1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Avventura Exports

Discussion in 'Fiat India News' started by Vidhyashankar Kannan, Mar 6, 2015.

1. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    @Vidhyashankar Kannan @asimpleson @acechip @teja

Question is: should they not (a) as VidhyaS says focus on exportable new models/variants? (b) drastically reduce dealerships, focussing tightly on only the top 12-15 city-regions only, including potentially CoCo showrooms and ass centres, as well 'Fiat Cafe'/'Car-o-Bar' style boutique formats in say the top5-8 cities (c) outsource ASS to third party multi-brand providers as much as possible (d) get very aggressive on e-commerce platforms like amazon, snapdeal etc.

The launch of the new Jeep dealerships at the end of this year, or the beginning of next year (16 is the rumoured initial number of dealers) is an opportunity to also sideline the 'Fiat' moniker/brand and replace it instead by 'Abarth' and by the '500 (L, Living, X...) sub-brand.

That way one can ensure Jeep is not infected by association AND you start seeding a premium line-up (even if CBU at say Skoda Yeti or Mini -like prices, though at least ckd+localized engines and transmissions are surely viable?).

After all, it is almost certain that in say 3 or 4 years' time the new Alfa Romeo-s will also be retailed out of Jeep showrooms, in India and elsewhere, including in Europe and China, head-to-head against Audi, Mercedes, JLR and BMW.

Meanwhile the 'Fiat' branded cars (the Evo, Avventura and Linea) will need to be souped up with t-jets, bigger diesels and ddct transmissions and touchscreens, given the Panda's 4x4 system or at least the 'Traction+' system etc, even if priced much higher, and targetted only at bigger-city 'hip' or 'cosmo' folk. Priced aggressively but NOT/NEVER easily discounted, even if losses result. Followed, say as a last throw of the dice for the brand, by a well-priced (borderline) d-segment car, locally made, say an affordable version of the 500L if not the 500X, in end-2016?

BUT: closing down redundant showrooms, though not necessarily their FASS, in 'redundant' cities will be essential, in order to invest saved resources into greatly improving standards of brand-experince from dealer staff to car-o-bar/fiat cafe-style ambient brand-spaces to the whole idiom as well as the choice of communication channels for advertizing, since the whole brand positioning will have to either be at best 'retro' and, as a norm, Euro-chic NOT desi-aspirational-mass-middle-class-market.

PS: I do wish they find a way to actually derive some mileage (pun!) out of their old old Indian presence via 'nostalgic' videos on at least niche tv channels and the internet AND by doing a proper 'retro' (Fiat Select/1100/Padmini) front and rear restyling of the Linea! i.e., the sort of marketing approach they follow, in part, in Europe.

The great french ad-marketing-head of FCA globally for all brands, Olivier Francois, needs to start paying some analytic attention to India, EVEN if it is not evidently worth his direct as opposed to delegated time. Am not sure there are any marketing/ad-firms in India equal to the peculiar and very tricky brand-communication problems the uniquely historically positioned Fiat brand suffers from. There CERTAINLY aren't any in FCA India,

Treat India as if it were Europe or at least Turkey, NOT as an all-too aspirational all-too 'emerging market'. That latter India has definitively shut Fiat, and a few other EuroAmerican car firms, out, for good!?
    Vidhyashankar Kannan likes this.
  2. Vidhyashankar Kannan

Vidhyashankar Kannan Regolare

Hyderabad
    Hyderabad
    Avventura 1.3 90 HP
    I am sure that if we outsiders are thinking of all these things, the folks at Fiat must have thought about all of this a long time back. Ultimately, if they have still not decided to move on these points, especially the simple fixes like niggles and plonking a powerful and compatible engine, then they are doing it for a purpose or on purpose

Maybe this is all the presence they need. Maybe their agenda is something else. Maybe India is just a base to start exporting. They could be perfectly happy with the profits they are making in India. After all, Maruti's higher sales is actually benefiting Fiat too. Fiat are laughing all the way to bank when they see the rising Maruti sales. If it were me, I would just sit pretty sipping a pina colada outsourcing the engines and watch the money roll in. Why go through the trouble of doing customer centric studies and market sentiments and try to address them only to get ridiculed in the end?

I would be "nice" to the country by showing that I am serious about selling here too while my main agenda is exports and profits.

Fiat is no idiot. They are masters at car manufacturing. They have some of the best designers in the world. They can cross pollinate their various ventures using the best of each.

Besides, if Chevy is making huge losses in India and still continuing to keep their presence alive, I'm sure Fiat will have no problems lasting it out as they are anyway profitable.

So right now, my near-extinct Avvy beckons to be driven hard. And I will. Have fun everyone, keep driving your Fiats till you can.
    Amit Rox and prabhjot like this.
  3. RaviHegde

RaviHegde Regolare

Karnataka
    14.62°N 74.85°E
    Grande Punto 1.4
    Knowing the build quality - probably it will last so long that I will have to give up when I cannot drive any more! Believe me that is what has happened to many Padmini owners. My friend's dad had a Padmini. My friend used to drive it because his dad could not drive any more because of old age. So ... keep driving your Fiats till you can :D
  4. acechip

acechip Superiore

Aww man. Dont make a new born "extinct". It is exclusive until Fiat decides its extinct. And that red color is truly exclusive.

I am sure come 2017, this forum will be discussing why 500X or Renegade is not selling vis-a-vis the next gen Duster/IX25/S-Cross/Mahindra-various .
  5. Vidhyashankar Kannan

Hyderabad
    Hyderabad
    Avventura 1.3 90 HP
    Ok @acechip . I take back my sarcasm on the dinosaur simili. And thank you for the compliment. The car does attract attention.

That is hilarious. ROTFL. The very assumption that the cars will not be selling yet we will be discussing the merits/turbo lags.
    prabhjot likes this.
  6. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    The Avventura has just been launched in Nepal, which maybe worth a car or ten a month, but there's surely no more appropriate, affordable yet charismatic car for that country?

@Vidhyashankar Kannan
    Amit Rox likes this.
  7. Vidhyashankar Kannan

Hyderabad
    Hyderabad
    Avventura 1.3 90 HP
    Thank you @prabhjot , that is indeed interesting news. And with its high GC, the Avvy deserves a terrain like Nepal to show off. It should command good street presence there especially against those glorious backdrops. Let's see how it sells. But I assume that once again Maruti is the king in Nepal too? Earnestly asking because I don't know.
  8. AVS10

AVS10 Timido

Delhi NCR
    Delhi NCR
    Retro / Classic FIAT
    The Avvy is a true cross over compared to the other plastic cladded gimmicks. Atleast to me it does. Probably what's missing is a 4 wheel drive with a go anywhere capability. Also a six speed gear box to bring in the ability to crawl out of sticky situations.
    prabhjot likes this.