1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Aug09 GP MJD 1,35,000km completed

Discussion in 'Punto 1.3 MJD' started by Pran, Oct 25, 2010.

1. Pran

Pran Superiore

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Some guy scratched all 4 doors of my Punto, including an X drawing on the front right door. May his soul rest in peace asap!

Paint has started showing signs of fading, blame it on the hardwater of Bglore and also swirl marks and wash-marks all around. I was planning to get the Paint sealant done from 3M, but then I realized there are around 10 spot dents all around the car, including some neighboring car doors hitting into mine while opening.

I think its high time I give some attention to the paint of my Punto. Planning to fix all the dents and repaint wherever necessary at Sai colorium. Now I am confused on whether the paint sealant treatment is required after a touchup and polish? Will difference be significant.

Please note, so far polishing was done only once on my car (2yrs back), even the Teflon coating which came free during delivery of my car was not done, somehow I felt I am not going to cook food on my car :p
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2013
  2. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Simple way to combat hard water. Do not wash your car. No, I am serious. I do not use any fancy detailing stuff. For me, the inside of the car is a lot more important than the exterior. After all, when I am in the car, that is where I spend most of my time :D

I am not suggesting not to care for the exterior. A shiny, glossy, scratch free, swirl mark free car is an open invitation to those morons who like to express their frustration by doodling on such cars. Here is what I do for my exteriors:

I only use Sonax car shampoo. I dilute it with drinking water in the recommended proportion and fill a spray bottle. I then spray that on the car and wipe dry with a water magnet. Once a month, I use spray on wax (formula one) and wipe with a microfibre cloth. That's it. So far, it still looks acceptable, at least to me.

WP_000431.jpg

Rajan

PS: That is a Sept 2010 T-Jet. I bought it in Aug 2012. It was in the dealer's stock yard for 2 years :D
    5 people like this.
  3. Pran

Pran Superiore

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @Rajan : I would love to follow what you have mentioned, but then I cant bear even 1 spot of dust on my Punto when I take my car in the morning, everyday. And I wish I had the time for this on weekend, which usually are hectic-er than weekdays :)

I should say, that is one neatly maintained car. I dont know how, but every-time I look at the shoulder line of my Punto I feel the car was hit around by people standing next to it :mad:, so much of unevenness around the shoulder area, have to do some leveling and painting to restore the newness.:up
  4. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    why dont you post some pics of its current condition?
  5. Pran

Pran Superiore

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @theblack :Will surely post the pics before I get this done by end of this month. Right now a bit too busy with my new flat finishing work.
  6. Pran

Pran Superiore

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    I am not using my Punto so frequently as it used to be. We shifted to our new home which is just 8k from my office, so now I cycle daily and car is used by wifey.

My punto was due for the regular service and we visited KHT.

a. 1,05,000km service done
    b. Second 2 year fuild replacements done
    c. Replaced front left mount and both lower arms. My punto was making all sorts of sound from the front left suspension setup. One was while the steering was turned which was the mount for sure. Then some clattering sound over rough roads. This was diagonised to be the lower arm. Both (F LR)lower arms had problems, I could see the bush at the ball join torn out completely.
    d. Replaced hazard lamp/ defogger switch panel + ac vents + the face plate for these. I am told it comes as a set. Hazard light/Defogger switch panel came off the lock and went inside.
    e. Rear park light bulb replaced.

Total damage : 15,500/-

My Punto is back to mint condition from heart and interior. Exterior needs some attention now, paint has faded, loooooots of swirls marks and hairline scratches. Few spot dents from the bikers and careless people opening their door beside mine.

Every time I get my car out of service center my confusion of getting my Punto replaced is non existent for a simple reason, engine still gives that sweet sound which I heard while taking it off the dealership 4 year ago.
    2 people like this.
  7. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Good to see your car doing so good, even after crossing 1L km.
    Now I know I see so many cycles entering to EGL :).

Are you still in EGL?
  8. Pran

Pran Superiore

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Thats not me . Our office shifted to Whitefield, almost a year now :)
  9. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    my office is also in whitefield! we can have a mini TFI meet over lunch someday with all those in whitefield and willing to join :)
  10. Pran

Pran Superiore

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Always in !!! I know a TFI member in my office BlueJay..yet to meet him though :p