1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Aug09 GP MJD 1,35,000km completed

Discussion in 'Punto 1.3 MJD' started by Pran, Oct 25, 2010.

1. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    I think your car is holding up well, after 1.2L KM.
    36K:eek: for that useless HU.
  2. Pran

Pran Superiore

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Dont say its useless, along with the car it too covered 1.2L km without a single penny spend on it, not even a cleaning done yet ! So its again a reliable solution which came with the car, just that the speakers ruined the party.
  3. Ravi

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Useless, i meant considering price, but agree it held well, only thing I missed, in my car, was Aux-In and USB option.
    When I put this, I spend 1200 rupees, but Stanley will cost more, but will do better job.
  4. Pran

Pran Superiore

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Its been quite a long time since I updated anything in TFI. Sorry guys, my machine is still boringly reliable so nothing much to shout about :D

PuntoKuttan gets a new set of shoes, this time I decided to switch to Michelin. Turanza ER300 was selected over Michelin earlier because I had read few side-wall tearing stories reported by some users in another forum. ER300 proved me wrong, one got sidewall tear on the Mumbai-Pune expressway when the tyre was 10000km old, which was replaced with a used ER300 for 1500/-. Another tyre gave way with another side-wall tear at 42000km and by then the used tyre started showing its internal wires, so no more hanging around with these tyres although the other 2 tyres had a good 5000km thread left over to reach the legal limit marker.

Got bored seeing the 195/65R15 so this time decided to move up the width ladder to 205 and go down the profile ladder to 60 and retain the radius(16" remains a dream again), so 205/60/R15 was the decision and Michelin 3 ST was shortlisted. Visited Cherry tyres, Jayanagar, 3ST was not avaialble instead XM2 was offered, qouted price 7200!!!!. Ok, then decided to retain the tyre size and asked the price again, 6700!!!. Waaaay out of budget, new flat is still taking a toll on my budget, even for my underwear !

My brother bought a 90hp Punto Sport (last breed of the old punto) 2 months back and I had the privilege to do the majority of the run-in drives. And then after completing the 5000km mark in few weeks I drove to Trivandrum again, ripped SportyBoy apart like I do on my PuntoKuttan. Few observations:
    1. When the 75hp says "ok thats it" at 120, 90hp says so at 140.
    2. Cabin feels more insulated from the engine noise.
    3. Steering feels lighter, not too light, but light enough. Its just perfect!!
    4. Handling, yes finally, I could feel the handling been affected in the raised Punto. But nothing to be scared of, its still handles well.
    5. ACC is chilling cold, I doubt if my AC compressor has a problem !!

Now we have the 1st (PuntoKuttan is June2009 batch) and last (SportyBoy) breed of the old Punto in our family.

I was concerned about the mileage I get for quiet sometime on highways and I realised it has got more to do with my driving style rather than anything. The SportyBoy returned 14.5km/l which my PuntoKuttan used to give for few years now. Cant blame the car when the 5th gear is engaged at 100-120kmph it happens :D

So once during a week long drive with family and SportyBoy there was one occasion where I had to brake hard, and I was expecting ABS to kick-in, but then the tyre refused to lose grip and ABS function call was not trigger. That was some no-nonsense tyre, at the next stop I came out to look at which tyre it was, Apollo Acelere, it was.

Back to Cherry tyres at Jayanagar, the braking in my brothers car came to my mind suddenly, it happens when budget is a constraint :D. Enqured the price for Acelere, 5700/- it was. Then I didnt have to think twice, jumped for it and now my PuntoKuttan with its 4th generation of shoes, stands lower by few millimeters with fatter footprint with fresher looks.

KHT motors calls me today for a free checkup camp, booked for the same. Few issues to be sorted out as well :
    1. Been seeing some black smoke all around the rpm and gear ranges, sometimes below 1800 rpm, sometimes aroud 2500 rpm in different gears, doubt if any turbo hose leaks.
    2. Wifey is the main user of the car nowadays, and sometimes she misses a few speedbreakers. One such miss threw open the top glovebox, she hit it for the misbehaviour, and in the process broke the lock.
    3. Mobile charging unit stopped working suddenly, dude its a 5 year old car, needs replacement.
    4. One of the fog lamp is not working.

All the HU switches are black-n-white now, not sure what to do with it. The car wash guy is a bit careless with the fog lamp, am more careless about my PuntoKuttan nowadays, its completely dirty and there is not much throw from beams, need some cleaning there. Wife missed another speedbreaker sometime back and got a dent on the running board. Brother missed a pillar and got a dent on the rear fender. All together looks like PuntoKuttan needs a plastic surgery, just to calm down my urgency to buy a new car.

Odo read 1,34,800km as of today and PuntoKuttan has not started to spit blood, until then we live together.
    Bala, neoonwheels, prabhjot and 8 others like this.
  5. Ravi

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Good to see your Punto (PuntoKuttan) is covering so much without any major issues.
    Good timing, get those small items corrected.

On tyre, Apollo Acelere is decent tyre, enjoy for few more KMs.
    prabhjot likes this.
  6. Pran

Pran Superiore

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Thanks Ravi, I was in for a pleasant surprise to see the new layout, now you can guess how long I was not here, saw my last post and its more than 6 months :p. I was also doubtful if my login, threads, etc will be still available, good job mods, my office still stuggle with such things during migrations :D

Sharing my experince with different tyre so far, grip and comfort is my highest priority hence rating based on that.
    Best to Worst:
    Grip : B250 > Acelere > ER300 > CPC2 > ES100
    Comfort : Acelere > B250 > ER300 > CPC2 > ES100
  7. Cinju

Cinju Esperto

Trivandrum
    Good to see your update after long. On the black smoke did they find out the reason ? More likely to be a leaky turbo hose . Regarding the sound insulation , I guess post 2012 it is pretty quiet compared to our models. Even the cranking sound is bit different ie more refined. Keep us posted on the repair .
  8. GP_Freak

GP_Freak Amatore

Chennai/Madurai
    Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    @Pran, that was one exiting log to read. Read through all the 28 pages now. Good going boss. All the best with your punto.
  9. Pran

Pran Superiore

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Time for another update.

The checkup camp at KHT was extended to the 1,35,000 service. KHT as usual did a good job with the service, updating the work progress, getting approval for replacements and washing.
    1. The black smoke was due to a cracked turbo hose.
    2. Glovebox lock fixed.
    3. Fuse was replaced, but now looks like there is some loose contact with the MMI charger.
    4. Replaced fog lamp bulb
    EGR cleaning was also done during the visit. The total bill came to 10.5k

Off late PuntoKuttan was not going for the long drives because of the presence of SportyBoy and the black smoke reducing the confidence level. Once the service was done PuntoKuttan was back to its full glory and off goes for another drive to Trivandrum. Acelere is doing excelent in terms of grip and comfort. Only concern was during the highway drives while negotiating curves at 120-140 the front left tyre was touching somewhere. Also noticed that with 4 people on board the rear wheels were touching the plastics in the wheel well because of which there were some worn out plastics.

One such trip to Trivandrum, somewhere near Nagarcoil some vehicle changed direction without warning 2 vehicles ahead of me. I had to brake hard and the bike behind me hit my car. Jumped out of the car to shout at him and I saw a handicapped guy lying on the road. He was riding his friends Splendor and he cant get up. I was shocked and couldn't respond to the situation, and his friends came just behind him in his Activa with support side wheels. Anger, sympathy, sadness, all such emotions were running in my mind and during the process his friends helped him to get onto his Activa and handed over the walking stick as well to him. All I could do was check with him if he was ok and he said he is fine. Damage, a broken rear fog lamp.

Fast forward to Nov, PuntoKuttan has mood-swings (please don't misunderstand me:p). Sometimes 2-3 engine cranking is required to start up the vehicle, and its dangerously random. Few times in the morning when it was cold start, few times in the traffic signal, few times after reaching home and again testing for starting problems. Took my Punto to a local electrical shop next door and he opened the battery and showed me the dry cells. He said it could be because of overcharging and did a topup with distilled water. Called up the shop from where I bought the battery and they said warranty is over but to bring the vehicle for them to check. 10kms later reached the shop, they checked the battery with load and gravity tests and came to the conclusion that the battery is fine. 2 days went fine, later mood-swings step in again. Wifey being the main user I didnt want her to be stranded on the road, decided to drop my vehicle at KHT.

Rewind to Sep, BWSSB, BSNL, Reliance suddenly got a feeling that the area I live in is going to be a happening place, so they all decided to start the infrastructure development and dug up the already available infrastructure, the roads. Every weekend when I take my car I manage atleast one engine guard hit, gone are the days when a engine guard hit hits my heart, but its not the case with my wifey. She kept on confessing that PuntoKuttan got a hit even today, everyday. Time for GC kit installation.

With starting problem being the major concern for me and GC being the major concern for my wife PuntoKuttan goes to KHT. With our new office building KHT is just behind my office, cant ask for more :D. Left the vehicle for observation for cold start, and warm start and what ever scenarios possible and the vehicle was returned with no issues identified. The work on PuntoKuttan:

1. GC installed, voila I have an SUV now !! Now my argument that EcoSport is nothing but a hatch with bigger wheels is so true.
    2. Glow plug replaced, now all four is replaced at different point of time.
    3. Replaced the broken rear fog lamp

Damage : 16.5k

PuntoKuttan comes back with his head held high, over the BWSSB, BSNL, Reliance infrastructures not kissing even the biggest uncovered rock. But then, there was a concern for which PuntoKuttan was admitted at KHT, the starting problem. People with mood-swings has this problem, sometimes they act so normal for days together, so did my PuntoKuttan, like a vey nice boy , he played around with the doctors.

FF another week, moodswing steps in, and a lady from KHT calls on the same day asking for feedback, 1st statement from me was I am not happy. Sometimes I go behind my intuitions, and it works well for me, most of the times. I took my PuntoKuttan to the battery shop, replaced with a new 60DIN Exide for 5800/- with buyback for the old one. 2 weeks later no sign of mood-swings, looks like the issue was the battery which was playing mischeif with everyone, right from the electrical shop, the battery shop and KHT. But finally I am happy the problem is resolved.

Having said that, PuntoKuttan is yet to leave me or my wife stranded on roadside, so we live together till the day when PuntoKuttan says buddy thats it I cant take this anymore.

Odo reads 1,40,000.:cool:
    Cinju, sdp1975, varunrtr and 6 others like this.
  10. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    @Pran

Cheers to you, and your cheerful narrative style, a credit to (among other things and people, am sure) the adorably named PuntoKuttan! :)

regards