1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Aug09 GP MJD 1,35,000km completed

Discussion in 'Punto 1.3 MJD' started by Pran, Oct 25, 2010.

1. kedarbendre

kedarbendre Esperto

MH 12
    What is sound damping sheet? Where do we use it? Is it to reduce the engine noise which comes into the cabin?
  2. Hi Pran,

sorry to hijack your thread. i have the same problem of steering vibrates after 100km/per speed. i have not check the air pressure of the car as it just 4 days old car. i did 500kms drive on highway and observed that steering vibrates when im at 100kms but below there is no vibration and even the alignment is ok. when i leave the steering the car move straight. but above 100kms its vibrates. what could be the problem ??? i suspect i need to check the air pressure. as recommend 30PSI for all 4 tyers??
  3. soccerfan

soccerfan Regolare

Kochi
    get the balancing done and it should be fine
  4. Does this happen when you apply brakes ? Cause i have the same issue. Steering vibrates at 80-100, got the alignment, balancing, changing the tyres FOC - all done. Still the problem persist.
  5. Pran

Pran Superiore

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Steering vibration while braking is more to do with brakes pads, get it checked as soon as possible
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2011
  6. Pran

Pran Superiore

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Wobbling resolved

I was facing 2 issues since Monday:
    1. Rear portion of the car was moving up-down in periodic manner when I disengage the gear and let the vehicle move along on nice smooth roads. (new issue)
    2. Steering wobbling at speeds above 80km/hr.

Visited Cherry tyres yesterday (3rd time after the tyre was bought) with the hubcentric rings. The sales officer (Raghu) gets in touch with the MD, who calls up their other store in JC road "CEAT Shoppee" and asked me to take my car there to their expert mechanic. On reaching the store there was treat for me in the form of a Bentley Continental GT Speed (details later). Kiran was the expert whom the MD talked to and was instructed to "fix the issue or replace the tyres".

Kiran wanted to take out each wheel and check balancing again which I said was not necessary since it was already done twice and it should be fine which he disagreed. Did the balancing again for all the 4 wheels, all were improperly balanced ! The equipment itself looks more advanced which said on which side of the wheel the weights has to be put.

After balancing, hub centric rings were placed on the alloy after applying a bit of lubricant on either side of the ring. The hub was cleaned with sand paper and fitted properly with utmost care. Each tyre was closely examined for any bulging while the wheel was on the balancing equipment.

Kiran got into the co-passenger seat and asks me to check if the issues still exists. Slow speed issue was fixed and was so evident when the car started moving. Took the car to some flyover nearby and did 100km/hr. No wobbling, phew, finally I see some speed from my car. Took the car back to the 1st shop and thanked Raghu for the co-operation in fixing the issue, dropped Kiran at Ceat shoppee.

But I was not happy, I am not satisfied with 100km/hr, my vehicle does regular 140 during long trips, so the only place I can achieve this in Bangalore is the Electronic city elevated express highway. Took the car straight to the EC and stood on top of the accelerator. Went all the way to 160km/hr, perfect as before!!

What could have been the problem:
    1. Slow speed issue might be because of the gap between the hub and the bore of the alloy for which the rings were used.
    2. High speed wobbling might be because of the the improper balancing.

Initially I said the tyres were more on the harder, bumpy side, but after this visit the tyre was top-up with 30psi and is more comfortable. Altogether feels good now :)
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2011
    1 person likes this.
  7. Cinju

Cinju Esperto

Trivandrum
    That's good news Pran. Hoping to see you soon @ trivandrum with your new wheels. Drive safe.
  8. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Atlast!

Congrats Pran.
  9. manish

manish Novizio

Pune
    @Pran - glad to know that issues are fixed! But these are the kind of experiences which deter me from altering anything in my car, including alloys that I don't particularly like.
  10. HI soccerfan\Karan Sharma\Pra:

yesterday i just checked my tyers pressure, it was 38psi front and 35psi on rear. after delivery of the car i didn`t check the tyres pressure and just next day gone for a long drive 600kms. and found this issue . steering was vibrating at 90-100km/hr but below it was ok. now i have filled 32psi in all four and in city i can`t test this vibration issue. need to take it to NICE road this weekend. will update you all.. i m confident that its the air pressure which was making this issue. i don`t have any vibration on braking its just too smooth.