1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Are wider tyres andavantage or disadvantage???

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by sundar1900, Apr 4, 2012.

1. rishigk

rishigk

cochin
    Mine is punto active which comes with 165/80 r14 stock tyres. I am planning to upsize it to 205/60 r15 apollo accelere. Will this affect my suspension? Should I settle for 205/55 instead? I need wider tyres but without affecting ride quality!
  2. vj_v1

vj_v1 Superiore

Hyderabad
    The ride would only be better when using 205/60 when compared to 205/55. But it is unclear whether there is any Wheel Arch contact issue when the car is loaded while using the 205/60 R15's. Off course, you are slightly effecting the ride quality when moving away from your 165/80 r14 profile to the 15 inchers.

Let's see if there are any members with first hand experience with the 205/60 R15's.
  3. N Kiran

N Kiran Staff Member Janitor

Hyderabad
    Prabhakar aka Probiker is running on Yokohama 205/60 R15 ES100s. He did the Leh - Kanyakumari trip on them. I saw his car personally and they are not that big to be worried about. According to him, except for high road noise and low life of tyres, everything is absolutely fine. He has already got a GC kit installed so I am not sure what would be the end result for cars of pre-2012 models without GC kit. IMHO 205/60 R15 should fit-in well inside the wheel arch even if the GC kit has not been installed.
  4. Johnycomelate

Johnycomelate Novizio

Kochi
    My Linea T Jet Plus is shod with stock 205/55/R16 tyres. I right thinking to downsize to 195/55/R16 for better FE ! I am willing to accept the disadvantages that may go with the downsize, as I am not much of a performance enthusiast ! Any comments ?
  5. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    195/55 R16 will also mean 5.5 mm lesser GC. Hope you have considered that.

BTW, if FE was one of your key requirements, the T-Jet is not the ideal choice, at least in B2B traffic.

Rajan
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2013
    2 people like this.
  6. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    tyres should be the least of your worries if you want better FE at our conditions.
    This downsize would hardly make a difference to the F.E. All i can say is drive more cautiously and that should help you achieve your goal. There are more problems downsizing (if at all it can be done) than one tries to solve!
  7. Akshay4384

Akshay4384 Superiore

You would hardly gain anything,perfect choice will be 195/60/R15.
    Please downgrade,i am ready for a trade in with my 15" stock alloys with brand new tyres with your 16" set up :D
  8. Johnycomelate

Johnycomelate Novizio

Kochi
    Thanks Rajan,I got your point and would change my mind. But pray how tyre width alone affects GC !
  9. vj_v1

vj_v1 Superiore

Hyderabad
    ^^ In 205/55, 55 is not the side wall height like you are thinking. The side wall Height is 55% of 205. That is how the GC is effected.
  10. deba

deba Amatore

Itanagar, Arunachal Pradesh
    itanagar
    Grande Punto 1.3
    I upgraded from the stock 165/80r14 JKs to Yokohama ES100 195/60r15 on my Punto MJD Dynamic lkast month. I had done around 12000+kms on the stock Jks. Now i have been driving on the Yoko's for the last one month with one long distance trip, these are the changes i have felt-

1. Not much difference in Ride but Handling has improved significantly, specially while tight cornering and other such maneuveres.
    2. Braking is way better now.
    3. Better steering feedback.
    4. Improvement in high speed stability (this i feel is more psychological as the JKs felt good too, i guess the credit goes to the incredible Punto chassis)
    5. I still cant make out if there is any difference in FE as yet, so even if there is it should be marginal.
    6. Slight increase in road noise.
    7. Last but not the least is the looks, the wider stance of the tyres is very eye pleasing and gives a macho look.