1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

AutoCar / Overdrive - What is missing in these magazines?

Discussion in 'Hangout' started by kailashnj, Jun 23, 2011.

1. kailashnj

kailashnj Amatore

Mumbai
    Fellow TFIans

I have been reading many automobile magazines over a period of 4 to 5 years and have read most of the magazines that are published in India but always felt that something is missing in them.

I am not able to pinpoint what exactly but yes there is something which is missing. Forums like ours are more better than these magazines and though information at times is hard to find, with our seasoned players and writers, we are able to somehow get to the bottom of most issues. Forums are more helpful than the so called write to us sections of the magazines.

I know I may be wrong but I am looking for answers on the question, what is missing in these magazines or is it only me who is thinking that they are not upto the mark?

Does the general enthusiasts feel the same as I do or am I wrong.
  2. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    What is missing in these magazines is similar to what's missing in 99% of the world's publications of any type of journalism - complete objectivity

I don't really blame them. In today's times there are only sales targets to meet and exceed, advertisements to be lured in etc .

Amidst all this, the fundamental journalist prerequisite - objectivity , takes a backseat.

Pick up any daily newspaper, weekly/bi weekly/monthly magazines, it's the same issue everywhere. Same malaise.

Gurjinder.
  3. rsinfo

rsinfo Regolare

New Delhi
    gurjinder, I agree with you.

Its very hard to be objective in a business. All the time the editor has an eye on the bottom line. Nobody wants to upset the apple cart.
  4. addendum,

They do not make an effort to give complete picture,most of the times reviewer for that magazine will be comparing the car to best in the class on on it's week points or what it is not meant to be.
    for example with Beige interior on dashboard driver may feel distraction from the shadows of trees or tall building,which is very less in black dashboard, but since few auto makers are offering beige colors these people say it's must otherwise initiators are gloomy/claustrophobic.

Other noted examples are like lighter chassis!! since Japanese/Korean makers automakers are most of times using lighter chassis,same yard stick is applied when reviewing European car like Punto and drub it as low power to weight ration less on acceleration and FE.

These guys conveniently forget about safety tests like EuroNCAP. Do you want drive a car which gives little more acceleration at the expense of safety ? higher FE due to less weight is a debatable argument, I have got excess of 24 km/l in most of highway drives in my heavy Punto.

I feel safe to drive the car in triple digit speeds due to the same weight again.

I stopped buying these auto magazines or decision making using the articles of these magazines and brought couple of crappy bikes and cars and had to sell them because they did not had many things what these magazines sounded like.

Overall they need money to sustain themselves so they may be doing paid review for xx automaker.
    -Sat
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2011
  5. kailashnj

kailashnj Amatore

Mumbai
    Hi,

You are both right that most of the times the objectivity is lost more or less.

I also felt that there is no differentiation in any of the mags, it feels more or less a copy paste and proof read by the editor with some changes in the words used depending upon their vocabulary.

So lets list the issues,

1. Objective
    2. Uniqueness / repeated

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk
  6. kailashnj

kailashnj Amatore

Mumbai
    So is it only those two points that I raised earlier or any other points that you guys can think off.

If its only those two points then probably these magazines are doing most that they ought too.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk
  7. pioneeraaron

pioneeraaron Superiore

Mulund/Mumbai
    @Kailash

Even i wonder the same as u do.Indian Auto Journo's are 110% noobs.Always have a biased review.They never compare the true facts of a car for eg : Japs Vs Koreans Vs Europeans Vs Americans etc.They straight get to the drive,mileage,plastic quality etc.I really dont understand why on earth do they comment on plastic quality as if its gonna effect the ride quality and stability.The most silliest people i find are the ones who send their query on a new car purchase :D

And always seen Bunny punia favouring the Skoda Fabia.Does he even know that the fabia was the most deffective car ever manufactured by skoda??
  8. when an autojournalist gets hold of a thing (such as plastic/interior quality/fit & finish) all the others follow like its a sheep race
  9. kailashnj

kailashnj Amatore

Mumbai
    Well said aaron, but then even the so called you know it from team-bhp does the same and people rave about his review though it makes me feel that he is paid for the review, though I digs like the ninja 650 review, but out was done but some one else. Also at times I like the way abhishek from zig wheels write his comments.

The worst review that I have ever read was for the polo where out was compared with other cars and deliberately punto was left out.

Again there is more that I think we need in mags than what is given.

My biggest grouse is the way most reviews seems to be the same

Sent from my iPhone 4
  10. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Check out Autocar's review of the Liva on Youtube.

You'll enjoy the crass biasedness of the review.

Gurjinder