1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Avventura: Rear Parking Sensors, Reverse Camera and warranty implications

Discussion in 'Fiat OEM Spares & Accessories' started by Tanay, May 11, 2015.

1. Tanay

Tanay Novizio

Bangalore
    Avventura 1.3 90 HP
    Hi :)

I'm planning to buy an Avventura (diesel, Emotion), and checked with two dealers in Bangalore: KHT Fiat Caffe, Domlur and Vecto Motors, Hosur Road. From both, I got conflicting information about the installation of rear parking sensors and reversing camera, which is causing me confusion. I'm sure after-market RPS and reversing-camera can be installed on Avventura as I've seen some guys in the forum having RPS and camera installed on their rides. However, I'm seeking information about Fiat-approved OEM accessories and warranty-related implications of going with after-market solutions that are provided (endorsed?) by the dealers themselves.

Vecto Motors says that RPS can't be installed in Avventura at all (OEM or after-market), so there's no question of Fiat providing one for it officially. And while they (the dealer themselves) can install the reverse-camera, it is not an official accessory and so any electricial warranty will be void the moment the car is out of their showroom. On my insistence, he confirmed the same from their FASS and they also hold the same opinion.

KHT Fiat, on the other hand, says that RPS can be installed in Avventura and it will be Fiat OEM accessory. They, however, say that installing RPS on Avventura is useless because they don't work with the tail-mounted spare wheel. The warranty, however, will not be void for installed RPS as it's Fiat OEM accessory. Makes any sense? For the camera, they have similar story as the other dealer that it won't be Fiat approved, they can install one, but they need to check if it has any warranty implications.

From what I've read online (various reviews, etc) Fiat says that they've re-calibrated the RPS to account for the Avventura's spare-wheel, which means that the RPS should be both installable and compatible with the car. OEM accessory means that there shouldn't be any warranty-related issues. However, I couldn't find any Fiat OEM reverse-camera, so not sure about that.

So, are these dealers making sense? Who is stating the correct information? And in case the members here recommend after-market solutions, which brands/products should I be looking for? Are they worth voiding the electrical-warranty of the car, if applicable?

2. Saket Sidana

Saket Sidana Regolare

Delhi NCR
    Linea T-Jet
    I also wanted to install rear view camera and checked with Fiat India. They replied over email that it's not an OEM fitment and would void the warranty. So, I didn't go ahead with it. My TJet has reverse sensors provided as a standard fitment on Emotion variant, so that helps a bit.
    Tanay likes this.
  3. Tanay

Tanay Novizio

Bangalore
    Avventura 1.3 90 HP
    @Saket Sidana

Thanks for replying. So if Linea doesn't have the official reverse-camera, then I guess it's safe to assume that Avventura won't get it either, something which is in agreement to what both the dealers are saying. What's the mail id you sent your query to? Is it 'service.india@fcagroup.com' as listed in their Customer Support page?
  4. Saket Sidana

Saket Sidana Regolare

Delhi NCR
    Linea T-Jet
    Tanay likes this.
  5. Tanay

Tanay Novizio

Bangalore
    Avventura 1.3 90 HP
  6. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    @Tanay

Don't know if @Saket Sidana or @Tornado or @Vidhyashankar Kannan would agree but IF you do feel you need a reverse parking aid perhaps the Fiat oem sensors without camera would do, whether recaliberated or not, it'll be a breeze to adjust for the spare wheel once you 'get used to'. No?
    Tanay and Saket Sidana like this.
  7. Saket Sidana

Saket Sidana Regolare

Delhi NCR
    Linea T-Jet
    @prabhjot, sensors work for almost 90% of the situations for me. There are few close situations while reversing in my office or while parking where sometimes I need to get out of the car and analyze how much more I can reverse. This may be due to the reason that I am not fully accustomed to a big car and partly that I don't want to take a hit, so prefer going out and checking the distance. Not a major nuisance. Camera in such situations would easily avoid that. Anyhow, not a major problem and agree that sensors can handle fully for a person who is better at reversing than me.
    Tanay and prabhjot like this.
  8. Tornado

Tornado Superiore

Driver's seat.
    Western Maharashtra
    Avventura 1.3 90 HP
    For Avventura, Reverse cam with RPS with sensitive distance indicators would be helpful as they are installed in rear bumper and start beeping according to distance left for the spare wheel to bang on the wall or car behind, and one can know this distance by measuring the spare wheel cap width +distance between the boot lid & the spare wheel.

I have installed reverse cam without sensors which is installed (electric supply taken from reverse light) without cutting wires, cam location is on the regn number plate . But this again doesn't help taking the spare wheel in account, though the spare wheel latch located at lowest part of spare wheel cap is visible on the screen . So looking in the screen mounted on IRVM, one needs to learn to avoid spare wheel cap banging on the wall behind by trial & error method, and it is not that problematic.
    At present, my reverse screen is given for repair because it rattles everytime a door is closed.
    Since, sunfilms are not allowed by law, I have not installed them and in sunny daytime view of the reverse screen is not that rewarding.
    My reverse screen also has got a DVR cam in it which rotates in 180degrees and can be useful to record the road scene and the in car happenings if I happen to appoint a chauffeur for my kids.

AFA, warranty issue is concerned, any after market addition can void warranty as per owner's manual, however I have not confirmed it with fiats.

Frankly speaking, my reverse cam helps me avoid kids playing behind the car and also help me see any slim tree or pole exactly behind the c pillars (these two factors are important for me) and not to save the spare wheel from banging on the wall.

Me feels, all the Avventura owners, while answering feed back calls from FCA about satisfaction, should tell them to provide reverse cam +sensors so as to label the car 'satisfactory'.
    Tanay likes this.
  9. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    @Tanay

The best people to resolve this conflicting issue are Fiat India themselves. Write to them about the two different views from the dealers and let them resolve it. Avventura definitely needs some reverse parking aid till the time one gets accustomed to the spare tyre on the door mind block. Simple thing - if Fiat provides the sensors, then it will honour the warranty too. If it does not, then forget about the warranty.

@Tornado By any chance a reverse camera can be installed on the spoiler so that the spare tyre can be seen too. If cam is installed on the bumper, then the spare tyre cannot be viewed when reversing.
    Tanay and prabhjot like this.
  10. Tanay

Tanay Novizio

Bangalore
    Avventura 1.3 90 HP
    I have a question regarding the RPS. Can it be calibrated explicitly for the sensitivity to distance, like at what distance should it start beeping? If yes, can we do it ourselves after it has been installed, or only once during the installation? If not, then how do the sensors fare in Avventura given that Fiat supplies the same RPS for all of their cars?

@prabhjot

Thanks for replying. Though preferred, I don't necessarily need both RPS and camera. Only one of either is also fine. But at least initially, especially this being my first car, I think its better to have some reversing aid, particularly for things that aren't visible in any RVM (inner or outer). If Fiat offers RPS only, I'm fine with that. I'd prefer not to void the electrical warranty of the car right away until the car proves itself to be niggle-free in the next few months. I agree that once I'm comfortable with the car's dimensions, I may not be needing the reversing assistance that much. But until then, any extra help is welcome :)

@Tornado

Thanks for replying. This a very important and practical use-case. And I agree with your suggestion to Fiat. The top-end and the middle trims (if not the base trim) should definitely come with RPS pre-installed, because they're cheap and Fiat already has them available. And they should even consider adding the camera, at least as an optional OEM accessory, so that customers don't have to go for after-market solutions.

@ghodlur

Agreed. I'll be sending an email to Fiat shortly. Hopefully that will clear the picture. I'm sure that OEM RPS can be installed on Avventura. Need to know if it's any different in terms of calibration than what's offered on Punto and Linea. Thanks for replying.
    prabhjot likes this.