1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Avventura Emotion vs Punto Evo 90HP

Discussion in 'Car Purchase Queries' started by Tanay, Apr 14, 2015.

1. manas_270

manas_270 Timido

Hyderabad
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    Aha!! So I am not the only one in the same boat. Good to see I have company :)

Especially with the leaked Punto T-Jet pics, guess it is worth the wait since it is inevitably confirmed but the only thing being the launch timeframe. Hope FIAT gets it sooner than Diwali timeframe.

@Tanay

Tanay, if I were you, would go with the Evo 90HP more for the practicality point of view
    Tanay likes this.
  2. kk27

kk27 Amatore

Kandivali - Mumbai
    Kandivali - Mumbai
    Fiat Enthusiast
    I'd go with Avvy if I were in your place, simpler reasons.
    1-better gear box than evo,
    2-It's road presence,
    3-Avvy's New'ness,
    4-an all extra spare alloy wheel!!!,
    5-no rattle tools box since the inside spare tyre mould makes a great tools section & fiat have done very well to use this space smartly.

And yes on the Bullet handling... well tried the new Continental GT? it's quite a handler, though not the snaking thru traffic types but pretty much a highway beast. How do I know.... I own it :)
    Tanay and prabhjot like this.
  3. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    A well beefed up suspension and improved undercarriage and the fact that it has better road dominance (presence) all work in favour of the Avventura. While agreed the rear tyre can be an issue, be rest assured, it will not create a dent in your ownership experience. Best of all definitely it will be a huge safety contributor in case of a rear impact, on which we have least control as a driver.

While most arguments are valid, it will really come down to would you in your mind and with your financial outlook prefer to spend that extra bit for the Avventura. I am personally not a fan of Black interiors although many prefer it that way for reasons of practicality more often. On count of interiors I think you should not base your decision making, making it the lowest ranking criteria in buying decision, because the interiors are pretty much good and equivalent on both the cars.

Although Fiat has marketed it as a CUV and definitely not to disguise it as a compact SUV, it is a pretty capable machine for that marginal tough road conditions where the suspension will be a huge benefit and totally worth the extra premium the Avventura calls for. If stretching budget is an issue then 90hp is a no-brainer of a decision. Perhaps the best package in terms of looks, performance and FE in Fiat's offerings.
  4. Tanay

Tanay Novizio

Bangalore
    Avventura 1.3 90 HP
    @nibedk

Appreciate the well-written and detailed reply...

I get your point. I'm not into the idea of off-roading as such as I'd like to be gentle with my primary commute-car at least. Though in rare occasions, depending on the (lack of) roads, the car may do some soft-roading. But I think Punto will anyway fare better than most other cars on bad roads due to its suspension setup and 185mm GC.

I too prefer the interiors of the Evo 90HP over the Avventura. Both the all-black interiors and the storage-pocket instead of the off-road dials. The black-gray dashboard setup on Avventura looks fine actually, but then for some reason they've thrown brown into the mix. Doors are black+brown, seats are brown+black+gray, dash is black+gray. Had it been only black+gray, it would've been better, IMHO.

No doubt about the young & energetic looks of Avventura. Goes particularly well with bright/flashy colours.

Your points make sense. I agree that while the ride should be better in the Avventura compared to the Evo due to higher stance and tuned suspension, Evo should handle better because of lower GC and slightly lesser weight. Given that I'll be driving 99% on-road, I think Punto is going to be as good an option as the Avventura is.

I see the point. While the car will see highways and ghats, the days spent in city will be far more than the days spent outside. Hence the concern.

Now that you've driven the Avventura, do you miss the newer tune in your Punto 90HP? Going by the reviews, most of them complain about the low-end city drivability of the MJD 90 HP, so I get confused even more. Does it get frustrating, or is it just that a little improvement could've been better type of complain? Because in case of the latter, you adjust to it over time and it doesn't bother you much. But in the former case, it keeps reminding you of the short-coming and you feel it every time you drive it. Maybe if there's any possibility of getting the Avvy's ECU mapping to Punto in future, the Punto will become an even better choice that it is.

This is the point which concerns me the most about the Avventura, and I completely agree with you here that the cost of the SUV looks of the Avvy has to be paid in terms of practicality & convenience.

All your points make sense, and given my set of requirements, I'm inclining towards Punto to be a better option for overall ownership.

Thanks again :)
    --- Double Post Merged, Apr 15, 2015 ---
    @manas_270

Thanks for your opinion. At the end of the day, practicality matters a lot, IMHO.

@kk27

Is there any difference between the gearbox between the Punto and the Avventura? I didn't hear about it anywhere.

I agree that alloy wheel and proper tyre for the spare is the right choice Fiat made for Avventura. Don't know why did they supply the non-alloy R14 tyre for Evo 90HP. The cost-cutting here, IMO, isn't worth the stability issues and the risks the spare tyre brings. Could the car become unbalanced with the unbalanced wheel?

Where is the toolbox stored in regular Punto? Does it rattle because of that?

And lastly, while I agree that the Continental GT is superior to any other bike RE has produced, I can bet it can't beat the performance, agility and handling-prowess of KTM Duke 390. But then, I know RE's are known for their relaxed cruising abilities, something which is not the strong-point of the KTMs, so it all boils down to taste & preferences! The bike loves to carve corners, and I've tried it in the ghats to the point where the foot-pegs scrape the ground :)
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2015
    prabhjot likes this.
  5. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    @Tanay

A KTM 390 owner and lover in India prioritizing 'practicality'! What is this I am hearing?!:D

Mefeels the Avventura has 'character' and 'singularity' (panache yet tough, expressive yet not gaudy...) in spades, just like the KTM-s. Even more than the Punto Evo. And it is practical too (the rear spare-wheel grouses are way overblown, imo), only more so. Would get either the white or the dark-tan one though, meself.

cheers
    Tanay likes this.
  6. driveit

driveit Amatore

chennai
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    90HP turbo-lag is not that critical. As I have been using my 90HP for last 4 months I didn't feel any drastic lag. I had the same confusion with AVVY but finally decided to go with 90HP. I am really enjoying city as well as highway (later is real fun. Even touched 150 without any flying feeling!).

AVVY is really a head-turner!!
  7. Tanay

Tanay Novizio

Bangalore
    Avventura 1.3 90 HP
    @asimpleson

Agree with your points. I never thought it this way that the spare-wheel of the Avventura can also double-up as a rear crash-guard/crumple-zone :joyful:
    I can stretch my budget, if needed for Avventura (will go with Emotion only), that's why considering both cars. And the black-interior preference is purely aesthetic. I don't like the black-beige combo most cars sport these days (including the lower variants of Punto). Good that Fiat has ditched the beige and picked a much better looking gray for the Avventura.

@prabhjot

You're right :D. A bike is a solo thing (specially so for the Duke), and so it works out fine. A car, OTOH, also serves as a family thing and so one needs to factor in practicality too. Plus, one 'grows up' with time, I guess :meh:. Sometimes I feel that an Orange Avventura along with an orange Duke will make for a cool orange garage :p

@driveit

Your words are quite relieving. Thanks :)
    --- Double Post Merged, Apr 15, 2015 ---
    @driveit

What were your considerations when deciding, and why did you pick the Punto 90HP over the Avventura?
  8. driveit

driveit Amatore

chennai
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    2 reasons. 1st is my 9yr old son, so little concerned about spare wheel position. 2nd is AVVY is little heavy so I suspect it's weight/power ratio (might affect FE!!).
    Tanay likes this.
  9. kk27

kk27 Amatore

Kandivali - Mumbai
    Kandivali - Mumbai
    Fiat Enthusiast
    The Gear Box on Avvy is very much better than the Evo, I did not feel the rubbery feeling many mention in the Avvy. Also the rails add to the sense of practicality. Means it's far more useful when you want to do loaded touring, Also since I'm a cyclists I'm probably more inclined to Avvy :). But I'm trying to be fair here :D.

On the Conti-GT taking on KTM is like apples to oranges, they are totally different segments. It's direct competition is Triumph Bonnie but there it just gets outclassed. Also while on a straight line a KTM can probably go much faster & corner far better, but the GT has such immense torque that it'll pull with the same force even with two bikes tied to it. KTM is a Rev Beast while GT is Torque Monster, so there's really no comparison between them. The GT is more of highspeed low rev pulling machine, tough one similarity is that they both probably like corners. though the GT may not like to lean as much as the KTM but it does much better than most other REs.
  10. jumu

jumu Superiore

Chennai
    If i ever buy the Avvy, I will immediately put the back pack to where it belongs, change the bumper and enjoy the drive and handling aspects of the Avvy minus the hassles of the backpack. Also I feel that the Avvy is best in bright colours. The bronzo tan is best in the showroom , but on the road, it doesnt stand out.

Abdul
    Tanay likes this.