis engineering. If only Fiat had been a bit more agile in introducing the Avventura between Feb-14 and Nov-14.
    prabhjot and asimpleson like this.
  10. rusticnomad

rusticnomad Amatore

Indore
    Indore
    Linea T-Jet
    @asimpleson -- Yes, Duster is in the bucket list besides XUV. Still, two long years to go for collecting cash and retiring the Figo. Let's see what the market gets in the next two years in the non Maruti/Hyundai segment.
    asimpleson likes this.