1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Art of Changing Gears

Discussion in 'Technical' started by Sat-Chit-ananda, Jul 15, 2013.

1. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Grande Punto 1.4
    To see the images in the original source use Ctrl+ Shift + F5 in IE. Or Ctrl + Refresh in Mozilla.
  2. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    Grande Punto 1.3
    +1 :up
    Lets wear and tear the brake pads rather reducing the drivetrain performance.
    1 person likes this.
  3. ENKI

ENKI Esperto

No, that's not a good practice if it is falling out of powerband. Judge the speed and accordingly slot the gear to stay in 2200-3000 RPM. If you are referring engine braking here, it happens in 5th as well. Catch hundered in 5th gear and leave accelerator, you will easily feel it when engines start pulling the car down. BEST DRIVING PRACTICE IS TO STAY IN POWER BAND WHICH IS 2200-3000 RPM FOR MJD'S, be it upshifting/downshifting. You can check the speeds between 2200-3000 RPM for every gear, note it down and tune your driving style hover around the limit. In a day or two, it will all be spontaneous. That is perfection achieved when it comes to changing gears (according to me).

My earlier post was just to support the fact that If your basic driving concepts are right, you can drive it aggressively as much as you want without hurting your pocket (surely some FE hit!). To compensate for maintenance, Do things like early oil changes, changing filters (or at least clean them at least 10000 KMs), don't mind changing timing belt at 60000 km, EGR/exhaust cleanup and much more. When you are demanding more, just do those maintenance things a bit earlier than regular.

Don't worry, I am here to report if there will ever be any technical complication if you are demanding max. from MJD.
    1 person likes this.
  4. magnan

magnan Amatore

Jaipur, Rajasthan
    My Punto is 62000+ kms now and is yet to see how it feels at 4000 rpm. Here in Rajasthan, even at 4 and 6 lane roads speed beyond 120 can be lethal. Villagers graze their cattle at the deviding lane, themselves drive 2 wheelers in mid of the road and look back when an approaching car honks.
  5. AsylumKing

AsylumKing Timido

I have a doubt with regards to changing gears and figured the best people to ask would be owners of Fiats.

Usually on clear highway stretches I usually take the car upto 160 to 170 kms/hr. problem arises when curves on the road pop up - naturally or sometimes due to Road repair etc. Body roll scares the life out of me so I usually try getting onto 4th gear and maintaining a speed of about 100 kms/hr (I'm referring to those lazy curves not the sharp bends). I've found my Linea stays much more stable at this speed.

Question is, do you guys down shift to 4th gear and what's the maximum speed my Linea can carry out of such a curve without rolling over? Please advise.

Also, the other day on the Chennai - Bangalore stretch there was this Verna whom I was overtaking. He was holding approx. 120 kms/hr on the curve and I had a slight feeling of body roll. Now I know my Linea is def. more stable and Hyundais are not known for good handling so if I had this feeling, how was that dude pulling it off?

Mods Note: Back to back posts merged.
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 6, 2014
  6. kunwar.g

kunwar.g Superiore

Grande Punto 1.3
    Didn't realise the correct power band is 2200-3000. I have been keeping it at 1700-2000. The top speed I achieved so far is 135 for close to 20 secs. 36 days old, 1600 km run MJD Punto. I find it running smoothest within 1700-200 though...am I doing more harm than good to the heart of my punto
  7. Parantap Chatterjee

Parantap Chatterjee Regolare

Linea T-Jet
    How do you know that dude was not "body-rolling" also ? :D

Probably there isn't a way to generalize or set speed limits for curves. Expert drivers will be able to take sharp bends at high speeds comfortably while novices (like me :p) will turn turtle on gentle curves at low speeds !

Only advice I can give is to be at the proper gear before entering the curve and maintain that gear (it should be a gear which gives you adequate breathing room when exiting the curve). So you should not be in 5th gear at 50 kmph when exiting , neither should you be in 3rd gear at 120 (maybe better to use rpm's as the benchmark rather than kmph).

Braking/shifting in the curve is a strict no-no as it seriously upsets the dynamics of the car. So if you find that you are having to brake or shift gears frequently while taking curves , you're probably doing something wrong.

In any case , when taking curves with the Linea , it's more often that my confidence gives way before the car does :)
  8. AsylumKing

AsylumKing Timido

Haha, very true. Found myself braking in curves sometimes after having carried too much speed into them. I don't use the gears to help in braking though. Have this fear of damaging them. I know this might sound funny but losing traction while turning doesn't scare me as much as flipping the car. Moreover I don't have that fear while turning right, it's only when turning left and the weight is on the drivers side that I freak out.
    I wonder if that's why someone known to me used dead weights on the passenger side on his stripped down Maruti Esteem whenever he hit the race track.
  9. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Linea 1.3
    A good rule in my mind is if you need to down-shift too often, particularly on hilly or curved roads etc. one is a bad driver since you are accelerating unnecessarily or in wrong gears when you are bound to brake often. Now assuming there is a good stretch that calls for accelerating the car above 100 kmph, be it any car, the best thing is to try maintain an optimum speed till the first time you need to downshift at a curve. Besides we over-stress the already stressed engine after a particular speed of overdrive gear and FE goes for a toss too, by acceleration and overtaking and braking. Even driving at 100kmph only where necessary and safe is equivalent to sedate or responsible driving.

The driver must not have a feeling of body roll and adjust speed accordingly, according to the road and traffic conditions.

OT: Ever see those over-taking and over-speeding cars ahead of you parked at popular restaurant on long highways waiting for their dishes by the time you walk into the restaurant. Makes one wonder what the urgency was all about to jeopardize life and car health too.
    Lunafiatic, AsylumKing and Ganges like this.