1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Aug09 GP MJD 1,35,000km completed

Discussion in 'Punto 1.3 MJD' started by Pran, Oct 25, 2010.

1. Pran

Pran Superiore

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    re: Aug09 GP MJD 64000km report

No idea, and I don't want to. I am afraid of steering wheels :evilsmile

I had a bad experience with steering wheels in my childhood. My dad had a 68 model Permier Padmini, with a steering wheel which had a round knob at the center for the horn. Our neighbor bought a newer Premier Padmini which had an additional ring within the steering to sound horn. I thought it can be used to steer the vehicle as well and tried turning the steering wheel of the static vehicle using the inner ring (remember no PS then). BBBAAAAA !!! the horn started and it refused to stop and the ring came out. :uh . It took 30 min for a mechanic to arrive and fix the steering to stop the horn. Lazy fellows !!

I repeat , I am afraid of steering wheels :evilsmile
  2. redtux

redtux

Trivandrum

Can you explain the steering rattling? the sound, location and the remedy? My Punto emits a humming - vibrational noise from the plastic part under steering (the part holding keyhole, tilt adjust etc) while going on rough patches (not potholes)
  3. Pran

Pran Superiore

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3

While going over rough patches, as you mentioned, a grinding noise (similar to the trimmer noise but lower volume) comes from beneath the center of the steering where we sound our horn. Just took it to KM and MM when it appeared twice, don't know what magic they did, it could be some thin sponge inserted in between the touching parts.
    From what I understood yours could be a case of some cables touching the plastics since its something outside steering and around the tilt adjust.
  4. Pran

Pran Superiore

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3

I am hearing more of engine sound and I am relating this to the engine oil I used for 30k service, Fiat recommended Selina. I was using Mobil1 0w50 till 30k km and the initial period after service the car was relatively silent but since 35000km passed I am hearing more sound from the engine. I plan to shift to Mobil1 again after a flush (required ??) for my 45000km service. Yes, I use a diesel car, but I prefer it to be silent to the max possible.
  5. soccerfan

soccerfan Regolare

Kochi

isnt 0W50 thicker than 5W40?? 0W50 it should make more sound I think
  6. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula

Pran Mobil 1 is not available in 0W-50 grade.
    It is available in 0W-40 & 5W-50 grades.
    And further Mobil 1 meet fiat specification. Fiat 9.55535
    They have not got this oil approved from Fiat on box they mention it is approved by MB 229.3 and VW 505.00. Porsche Approved.
    For fiat specification they say that it should meet that specification but this oil is not approved by Fiat.
    Fiat can void your warranty if they want to if you use this oil.

Shell Helix Ultra Diesel meets the specification of Fiat. http://www.shell.com/home/content/i...uct_range_new/helix_ultra/helix_diesel_ultra/
    If you plan to use Shell Helix Ultra Diesel make sure the box mentions Helix Ultra Diesel. Helix Ultra is also available which is available for petrol cars and doesn't meet fiat oil specification.

Selenia is a good oil and cheaper than both the above oil and is fully synthetic, I would advise you to stick to selenia. Increased noise can be due to cold weather in which engine takes more time to warm up. You might not be running AC blower now so hear more engine noise which was first surpressed by blower noise.
  7. Pran

Pran Superiore

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3

@soccerfan & vIjAy_kHaSa : sorry for confusing you guys, typo, I was referring to Mobil1 0W-40.

vIjAy_kHaSa : TASS I was visiting initially Kulathungal Mototrs used to fill in Mobil1 0W-40, so I don't thing they themselves will void the warranty. I changed to Mohandas Motors recently (looking for less crowded SC) and did my 3rd service and they used Selenia. You might be right, cooler climate and blower running at low speed might also be a reason for hearing more of engine sound. So I am not deciding anything a this point of time, let me wait for summer to set in and see of anything changes.
  8. Pran

Pran Superiore

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3

Today morning due to my carelessness I did not notice that the car in front is braking. :A I realized it at the last moment and and stood on top of the brakes and stopped, but the Qualis behind me did not. The rear fog lamp/reflector unit is out of its lock, but not coming out. Some scratches on the bumper and a minor scratch on the boot door. A lock of bumper is damaged or came out of it, so a little more gap between the bumper and body.
  9. royj

royj Esperto

Trivandrum

Aaah!! :(
  10. sindu2000

sindu2000

Kolkota

Take care of yr babe Pran ::OO