1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Avventura Emotion vs Punto Evo 90HP

Discussion in 'Car Purchase Queries' started by Tanay, Apr 14, 2015.

1. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    I guess Fiat got carried away trying to be true and authentic to the pure 'Cross'-over IDEA/FUNDA in both form (outside spare tyre with that beauty of a cover and than super-safe 'mechanism') AND engineering substance (ride, gc, and yet handling).

They forgot to notice that we in India prefer, as a rule, form-rather-than-engineering-substance, and in any case most often intend using our Cross-over vehicles much more to the mall and office than to and therefore for....'cross'-ing the country(side) and the hills and ghats.

And so even the one awesomely character-defining formal/aesthetic trait (the external spare tyre)...is wasted on us. Give us the Etios...er..Cross, instead, esp the bright-silver plastic cladding. Or the Hyundai i20 Active(ly going to the mall)!

Even though the bestselling Ecosport has an external spare tyre too? With far WORSE practicality than the Avventura's (zilch bumper protection, a VERY heavy to open and close tailgate that rattles and is guaranteed to for ever since all of the tyre's weight is forever on it, and NOT easily fixed either.)

Sigh.
    Tanay likes this.
  2. Tanay

Tanay Novizio

Bangalore
    Avventura 1.3 90 HP
    @driveit

Fair points.

@kk27

Its surprising, because nobody else in official/unofficial reviews mentioned the improved gearbox. I'll pay special attention to differences in gearbox and engine performance when I test-drive the Avventura and Evo 90HP again.

And I agree with your points regarding the Continental GT. The two bikes are very different, cater to different riders, and are good at what they are supposed to do.

@jumu

That's an interesting view. If you don't like the USP of Avventura (the SUV-looks, the spare-wheel, bumpers, etc), then why not go with a Punto instead? In your opinion, is Avventura so much better that you'd prefer to buy an Avventura and then do a DIY-job to reduce it to Punto rather than just buying the latter?
    --- Double Post Merged, Apr 16, 2015, Original Post Date: Apr 16, 2015 ---
    @prabhjot

I think Fiat did the right thing by bringing not just aesthetic/cosmetic changes, but also necessary engineering changes in Avventura. If they want to market a new product as something different/more/better than their current base product, it should offer something substantially more than mere aesthetics.

The thing is that unlike customers in other developed nations, most Indians can afford only one car. They don't have the luxury of having one city car, one cruiser/GT car, one sports car, one off-road car, etc. And so, they want their one car to be able to do everything (reasonably) well, and understandably, look good while doing so (practicality included). Which sets the bar quite high for these international manufacturers to come up with products that can meet this wide criteria. Actually, if we evaluate Avventura on all these metrics, we see that it actually does most of these things pretty well, but then so does the Punto.

Another thing is that even if your car does 50% urban commutes and 50% countryside/highway runs (distance-wise), it still has to spend considerably more time (days/occasions) in city compared to outside. And so, in city practicality weighs up far more. If you own an Avventura, do you think your time spent in highway/ghats/off-roading will be more than city commutes, assuming you have only one car?

Having said that, I must say that Volkswagen and Toyota have brought disappointment to their Cross offerings. They just added plastics all-around, and called it a day. If the manufacturer itself is not taking their product seriously, how do they expect the customers to? Hyundai, like Fiat, has done a better job with the i20 Active, because they too improved the ground-clearance over the i20 Elite and added useful bits like DRL and projector-lamps.

I don't know about the long-term rattling prospects of EcoSport when compared to Avventura, but I'd rate it's tailgate opening mechanism to be a notch higher than the Avventura. Simply because you can open it partially, unlike Avventura where you have to open the spare-wheel fully before you can even try lifting the hatch-door. Maybe Fiat could have picked up a hybrid approach where the spare-wheel continues to be mounted separately on the bumper (as it's now) to avoid its weight on the hatch-door, but connect the spare-wheel with the hatch-door and make the hatch-door too open sideways with the spare-wheel. That way, it will be a more conventional way to open the boot (for vehicles with backpack spare-wheels) and you get the ability to open the boot partially too, very useful in tight spots.
    prabhjot likes this.
  3. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    @Tanay

Mind me asking if you have test driven both the 90 Hp and Avvy back to back. If not suggest you do so. Take a smooth tarmac followed by a totally broken road (I mean which does resemble a road). Drive both the cars on these stretches and I am sure you will come out with an obvious choice. If still confused, then the only decided is the cash in your pocket (if still interested in Fiat).
  4. Tanay

Tanay Novizio

Bangalore
    Avventura 1.3 90 HP

No, I haven't test-driven the Avventura yet. I could only test-drive the Punto 90HP as the show-room guys couldn't arrange the Avventura (diesel) then. You're right in that the only sure way to decide between the two and to eliminate any confusions between the subtle differences is to test-drive them back to back. I'll visit other Bangalore dealers next week, and try to arrange longer test-drives. Thanks :)
  5. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    @Tanay

As far as I can make out (scooter-lover to KTM urban roadie, me and thou), these days in our cities: cars don't make an iota of sense, especially practical. Scoots, bikes, autos, UBER-like cabs, even metro+bus+local train (if available, such as they are) make vastly more sense, singly and in convenient combination: economic, time-wise, sociable, civic, safer, cleaner, etc.

So the last reason one should buy a car (especially as a family) is the urban-commute-practical. Just a painful, expensive, depreciating narcissistic cocoon....to be stuck in traffic (jams) in, going everywhere all too slowly and expensively, and not safely either (esp for others: the world's worst road safety by far, killing cyclists and pedestrians...and bikers by the lakh). Not to mention air-fouling (you should've been in Delhi a month ago: toxic!)

EXCEPT: for the fantasy, the pleasure of it (and I don't mean 'social status seeking'), the taste for it (engineering, speed, design, brand story/identity/heritage). i.e., AESTHETICS.

In that sense then, a car like the Avventura is seductive: it postulates a certain (affordable, middle class) fantasy of sport/adventure/youth/'cross'-over-ing with strength and sophistication (rather than say bling and kitsch).

It helps that this fantasy is real and true in its case (a rare feat in the Indian mass market), since it can actually 'do' what its 'Avventura' fantasy-moniker incites one to. It's a Fiat, after all.

I do feel one only ever buys a fantasy/a theatrical-performance-to-oneself when one buys a car, a seductive illusion-made-of-metal-and-plastic-and-rubber NOT practicality (in Indian cities).

And so the Avventura: pleasurable, singular, funky fantasy in traffic/to office/to mall...but affordable, compact...and constantly capable and urging one to be 'avventurous' and head for open roads, even if broken, a-cross the country, away from the malls, the offices, and the awful brutal traffic congestion.

It's great visual-design 'illusionism'/fantasy is real and true. Like a KTM's. Like my Vespa's. A rare achievement in the Indian car market, and reason enough? to buy it!

PS: cannot but urge you to wait for the t-jet (Diwali?). It's even 'practical', ha ha: should give 11-12 kpl in the city, with AC!
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2015
    Tanay likes this.
  6. Tanay

Tanay Novizio

Bangalore
    Avventura 1.3 90 HP
    @prabhjot

The cons of driving & maintaining a car in city can't be denied. But one unbeatable utility of a car is that it makes you weather-proof. Be it summer, winter or rains. You no longer need to avoid travelling (or run for shelter) when it's pouring. Also, it protects you from the outside dust, dirt and smoke, though ironically (and sadly), generating the same for others!

And yes, the thought of a T-Jet mill is very tempting. Moving from the Duke 390 (that does 0-100 in 5.5 sec) to a Punto/Avventura (or any affordable car, for that matter), I know I'm going to miss that adrenaline-rush of occasional WOT acceleration. A T-Jet can really sweeten the deal a whole lot more. But I'll have to wait for 6 months for launch and maybe further to actually get my hands on one (I'd assume there will be heavy initial bookings). But, will have to deal with the terrible fuel-economy compared to MJD as it's not fair to expect both...
    prabhjot likes this.
  7. Tanay

Tanay Novizio

Bangalore
    Avventura 1.3 90 HP
    TD Update:

Returned back to Bangalore from my hometown last week. I did two test-drive comparisons of Avventura and Punto, one at my hometown and one in Bangalore. At my hometown, I got an opportunity to try out the two cars on uneven soft road (without tarmac), and I could notice the difference in the ride quality easily. The Avventura (diesel) was easier to drive, and the suspension setup absorbed the road-variations much better than Punto (1.2 FIRE). The showroom was near to a railway line, on the backside of the railway-station where commercial trucks used to load goods from/into trains. The road was rough with uneven surfaces and the speed-breakers here were gigantic (maybe to allow trucks only), and it didn't seem like even Avventura would be able to go over them (didn't dare trying the Punto here). But even with 4 people onboard, the car went over most of them fine. However, it managed to scrape its under-body on a couple of them anyway. The car was spanking-clean white when we started, and was covered in dirt all over the side and rear body when we returned (more dirt than white) :D. Came out impressed with Avventura...

After returning to Bangalore, to compare the engine and gearbox of Avventura and Punto 90HP, I visited Vecto Motors. Fortunately, both the test cars had similar odo readings, around 3.5k KMs and so the comparison was fair. Here, in the normal roads, I tried to focus more on the low-end performance of the engines, and deliberately short-shifted the cars around 2k+ RPM. The difference between the behaviour of the two engines was significant. When shifting at 2k RPM, Punto 90HP's engine felt heavily turbo-lagged, and even after flooring the pedal, I had to wait long in every gear for the struggling engine to catch up. The turbo-lag was present in case of Avventura too, but here it was much lesser than the Punto 90HP (for similar gear-shifting pattern), and the car accelerated better at lower RPMs. Avventura scored the point again...

With both these test-drives, the decision became simple: it's going to be the Avventura... :)
  8. Tanay

Tanay Novizio

Bangalore
    Avventura 1.3 90 HP
    Final update:

Bought Avventura Emotion in the signature colour Zafferano Orange. Car is already with the dealer and is expected to be delivered by next week.

I'd like to thank all of you guys (@ghodlur , @prabhjot , @Saket Sidana , @nibedk , @kgramesh , @manas_270 , @kk27 , @asimpleson , @driveit , @jumu) for helping me out in evaluating and making the purchase decision. It really made the difference. Thanks again :)

By the way, how to edit the title of the thread and close it?
  9. kgramesh

kgramesh Amatore

Palakkad, KL
    Linea T-Jet
    Congrats Tanay for following your heart. Do post your experience with the beauty and Drive Safe :).
    Tanay likes this.
  10. Tanay

Tanay Novizio

Bangalore
    Avventura 1.3 90 HP
    Thanks @kgramesh. I'll post my experience here.