1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Aug09 GP MJD 1,35,000km completed

Discussion in 'Punto 1.3 MJD' started by Pran, Oct 25, 2010.

1. dhans4all

dhans4all Amatore

Chennai
    Congrats :) welcome to the club.....
  2. Cinju

Cinju Esperto

Trivandrum
    Very true Pran. We need to identify what's the cheap & best option for our MJDs.
  3. Pran

Pran Superiore

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    If you missed here is a link to the road trip covering 5900km : http://www.teamfiat.co.in/street-tr...ur-kanpur-nagpur-tadoba-hyderabad-5900km.html

On the way, somewhere in Gujarat, a group of buffalo was crossing the NH. Truck on the left lane stop, my friend who was driving slows down from 130 to 20km/hr, make some adjustments to his seating position and then suddenly a buffalo lands on the bonnet. My brother on the passenger seat pulled the hand brake and the car stopped. An old man comes calm an quiet, buffalo walks away unharmed along with the group. Truck driver changes lane and cover half of the right lane. All 3 of us get out to see the damage, bonnet caved in a bit, everything else intact. Truck driver talks to the old man, suddenly my bro smells something fishy and asks us to get in the car. I take the driver seat, another young man appears and the truck driver talks to him. I start the car. Few people gather. The young man get angry. He stops me. I said I will stop on the road side. Bro asks me to move fast. I steer the car to the left slowly as if to park, suddenly accelerate. Young man hits to bonnet with a huge stick. We are past him by few feets for his next hit. He throws the stick at the car. I saw this through the mirror, steers my car to the right and escapes the stick hitting my car. Races well past 140 and now felt relaxed to escape the scene. Reaches a tool gate and I noticed a Tata mobile truck behind us. I pay the cash, gate opens. Man jumps out of the truck and shout at the toll gate keeper. I accelerate hard, burning some rubber. The toll gate closes just behind me, missing the rear windscreen by inches. We decided to leave the NH and take some bye roads and avoid any further adventures. Until we reached Rajasthan border we took the inner roads. This was one bad incident which I would like to forget. Looks like after the seating position adjustment his leg landed on the acc pedal instead of brake.

Got the bonnet replaced and painted at KHT. I was not happy with the work after the 1st visit, was later sorted out in the 2nd visit. Still some traces of paint on the black plastic on bonnet, need to clear that in the next visit.

Nervous Ninties !! 91800kms it is on the odo and time for some major work :
    1. CPC2 fortunately did not last for a lifetime as I worried, very much over hyped tyre in teambhp, and as mentioned many times, bad grip and harsh ride forces me to say it is a bad tyre. Planning to stick with Bridgestone B250 or Turanza this time. Might even upgrade to 205 55R15, yea mileage, not bothering me much now, accept it, the car is old.
    2. Jayakrishna suggested to replace my clutch for smoother gear shifts, yes its is a bit rough/tight now on the lever, but not on the pedal.
    3. Timing chain yet to be changed, SA advised it to be delayed till 90k, now its gone past it.
    4. The 90k service is yet to be done, did almost a full service at 80k at a local workshop at KL01.

Eeekkk...just realized I cant spell buffallo properly :p
    1 person likes this.
  4. Cinju

Cinju Esperto

Trivandrum
    What could have been their intention ? Why did they try to chase you if it was a small hit ? God you were in real big trouble & your brother's presence of mind saved you all from some unwanted issues.
  5. Pran

Pran Superiore

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    1 person likes this.
  6. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Glad that you got away without any physical harm. Moral of the story - Never, ever, adjust seat while driving. :D

Rajan
    1 person likes this.
  7. Thank God you guys escaped unharmed..Btw how big was the damage on the bonet?Any pics?

Your car is running on the stock timing chain??
  8. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
  9. Pran

Pran Superiore

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    My heart broke on seeing the damage, so didnt want to document it :) 1/4 of the bonet caved in, but not enough to touch any of the parts underneath it.

Yes my Punto is still on stock timing chain.

- - - Merged Post - - -

Its exciting when you look back, scary on the scene :)
  10. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Pran,
    One mistake from your end :-
    1. Seat adjustment at that speed

One mistake from their end :-
    1. Bringing Buffalows on highway.

So, no one sould be blamed.
    Finally all is well .

May be he wanted to create a scene and get some money from you.

Gone in 60 seconds :D
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2013