1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Arrival of my new Rockstar - Punto EVO Active 1.3 MJD

Discussion in 'Punto 1.3 MJD' started by SaravM, Dec 6, 2014.

1. SaravM

SaravM Timido

Chennai
    Chennai
    Punto Evo 1.3
    As a first car owner, whatever I have written in this thread may be the blend of exaggeration and enthusiasm(unlimited), so please be tolerant at the level best as much you can :)

Despite being a novice driver, my interest towards cars is limitless and the time spent on the web about my research is immeasurable, perhaps it can be measured if i get my office Internet Service Providers' bill ;) I simply needed a car for no reason, but my financial commitments have kept me bound and set within a budget limit.

So here are the cars which i had shortlisted to be my first one. If you look close, all I have mentioned are Petrol Engines, so diesel was not my choice. Irony ? No Punto in the list? Heard that Punto being the least mileage yielding machine among its rivals and a big doubt about the service satisfaction due to early TATA-FIAT tie-up nightmare, so never thought to bring it to my first car picture :)

1. Alto K10 VXI

2. Ritz VXI or ZXI

3. Grand i10 Magna or Sportz

4. Swift VXI

5. Volkswagen Polo Trendline

My First ever car showroom visit was to Maruti :) Yes, as majority people do :)

In my case, it happened for Alto K10 and I personally loved its look, the cost of the car was way within my budget. Got the quotation and moved out. When I told my car purchase plan to my friends, I could hear a common phrase from everyone, “WHY NOT SWIFT”. It’s not 4 or 5 people, whoever I approached had tossed this name, Is Swift really that strong and well designed ? I never thought it so… but, the repetitive hearing from the relatives and friends had biased me to it and the car purchase plan was again on the table for research, and this time I did not go to the showroom, decided to pull everything off from my PC/Internet.

Most of the reviews of Swift were not good and each thread had at least a single mention about its own family member “RITZ”. Compared RITZ with SWIFT, shares the same engine, dynamics differ, but there was a huge difference in price between those two. Why I should pay extra 50K for the same engine? As I told earlier, Swift according to me was not a very special design and my idea this time blinks on RITZ, took a test drive of the vehicle and was satisfied with the experience. But the side and rear profile of the car was not liked by my relatives and the car became a humiliating factor on that part L No more words to explain why it was rejected then. Even after getting the facelift, Ritz was not emphasized by the dealers and they were very keen in selling Swift, Celerio and Alto. Why should I go for a product which was not even given importance by the seller themselves? So, here comes the Good-Bye bidding time for Maruti showroom.

Considered EON for some time, but the looks of the car differed each and every time when I paid attention. Many a time it looked awful and the car was written as underpowered when compared to Alto k10. So Eon, bye bye…

Further research from several forums helped me in ruling out rest of the shortlisted cars for below reasons.

Grand i10

Frequent battery exhaust complaints on every forum.

Mileage was not that great, Hyundai always claim mileage in big numbers than the actual yield.

The car looks very compressed, especially from the rear.

Volkswagen Polo:

Poor After Sales Service and Availability of spare parts.

Cost of the spares

3 cylinder engine

And there are few cars which I never liked on the whole for several reasons like the way it looks, reliability and mileage. Ford Figo, Nissan Micra, Celerio would be falling under that list.

My First Visit to Fiat Showroom:

And one fine day, I received a call from a representative of a leading automotive website suggesting few cars for me… not surprised that he even did not fail to mention words about SWIFT, but I strongly said a big NO and conveyed to never call me suggesting a vehicle on which I am not interested… I know it was rude, but further conversation with him flipped the entire story of my car purchasing process.

Getting literally ignored by me, the guy from the phone politely asked that what do I need from my car and its requirements. I told him that my budget range is up to 6 Lakhs with a pretty good mileage (be it Petrol or Diesel).

He then suggested me to go with Punto Evo, since its claimed to be the super built body, good handling and ride quality. He affirmed that Fiat service quality after breaking its tie-up with TATA would be promising and they are about to expand its sole service centers in India. I partially confirmed he was nurturing thoughts on me to go for Punto Evo Diesel. I promised him that I would reach out the dealer soon and hung up the call saying thanks to his time and advice.

In a couple of days, I called Ramkay FIAT from Chennai and booked a test drive. The guys from the dealership have brought the TD vehicle to my office, from where I took the vehicle off for the drive. It was Punto Evo 90 HP, once I stepped into the cabin, the all black sporty interiors and the feel inside the cabin really impressed me a lot. Drove it 6 to 7 KMS due to my office time constraint, but the observation which I could figure out from that short span was outstanding,

Exteriors easily score full marks than its outgoing model.

Interiors are great, but there are few parts which feel flimsy (interior door handles)

Excellent Steering Feedback, I could feel the wheels on the road were talking to my hands – 10/10

Suspension was super fantastic.

Engine performance/Pickup – I am not that techie to leave a mention about the FIAT’s MultiJet Engine, After all its being used in most of the cars which are running in India. I had never driven a diesel vehicle in my life so the pickup of this TD vehicle felt good for me.

What more, I wanted another test drive of EVO but this time I asked for the Active Multijet 1.3 without realizing that test drive vehicles are always fully loaded. But I wanted to drive Evo once again, asked the guys to bring the vehicle home which is almost 35 KMS away from the showroom, without hesitation, the vehicle was brought on the requested date(18/10/14) and enjoyed driving it once again. On the same day, paid 25K as advance and booked the vehicle. It was quoted 6.31 lakhs for the vehicle, but I was able to get 15K offer for Diwali occasion and 5K offer for red being a non-premium color (RED Looks HOT MAN !!! How its non-premium), so finally I could place the deal with 20K offer !!! I wanted my vehicle delivery to be on December 5th as my daughter’s birthday gift.

Dealership, Documentation and Delivery:

I should strongly mention that RAMKAY FIAT had simplified my entire documentation process. They were ready to come my home even for a single signature if required. Completely flattened by their service… The PDI for the vehicle was done two days before/after reaching RTO and car was kept in good condition.

Car was sent to RTO on December 2nd itself for the registration to facilitate December 5th’s delivery in line with my preference.

No niggles again, On December 4th evening, I got a call from the showroom guys to take my hot red ROCKSTAR home, it was indeed a sleepless night, and just few hours left for the dream come true.

On December 5th, I along with my family reached the showroom by 9.30 AM to see our family’s new addition for the first time and after completing all the paper work formalities, moved the vehicle around 10.20 AM. There was a little cake cutting ceremony organized by the showroom guys adding feather to cap for their customer satisfaction :)
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2014
    joeswatmail, Raj_pol, Ravi and 5 others like this.
  2. sandipan_r15

sandipan_r15 Superiore

HALDIA
    WEST BENGAL
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Congrats on your purchase.Hope you years of happy driving.If budget permit go for EVO 15" alloys and better tyres(195/60 R15,195/65 R15),that will make a whole lot of difference to your car,both lookwise & dynamically.
    Congrats again.
    Murphy_Fiat, SaravM and prabhjot like this.
  3. punto_emotion

punto_emotion Esperto

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Hearty congrats for your new Evo. You have certainly made an informed and correct decision. Wish you many happy miles with your priced possession. Welcome to TFI
    SaravM likes this.
  4. bibin

bibin Regolare

kochi
    @SaravM please take extended warranty if you haven't taken one.
  5. miteshpunjani

miteshpunjani Amatore

vadodara-gujarat
    Congratulations on getting a new family member. With Fiat satisfaction is guaranteed. Do post some photos.
  6. pabhishek

pabhishek Esperto

Oslo
    Pune
    Linea T-Jet
    Congrats @SaravM ! Do post some pics :)
  7. SaravM

SaravM Timido

Chennai
    Chennai
    Punto Evo 1.3
    Thank You sandipan_r15 ! I have planned to upgrade my wheels to alloys with 195/65 R15 :)
    --- Double Post Merged, Dec 7, 2014 ---
    Thank You Mate :)
    --- Double Post Merged, Dec 7, 2014 ---
    I have not taken the extended warranty yet, will take one soon... Thanks !

Thank You Guys... Will post the pictures soon. In process :)
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2014
  8. PPal

PPal Timido

Mumbai
    Congratulations on the new car. Do post pics. I have not seen a Red Evo yet. Looking forward.

Wish you many happy miles with the ride.
    SaravM likes this.
  9. Pramod N

Pramod N Amatore

Bangalore
    FIAT Punto as Daughter's Birthday Gift.... WOW
    Daughters are definitely Father's Princess...ALWAYS
    SaravM likes this.
  10. SaravM

SaravM Timido

Chennai
    Chennai
    Punto Evo 1.3
    @PPal, Thank You !!! Will post the pics soon...

@Pramod N, Indeed :)