1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Aug09 GP MJD 1,35,000km completed

Discussion in 'Punto 1.3 MJD' started by Pran, Oct 25, 2010.

1. Pran

Pran Superiore

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @manish : As long as you play in the safe limits it should be fine. And of course you should have the time and patience. :) I grew up seeing my Dad fix every other sound/rattling on our 1968 model Premier Padmini which used to happen atleast twice a month. So this is something I could accept.
    The mods I have doen so far are:
    1. Speakers upgraded : Searched for speakers fitting into the stock slots and which can use the same electrical wiring. No risk
    2. Alloys : 98PCD, 6.5J 15", same as stock size. One compromise I had to make here was on the offset which is 38 but for the alloys it was 35. Another one was the bore size which was 73.1 for the alloy while the actual was 58.1 for which I used the hub centric rings. Calculated risk.
    3. Tyres : 196 65R15. This is more of a risk which I took since I badly wanted better ground clearance. The side effect, if any, will be posted so that fellow TFIs dont face similar issues. Open risk :)

If all the math is right the car would be fine, after all its an engineered product. ;)
  2. soccerfan

soccerfan Regolare

Kochi
    Good to see that the issues are fixed pran. Any rattles in your car? I fix one and another one crops up in my car :(
  3. Pran

Pran Superiore

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Usually I get 1 or 2 rattles when the SC visit is due and will get it fixed during service. After all our cars are not kept in showcase, and we abuse it a lot. I assume it is more to do with the roads in Kerala.
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2011
  4. jayakrishnakola

jayakrishnakola Regolare

Bangalore
    hmm after reading ur experience even i've descided to go for the 65 profile tyres with no doubts in mind.

thanks
  5. Pran

Pran Superiore

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    A/C issue

From yesterday my AC was making some grinding noise, without affecting the cooling. Took the car to Concorde and Renjith came and had a look, called a mechanic who had a look, and said "it will take 2-3 days saar"..:eek:. I asked what is the problem for which they said don't know. 2-3 days for resolving and unknown problem :confused: . I suggested to take the car inside and have a look for 1 hr and find out the problem, the mechanics just walks off the scene, SA looks at me helpless.

Took the car and went straight to KHT motors, a mechanics comes out, takes the car and jumps into the bonnet with all his enthusiasm. SA joins the hunt, another mechanic joins, another one. Nothing for 30-45 mins. Lifts the vehicle, 3 people looks from beneath, finally isolated the issue, it may be the compressor since after removing some belts the noise is still present.

They dont have a replacement to actually check if it is the reason. Asks me if I can bring the car another day and confirm it, I am ready. The part is not in stock which will take another 15 days after the confirmation of the issue. In the meantime I am off to TVM with my car and the SA assured that I will not be stranded in the road because of this, max the AC will stop working :(

I might have to try Prerana now after I am back, I might even visit the SC at TVM if time permits.
  6. jayakrishnakola

jayakrishnakola Regolare

Bangalore

hmmmmm!!!!! two service centeres couldnt find out. strange.

and Pran, tell how was the ride to TVM, i mean after 140kmph
  7. Pran

Pran Superiore

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    My priority while choosing new set of tyres were:
    1. Good grip (wet and dry)
    2. Comfort
    3. Noise

Now it turned out that my 1st priority is not at all addressed, Thank God I have ABS. On my way back yesterday at 120km/hr, while overtaking a truck it shifted lane from left to right and I stood on top of the brake and ABS saved us from a bad accident. Yet to get a feel of wet grip.

jayakrishna: Touched 160 in my last drive, I felt more confident because of the better GC, everything else is normal, except for the AC. Need to find some time to get this fixed.

compare.jpg
  8. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Pran, until and unless the braking is done under exactly similar conditions, we can't really compare the braking efficiency of a particular tire.
    1 person likes this.
  9. Pran

Pran Superiore

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Gurji I still feel CPC2 is not good in dry braking. I used the B250 in Bangalore roads for almost 4000km and now another 3000km in CPC2 on the same Bangalore roads, so its not better from my small experience. Long term updates will follow :)

In the mean time I made another visit to Concorde to investigate the AC sound and informed them what KHT felt the issue is, AC compressor. The supplier for the same is a company called SEDAN from Chennai no info about it so far. So the process is:
    1. Someone will come from Sedan to investigate the compressor
    2. If it needs replacement the part will be send to Chennai
    3. The replacement/repaired compressor will be send back
    So for this to happen I was advised to leave the car. I was not prepared at that time and took the car and said will return when time permits.

I decided to mail Fiat, Mangesh and the partshelpindia and find out what can be done to speed up the process. Got a mail from Concorde yesterday to drop my car today at the SC. Dropped the car today and waiting for a call from the SA with the actual cause and further process to be followed. In the meantime Concorde have agreed to return the vehicle today itself. If the part needs replacement and need to be procured I need not leave my vehicle at SC. :)

Got a call from Tata motors Pune back office while writing this and said they will keep updating me the status of the vehicle. Kudos to Fiat!! I am sure no other manufactures support their customers so nicely. No wonder JD power rated Fiat 2nd in customer satisfaction, we indeed are !!!
  10. Pran

Pran Superiore

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    AC issue resolved

Although I was promised the car will be returned the same day it didn't.
    By 7th evening the SA calls me and said that it was confirmed that the problem is with the AC compressor. A mail was sent to the supplier and was waiting for their approval.

Reply from the supplier came by 8th noon and the warranty claim was rejected from their side. The supplier gives just 18 months warranty even though Fiat gives 24months warranty. So at the expense of Fiat the compressor assembly was replaced and the job was done by late evening. SA calls up and said the work is not complete since he has not properly test driven the car and also some stuffs like parking bulb issue and the quarter glass plastic replacement was to be done.

9th morning at 10 am the SA calls up and said the car is ready. Reached there and checked for the noise, its gone!. The small plastic piece at the front portion of quarter glass was replaced!! I never thought I will be able to get the spare for such an insignificant part. The parking bulb was replaced. The car was properly washed, vacuumed and the plastics polished.

The bill amount came to 25/-
    14/- for the quarter glass plastic
    11/- for some bush

The price of the part replaced under warranty was 16000/-.

In spite of the supplier warranty getting expired Fiat took the burden of replacing the part under its own warranty. Good work Fiat !!
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2011
    1 person likes this.