1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Aurangabad - Lonar route queries

Discussion in 'Travelogues & Experiences' started by vinit, Oct 12, 2016.

1. vinit

vinit Amatore

Mumbai
    Linea 1.3
    Dear Friends,
    I am planning to do a road trip to Aurangabad and Lonar after Diwali. Need your valuable inputs on the road conditions. I wish to visit Ajanta, Ellora caves, Ghrushneshwar mandir, Daulatabad fort, Bibi ka maqabara, Paithan park and Lonar lake. I have 4 days at my disposal. (Can be stretched to 5 days). I will be very thankful to you, if you can guide about the route and itinerary to cover all these places. My priority is for good roads (4 lane with divider) rather than time. I am ready to cover more KMs rather than than saving them on potholed roads. :)
    P.S. Can I cover Shegav (Anand Sagar) also in this trip ?
    Thanks
  2. Dhruv_Sappers

Dhruv_Sappers Amatore

Pune
    Daulatabad Fort, Ellora caves and Ghrushneshwar can be covered in one day provided you arrive at the fort before 08:00 AM. The road beyond Baba Petrol Pump to the Mumbai highway is always prone to potholes.
    Bibi ka maqabara is basically a 1 hour visit and is in the city limits.Paithan road always tends to go bad but is a half day trip and advisable to be there in the evening.Ajanta is 100 KM from Aurangabad so an entire day. The road is good in most places except where the enroute cities intercept.Lonar is quite a drive.
    PM me if you need more information.
    pabhishek likes this.
  3. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    Vinit, Is the road trip done? I need some input on road conditions since I am making a trip to Aurangabad in last week of Dec. Three route options:
    1) Thane-Nashik-Niphad-Yeola-Vaijapur-Aurangabad
    2) Thane-Ghoti-Sinnar-Vaijapur-Aurangabad
    3) Thane-Somatne-Chakan-Shikrapur-Ahmednagar-Aurangabad.

I am for the route no 1 as I have heard some good reviews of the same, I am told this is a 4 laned road. Route 2 is pathetic from Sinnar to Vaijapur I am told, total broken roads. Route 3 is a circuitous and good roads but prone to heavy traffic in Chakan-Shikrapur area due to heavy vehicles. Can some one confirm if my logic is correct?

I will be leaving Thane at 5 am to reach Aurangabad by 11.30 to 12.00 pm. So that I can do the Ellora caves and nearby places in the second half. Plan is to stay in Aurangabad for 3 nights.
  4. vinit

vinit Amatore

Mumbai
    Linea 1.3
    I just finished the trip few days back. My inputs are as follows.

1) Route 1 : I took this road while coming back from Aurangabad.

Aurangabad to Vaijapur : 2 Laned, excellent in some patches and pathetic in some. Big potholes en-route. Drive carefully.

Vaijapur to Nasik : 4 laned but lot of small speed breakers and potholes. There is a diversion just before Yeola for the construction of railway bridge. This patch is horrible. But overall the road is ok.

After Nasik road is excellent.

2) Route 2 : No idea

3) Route 3 : I took this road while going to Aurangabad.

Mumbai to Somatne : Expressway

Somatne to Chakan : 2 Laned, heavy truck traffic. Overtaking is a big problem.

Chakan to Shikrapur : 2 Laned but much better than the earlier section. Less traffic

Shikrapur to Ahmednagar : 4 Laned excellent road as good as expressway

Ahmednagar to Aurangabad : 4 Laned but the road quality is not so good. Road surface is very uneven

Overall roads in Aurangabad are uneven and small potholes are everywhere.
    ghodlur likes this.
  5. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    @vinit
    Thanks for the updates, really helpful.

Can you suggest any good eating options for route 1? Plan is to have breakfast after Nashik preferably.
  6. vinit

vinit Amatore

Mumbai
    Linea 1.3
    Sorry... No idea.. :) Because of this 500 / 1000 notes problem, we took the food parcel from our hotel only by credit card :) Road side hotels are facing big challenge due to cash shortage as they are mostly not e-payment enabled.
  7. csr1969

csr1969 Amatore

KA 38, bidar, AP 10 secunderabad
    hyderabad
    Linea 1.3
    Hi @ghodlur,
    I rather suggest route-1 i.e Thane-Nashik-Niphad-Dindori-Yeola-Vaijapur-Aurangabad.
    If you plan to stop for a breakfast after Nashik, I would suggest you to take hotel srihari which you'll find enroute Nashik-Dindori road. It is an hour and half from the city of Nashik. The roads till Vani Dindori were quite good except for some potholes here and there. There are many car washing centers enroute, if you want a quick wash. If needed, then look nowhere other than Hindustan tyre plus which is atleast 8kms before hotel srihari and my experience with them was quite good and the work was worth every penny. Even got the tyres aligned balanced and rotated due to the bad roads from Bidar-Bhalki-Udgir-Parli Vaijnath. They had all the equipment required and were quick to do the job neatly. Please PM me for any advice.
    ghodlur likes this.
  8. vinit

vinit Amatore

Mumbai
    Linea 1.3
    @ghodlur : I would strongly suggest few things based on my fresh experience.

1. Shops and hotels are facing the cash crunch in a big way in the inside areas of the country. They dont even have change for 100 Rs. Many places, they are asking to buy the food or any other items for the exact denomination of notes that you have.

2. Many shops and outlets do not have card swiping machines. And those who were having, they were not working.

3. Number of ATMs are far less compared to Mumbai.

4. Considering all this, it is better to pack dry snacks / sandwiches / water / home made food items etc as much as possible before leaving.

5. Also, identify hotels / petrol pumps where you will take halt and inquire with them beforehand whether they accept debit / credit cards, because as I said earlier, even if you have cash in 100s or 50s, getting change from them is the biggest problem.

6. Keep sufficient number of coins (5 Rs, 2Rs etc) with you.

All the best..
  9. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    @vinit

Thanks for the headsup. The hotel where we are booked have confirmed of payments by credit card. Yes, I will be keeping some snacks handy including water bottles. Since I still have a month to go before the trip, I assume that the cash crunch thing would have been taken care by that time.

Still will be carrying some cash in hand. Will be reviewing the situation a week before the trip again. Thanks again.
  10. vinit

vinit Amatore

Mumbai
    Linea 1.3
    Ohh... I thought you are leaving in the next few days..

Yes, the situation will mostly be normal when you have planned your trip.