1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Aug09 GP MJD 1,35,000km completed

Discussion in 'Punto 1.3 MJD' started by Pran, Oct 25, 2010.

1. Pran

Pran Superiore

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Thanks to Cinju, my Punto gets a health checkup done and the doctor prescribed few medicines keeping in mind the hectic season ahead.

After seeing a couple of threads with the EGR and intake manifold clogged I decided to get it cleaned up at Puttoos Garage at Enjakkal, Trivandrum. Sadly I am yet to get a good and trustworthy mechanic outside TASS in Bangalore.

Also somehow got a feeling that my cars blood is getting dirty and decided to change the engine oil and oil filter. Brake started to make some noise when the car is moving slowly and just about to come to a halt, guess was simple, brake pads it is.

Brake discs kept shouting out that he is about to run an irrigation project with the small 2mm depression I managed to dig out by running on exhausted brake pads, or rather metal brakes :p

Started with the engine oil change, I purchased oil filter assuming that the garage might not have one, bad assumption, this was an ex-MyTVS All car service centre. Used Mobil MGDO (Maruti Genuine Diesel Oil), 3.5ltr cost 1030/-, hmm not sure how good it is, but thought its another 8.5k before next service so should be fine, yes you calculated right, odo shows 81500km now.

Then the worked moved to intercooler, removing the front lower grill was sufficient to take this out. Expecting lots of soot in it we took it out, surprise, it was clean, to the extent that I could see through from one end to the other and the stainless steel color was visible too.

Now I am confused, calls up Cinju to have a look the threads to find out where exactly is the carbon deposits, and he messages its between the intercooler and intake manifold and between EGR and intake. The mechanic gives me a logic reasoning, from the intercooler the air goes to the manifold and EGR, so if intercooler is clean we can expect the intake manifold and EGR to be clean since they receive the very same air from the intercooler. I am not a mechanical engineer nor an automotive expert, so thought its better to believe the expert advice who was ready to go ahead opening up the manifold and EGR if I am not convinced, but I was. So full stop, no carbon deposits in my car so far.

Brake pad is metal now, so removed it and the mechanic says the disc are worn out too but can use it for some more kms. I have a Lucknow trip in mind soon (if everything goes fine) for which he suggested to get it replaced. Approved.
    Disc - 4200/-
    Pads - 1900/-

Air filter was found to be blocked, replaced it too - 690/-

Car pulls towards left, had a look and found that there is a slight bend in the lower arm because of which the left tyre is a bit (1 or 2mm) behind the right tyre, requires either a lower arm replacement or repair of lower arm which will take a lot of time and was told to live with it till the lower arm shows sign of wear and tear.

Work started at 10am and it went on till 3am with a 1hr lunch break, labor cost - 950/- .

Feels (and just feels) more confident now with the new brakes set and new blood running through and more important, my cars heart is clean with no carbon deposits!

Got few pics this time, will upload soon.
  2. teky

teky Esperto

Chennai
    Re: Aug09 GP MJD 80,000km report

Pran mate - the price of rotors seems to damn expensive than TASS.

Rotor price at TASS is 2600 and pads cost 2300. Labour is 750.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2012
  3. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    That'll be 15W40 mineral oil, i reckon?. Seems expensive for that amount. For the Palio D, i purchase the 5L bucket of Petronas Urania S CI4 and it costs something like 1100.
  4. Pran

Pran Superiore

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Is the rotor price for a set? The pads cost was cheaper, I am not sure if they used genuine Fiat spares, no OEM packs, it was just some plain plastic covers.

I was charged the MRP on the can. Btw I noticed something, is it Mobil1 or Mobil, I always thought it was Mobil1

Edit: just googled and found that it was in fact Mobil Super
  5. teky

teky Esperto

Chennai
    Rotor is for a set - Enquired it today in the evening.
  6. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    To be exact, at TASS old style pads cost 2689 and labour is 366 in bangalore for pads currently.

i had got rotors changed more than a year and half back and as far as i remember they costed around 2500
  7. Pran

Pran Superiore

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Reminds me of my Siena days when I was asked if I need the cheapest one, cheap one or the expensive one :confused:. I am assuming he might not have used any of the cheap variants.:mischievous

:oops: Cinju saar, be careful, I was fooled with the pricing for spares, but mixed, pads cost was cheaper. Looks like some investigation needed to find the pricing around ones city for Fiat spares.
  8. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    whats cooking in lucknow, Pran :):)
  9. Pran

Pran Superiore

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Nothing much, my colleague getting married, and was waiting long to attend a North Indian wedding, and got another crazy driver to accompany me :)

Shams, but why did you have to change the rotors? Running without pads for long :p ?
  10. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    yes exactly.. i did that before my 15 k service :) after that rotors are fine till now. 54k now with 4th set of pads :)

- - - Merged Post - - -

I am also getting married in lucknow on 29th jan. hope u r coming on the same day :):)
    4 people like this.