1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Aug09 GP MJD 1,35,000km completed

Discussion in 'Punto 1.3 MJD' started by Pran, Oct 25, 2010.

1. Cinju

Cinju Esperto

Trivandrum
    Pran even I was planning to get Bosch, but it seems to be too costlier than other brands. I was quoted somewhere around 8k by a Bosch dealer. Anyway now I am running on Amaron & it costs below 5k with I believe 2 yr warranty. Opt for a 3yr warranty one.
  2. soccerfan

soccerfan Regolare

Kochi
    I got Bosch DIN 44 (S5 model) for 5k in Kochi. Do you remember which model was quoted for 6600?

And did your issues other than low mileage get fixed?
  3. Pran

Pran Superiore

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Fixed EBD failure error and ABS error lamp

Ok guys, finally settled for Exide Max DIN60 for 5000/- with 18month replacement warranty. The calculation for me was quite simple, I cant see me in this car for more than another 3 years and I would not want to buy a more expensive Bosch which can last for more than 5 years.

And yes all the errors have vanished and the car starts faster, instead of a craaaank...craaaank...craaaank....its now crnk.crnk.crnk :D

The prices quoted were as below:
    Exide
    DIN 50 18month replacement warranty = 4300/-
    DIN 60 18month replacement warranty = 5000/-
    DIN 50 30month replacement warranty = 7000/-
    DIN 60 30month replacement warranty = 7500/-
    Amaron 66A 2yr replacement warranty, pro-rata discount for replacement for next 3yrs = 6000/-
    Bosch 60A = 6600/-
  4. Pran

Pran Superiore

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    My car is back in SC for resolving the mileage issues because of the front wheels refusing to rotate freely.
    History :
    1. KHT motors diagnosed the problem to be with the caliper. They tried changing the caliper pin, but with no use. Due to lack of time took the car back since I was told the extended warranty (yea I have one) claim will take another 1-2 days.
    2. Called up Concorde motors, no parts available to replace the caliper
    3. Took my car to Bosch service centre, Rajaji Nagar. Did a diagnostics since I suspected the EGR to be clogged. The results came out fine, including the air intake mass which should be affected if the EGR was clogged (as I was told). Since my car was covered under extended warranty they recommended to take my car to a TASS.

Last week I booked for a pickup on 04Jun2012 at KHT motors, and I received a call on 02Jun2012 asking for my address. I decided to take it to the SC myself since I was relatively free at office. I requested to do proper diagnosis of the actual root cause, the difficulty in tyre rotation due to a bad caliper could be just one of the issue, there could be something else as well. My requirement was "get my car mileage back to 14-15km/l in city as was the case few months back".

I requested to copy me the mail send to the insurance agency for which I was told it is not a mail, it happens through their internal system, so no way I can know if this actually happens today. I am told even if the mail is send today morning the reply will come by evening or tomorrow morning, inefficient insurance service !. I will be getting my vehicle back my tomorrow evening, fingers crossed !

---------- Post added at 11:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:13 AM ----------

Quick update: called up the SA to find out what is happening with my car. They are checking the bearing, brake lining, brake discs, link rods, mounts, mmm..prettty long list. by 6pm today he said they will find the actual culprit before going ahead with the warranty and stuffs.
  5. Pran

Pran Superiore

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Workaround failed, and more issues

A delayed update...
    I recieved my car on 6th. Nothing was replaced since everything was found to be in good condition. Some lubrucation and cleaning of the brake and bearing realted stuffs was done. Took the test drive myself since the SC driver was not immmediately avaialble. Drove around teh city on my regular route for 45km and the mileage returned was 14.1 km/l, exactly what I wanted ! This was done free of cost by KHT motors !

I was planning a trip to Kerala on 7th so took the car to CarSpa on 6th evening for a full body wash and interior cleaning. Immdiately after the wash I noticed that the mileage was dropping from the 14+ range. 7th morning I reset the trip meter and started driving in the normal peak hour traffic and by the time I have done 20km the mileage retuned was around 10.2km/l. It looks like the wash at CarSpa has cleaned up the lubricants the SC had applied.

Now this doesnt look good, there is some other bigger problem which is affecting my mileage and librication is not the fix, it was just a work around which failed.

I am back after a 1500km drive and the mileage for the entire trip came out to be 14.2km/l, not acceptable for a long drive even more I did not cross 130km.hr at any point of time.I used to get 16+ when I used to drive in the range of 130-150km/h.

Another issue has come up now, AC stopped working, it simply doesnt switch ON. More issues, more work. :(
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2012
  6. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Looks previous issues were not fixed properly and new issues are cropping up, time to visit service center again.
  7. NitinGirish

NitinGirish Amatore

Bengaluru
    This happened in our car too. Apparently something called as an AC relay had gone kaput and it was replaced. No issues since then (~3-4months).
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2012
  8. Pran

Pran Superiore

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    KHT avoided my car, back at Concorde

"The expertise of a mechanic is proved when he resolves a not-so-common issue. A regular service is a DIY job if one has the time and parts"

KHT motors simply surrendered by not taking my car for repair even after repeated reminders from me via email and the request from the KHT director not being addressed by the service manager. Is this because of the lack of expertise, this can be a open question, but for me its a big YES.

So going back to Concorde motors, Dairy Circle was my only option since non-availability of parts was my only issue with them. Yesterday I reached CM and as always Mahsud Khan was snatching the job card from someone who was preparing the same for my car, its his car, no messing with him. :).

After examining my car in detail and trying basic stuffs like changing fuses, I was told the AC issue needs more investigation. Mileage issue anyway needs more diagnosis. Left the car at SC saying "please return the car before Friday", giving him enough time to diagnose and fix both the issues.

Just now got a call saying the AC compressor needs replacement. This was changed on the 7th month last year and the warranty on the part expires after 6months, so planning to get this covered under extended warranty, I hope its covered, the policy is in my car at SC, so no access to it to confirm at this moment.

Odo reads 73,500km now..
    More updates soon..
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2012
  9. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    Pran, you did absolutely right thing by going back to Concorde dairy circle!

I am saying this even though I have been to KHT umpteen no of times and have a very good rapport with everyone there, I have had to push for each and every work that I have got done there. They lack in expertise in a lot of things and they do not have a professional attitude! Khan in Concorde is far more knowledgable about Fiats than any other SA across SC's. Also i have felt Concorde SC has the most professional attitude compared to KHT and Prerana!

Thats the reason why I got my 45k Service done at Concorde under Khan last month. Till then its been KHT always (since its near to my office). This time I thought enough is enough.. and went with Concorde.

In KHTs case I have also experienced noticeable downfall in service quality after their CRM/DGM Javid left this Jan. Things have not been same since then! Hope Adit reads all this
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2012
  10. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3