1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Avventura Purchase Query. EDIT: Booked Punto Evo Sport

Discussion in 'Car Purchase Queries' started by VijayakumarR, Jan 4, 2015.

1. VijayakumarR

VijayakumarR Novizio

Navi Mumbai
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    Hello everyone
    Myself, Vijayakumar have been on the lookout for a new car in the market for quite some time now. Initially was waiting for the launch of the Evo and then was waiting for the launch of the Avventura later. Managed to test drive the emotion variants of both the cars recently. I did like the feel behind the wheel on both the cars but there are few things bugging me which needs advice before i'd like to book one, preferrably the Avventura.
    • The noise from the spare wheel.
      • During Test drive i had the sales person drive the car and was observing from the rear seat. I could constantly hear the mild rattle sound on the spare wheel even when the car was driven on normal smooth road. The sound was really annoying for me. I could hear it even through the music that was played within the cabin. The sales person had no answers for it. All he said was that he will send the car to the service station and will get back to me in a few days time once the team investigates it and rectifies it. Is this a one-off case or is it really a problem ?
    • The Seating arrangement
      • Like i said earlier, i test drove both the emotion variants of the car and i kind of felt that the Evo was a bit more comforting in the drivers seat. I expected the Avventura to be better but i don't know why i felt that Evo was better. Apart from the fabric is there anything different about both the seats, i mean, w.r.t height adjustment on seats etc. ? p.s. I'm 5'11" by the way.
    • The Sales Team
      • I should say, I was really disappointed with them. To Start with, the vehicle was not in its prime condition with its fit and finish. The Speedometer was not working. The 12VDC point was not working. The plastic cladding on one side was coming off the vehicle and they haven't done anything about it. The vehicle was low on fuel and so i couldn't take a drive on the highway and when i suggested that we could refill in the nearest petrol pump the sales person came back with the answer that they don't have the money to do so now. To top it all, when i requested him to show the way to open the cover on the spare wheel the answer i got was,.."what is there to look into it, it is just a tyre behind the cover". The sales person eventually showed me the way to open the cover but i was real disappointed with the attitude of the people down there. With such people operating over there i tend to wonder if i book a car with these people will be getting a brand new car or will they be giving me a car that they have been offering for test drives. For the last reading on the odometer read H79Km, which i believe means that the car has run only 79Km since the time it first left the factory and this they did by tampering with the speedometer wire. When they can stop it at 79Km they sure can stop it at 20Km and sell it to anyone too. p.s. The sales team has not contacted me in the last 4 days for yet another test drive on the highway after i requested them to fix the speedometer and wheel cover.
    PradeepM likes this.
  2. VIJENDRA SINGH

VIJENDRA SINGH Amatore

DIBIYAPUR
    Linea T-Jet
    I have read it for sure that the rattle sound can be taken care of (many have done so) completely with some sort of minor (super cheap or free of cost) modification.
    nbvcrao and prabhjot like this.
  3. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    Hi.

Here's the thing: TD vehicles are VERY VERY overused and abused. Also, low-paid sales executives are irrelevant and should be completely ignored. It is extremely unlikely that they or any other dealer of any car brand will try palming off an abused-old vehicle as new. Though it has been known to happen. In any case, that's what a PDI, including testdrive, is for.

What you must investigate and be more concerned about is their ASS set-up, that bears some research i believe, not that I think they're good or bad, I personally don't know, maybe other TFi members can give pointers?

I believe the rattle issue has been addressed by FASS for a couple of TFi's new Avventura owners, you could read their ownership threads, and/or pm them?

Be sure to read up about PDI and sales/registration etc processes on TFi? And just ask to have doubts and queries answered.

all the best with your decision-making!

cheers
    --- Double Post Merged, Jan 4, 2015, Original Post Date: Jan 4, 2015 ---
    About the rattling:

The spare-tyre-cover rattles even-in-new cars has, apparently, been addressed by FASS already, judging by the initial ownership reports of TFi Avventura owners. Durably, one hopes.

Now, whether this configuration of spare-tyre-outside will in the long run produce more rattles than say the Ecosport's tyre-on-hatch-door is not clear at all, since rattles in the latter have been commonly reported over the last year+ of ownership of Ecosports. We'll only know in the long run. But it bears pointing out that no less than the previous-gen Mercedes M-Class SUV and the VW Touareg SUV both had a very similar mechanism.

Also, it's a case of trade-offs. Looks v/s convenience. Plus: there is a set, strict procedure to follow in the case of the Avventura's spare-tyre cover latches (in the manual, i guess?) If that is not properly followed then rattles may follow???
    PradeepM and VIJENDRA SINGH like this.
  4. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    @VijayakumarR

Porabably you must have visited Balaji Fiat at Navi Mumbai. Before writing Avventura off, I would suggest try a similar test drive with either Torrid Fiat or Balaji Fiat, Thane. Balaji Thane does have a well maintained car and I myself had taken a TD of the car, found it to be in perfect condition. Although the spare tyre rattle wasnt there but there was all scope for it. Regarding seats, I found the other way round. Felt Avventura seats to be more plush than Evo.

Fiat after sales does need a huge leap and IMO they are working on it. Your doubts of odo tampering cant be ruled out but thats case with any car manufacturer in India, no one till date does have some kind of sealing system to prevent the odo being tampered. Write to Fiat on their FB page regarding the areas where dealer needs to improve such as the fuel issue, tyre cover issue etc. Fiat does take action in this regards and dont be surprised if you get a call from the dealer for another TD.

All the best, hope you still retain the faith in Fiat cars.
    prabhjot likes this.
  5. tweeting_fiat

tweeting_fiat Timido

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Fiat Enthusiast
    Hi Vijaykumar ..I happened to take a test drive of the Avventura and Punto petrol from the above mentioned dealers (Thane dealer) a few weeks back and observed the same thing, the fuse for the ODO had been cut off (as mentioned by the dealership). Effectively the car was within the H km range (upto 100-200kms I think) also the cars were brand new and did not have TD car stickers on it. Now if their intention is to put this as TD vehicle later then OK, but how is one to know (a new buyer) if the car is used or brand new?. Even a PDI can't prove that as we look for the ODO reading within H range only.

This is where Fiat should come out with a policy for all dealers to distinctly mark as TD vehicles only. I have seen other TD cars from Fiat bearing such sticker, wonder why the dealer hasn't marked.
    VIJENDRA SINGH likes this.
  6. VijayakumarR

VijayakumarR Novizio

Navi Mumbai
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    Thank you all.
    Glad to know that few have reported fixes for the rattle issue in this forum.
    Had called up Balaji Fiat in Nerul and Thane to request yet another test drive. Seems i'll have to wait for few more days, for the sales team at Nerul says their Avventura needs servicing to fix the ODO issue and the wheel rattle, while the Thane team is yet to get a test drive vehicle.
    As of now the sales team hadn't brought any smiles, but the car did, it sure was a looker.
    VIJENDRA SINGH likes this.
  7. Rahul Singh

Rahul Singh Amatore

Bangalore
    Avventura 1.3 90 HP
    Hi Vijayakumar, As an owner of Avventura, i would say that it exceeds evo in terms of driveability. The spare wheel sound comes due to 2 reasons:
    1- Spare wheel cover is not properly fixed
    2- If at all the locking mechanism is loose
    Both these things are easily taken care of. The seating position in Avvy is a bit higher than evo and its a matter of getting used to it. The only issue is with the improper spacing between clutch and dead pedal. Also, Avvy is a boon on potholed roads or no roads.

As far as Sales team is concerned, thats something which should not deter you from owning this competent machine. You won 't go wrong with an Avventura!
    mangeshtendulkar and prabhjot like this.
  8. rajeev_pillai

rajeev_pillai Regolare

Mumbai
    Kochi, Kerala
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Hi Vijayakumar,
    Welcome to TFI.
    Please try any other dealer, better avoid Balaji Cars.
    I bought my car from them, they lack professionalism in Sales and Service.

Rajeev
  9. VijayakumarR

VijayakumarR Novizio

Navi Mumbai
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    @Rajeev...
    Thanks. In Navi Mumbai i know of only two showrooms, that of Balaji Autoworld, one in Nerul and other in Thane.
    Please do suggest if you are aware of any other dealers nearby !

@Rahul Singh
    Thanks. Feels good to hear an owner 's assuring words. I was a bit worried about the noise, for the sales person who accompanied me was clueless about the solution to the noise. I got a call from Balaji Fiat for yet another test drive of Avventura saying that the ODO and 12VDC socket is fixed, hope they have the noise issue fixed too. Will pay them a visit this Saturday. Hope i get the right feel to book one.
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2015
    prabhjot likes this.
  10. VijayakumarR

VijayakumarR Novizio

Navi Mumbai
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    Hello Friends,
    Feeling so good to have booked a Punto Evo Sport :angelic::):)
    Have always liked Fiat as a brand and the Punto for its looks and this forum strengthened those feelings further.
    Thanks to all those straight forward reviews and comments posted by fellow members about Evo and Avventura.
    It sure did help a lot in my decision making.
    Did a test drive of Avventura to start with, then Evo Emotion, finally the Evo Sport and it was the sport that connected better to me :).
    Like many who have said earlier there wasn't much of a punch till the early part of 3rd Gear, but once the speed got over 50kmph and the gear going up, it sure was bliss, everything i hoped for in a car for the price it was asking. Am so glad to have booked one.
    And a special thanks to @ghodlur for having suggested Torrid Fiat, Looking forward for their delivery now ;)
    Cheers
    Vijayakumar R