1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Aug09 GP MJD 1,35,000km completed

Discussion in 'Punto 1.3 MJD' started by Pran, Oct 25, 2010.

1. Pran

Pran Superiore

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    I feel the same.

Did balancing again yesterday, the front right wheel was not properly balanced. After this was done took the car to NICE road, steering still vibrates. the max is at 80km/hr, tried upto 120 and noticed that the vibration reduces after 100. I would now wait for the rings to arrive do another test.

The mechanics suggested that since it is steering vibration it is sufficient to check just the front tyres, Any idea if improper rear wheel balancing result in vibration?

In the meantime I got this response from hubcebtric-rings.com:

Hi,
    Your order has been submitted to 10th June. Delivery time is 5-10 business days, depending on where in the world the products are delivered. The hubrings has been delivered in letter, so we doesn't have tracking code.

Best regards,
    Customer service / Mirjaana
    Handshake Trading Oy

Are these rings so light weight and thin to be send just as a letter?
  2. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    The cause lies elsewhere. Rear wheels are a no issue and cannot lead to steering vibes.

When getting new tires, or when rotating only the fronts are balanced , and the rears left as is( for savings or non requirement)

I know the tires are new but have them checked. If balancing isn't solving the issue then the tires need to be looked at.

Gurjinder
  3. Pran

Pran Superiore

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    You almost read through my mind. I am visiting the tyre shop again today to get the rear wheels re-balanced. Let me see what they can do about it. If the issue is not getting fixed I am expecting a fight for warranty of tyres. I am now thinking whether I should wait for the rings to arrive in that case.
  4. royj

royj Esperto

Trivandrum
    Yes they are... think of four slightly thick plastic bangles...

However 20 North used to provide tracking number once the item reaches India.
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2011
  5. Cinju

Cinju Esperto

Trivandrum
    Pran ..even when I checked with one of the wheel alignment shops what they told me was punto doesn't require rear wheel alignment. Of course you can ask them to check for wheel balancing (wheel weight). That could be a possibility. One last try you can make is just check with any other wheel alignment shop .It will be an extra burden, but you can rule out all other possibilities and conclude whether the tire is the real culprit. Do keep us updated dude. I can understand how it feels within you. Keep the spirit.
  6. Pran

Pran Superiore

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Did a 2nd visit to the shop today to get the rear wheel balanced, problem still exits. For the time being the manager has promised me not to worry as he will redirect me to their main shop where the expert and experienced mechanics are available. Waiting for the rings to close that open item.

In the meanwhile the mechanic and the manager already started hinting at manufacturing defect of alloys for the problem. I might have to go all the way and prove a point which I am very well prepared. I am even thinking of getting a set of Linea rims and check if its alloys or the tyres. Alloys was given 2 yrs warranty and 5 years for tyres, so either of them having issues should be replaced.
  7. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Pran, have you tried rotating the rear wheels to the front? That'll clear up a few things , viz whether the front tires/rims have an issue or not? If the problem still persists then :-

Borrow a set of wheels, all four, from a FIATian/TFIan (make sure they are 'troublefree' , and preferably stock wheels and tires) for a quick spin and see if the problem disappears.

Gurjinder.
    P.S. The donor FIAT will have to sit on jack stands for a while though.:p
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2011
  8. Pran

Pran Superiore

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Will try rotation tomorrow.

In the meanwhile applications are invited for donors with Linea rims :)
  9. Cinju

Cinju Esperto

Trivandrum
    Pran...long way to go.. Buddy just check with the tire guys whether they got a set of replaced tires which are not so worn out. You can at least confirm whether it is the problem with the alloys.
  10. Pran

Pran Superiore

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Was busy over the weekend at my native (used cousins Swift) so I couldn't find time to debug the steering vibration issue. Reached back yesterday night to find hubcentric rings in my letter box. Will try and get this fixed in a day or 2.

I found the Swift to be very silent (only positive compared to Punto) at high speeds. Sometime back my brother was referring to his friends Punto which had sound damping sheets installed and was very silent, anyone tried this?

Rings.jpg