1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Are wider tyres andavantage or disadvantage???

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by sundar1900, Apr 4, 2012.

1. singh

singh Amatore

Mohali
    Wider tyres match Punto's body . Slim tyres look odd . 205/60 R15 on my punto . Very good ride with wide high profile tyres compared to 165/80.
  2. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    Absolutely not

Likewise there is no projection out of the arches nor will there be any scrapping

This is debatable.. FE mainly depends on you're driving style to almost 90-95% the remaining would be all these other factors like areodynamics, tyres ,compound of the tyre and so on..
    So dont bother too much, if at all there is a decrease i dont think you will have more than .5 to 1kmpl difference.

Nope :)

Tyre bulge ?
    Dont worry if you choose the right tire compound (based on you're needs) you will definitely see drastic improvements in handling ...
    Especially in braking..

As for tire brands, I'm sorry I've personally not changed my tyres yet so i've not started researching on this one...
    But one thing I would say is to a better part of you're bargain you need to choose what type of tires you need...
    Some feel they need a soft and quiet rides (soft compounds) and some feel they want tremendous grip and braking efficiency and cornering capabilities (hard compound)
    The thing is both these choices are mutually exclusive ,there is a trade-off to be made
    SO it's really a choice that you will have to work on
  3. royj

royj Esperto

Trivandrum
    The deal looks good.
    Now to your concerns..

1) Trye projecting out of wheel arches - spoiling the look
    - No, they wont project out of wheel arches if you are using the stock rims. It is the rim offset that causes wheels to project out, not the width of the tyre.

2) Any issues with tyre scrapping the wheel arches during steep turns
    - No

3) Drop in FE?
    - Negligible. Traffic conditions and driving habits will have greater influence of FE.

4) Any fitment issues (due to increased tyre width) using the same rim during upgrade?
    - No. Stock rims can hold up to 195mm wide tyres.

5) Any drop in handling/cornering performance due to increased tryre bulge in sides?
    - No. On the contrary, the handling will be better.
  4. ajuvignesh

ajuvignesh Amatore

Chennai, Kanyakumari, Trivandrum.
    Chennai
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    I think in the case of punto there is only a marginal impact on FE with wider tyres. Other than this one must always keep an eye on tyre pressures. Any deviations in Tyre pressure will sure bring down the FE.
  5. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    This is news to me.. I was thinking when i change my tires to 195 i should buy a bigger rim.

Thanks you saved me a 3000rs :)
    I will just the rim checked for any bends or cracks and just pick up tires... ;-)
  6. MJP

MJP Timido

Bangalore
    Guys.. that was quick response! Thanks for your comments.
    Must say I'm impressed. That was my first post to the Forum!
  7. ajuvignesh

ajuvignesh Amatore

Chennai, Kanyakumari, Trivandrum.
    Chennai
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    guys..somewhere i read that the stock rim can hold up to 205 and the stock 195s can be fitted to 16 inch rims.
  8. varoon9999

varoon9999 Superiore

New Delhi,HP 48
    New Delhi,HP 48
    Grande Punto 1.3
    one of my known is using 205'' in his linea with the stock alloy.he is very much happy with the performance and the feel.no issues so far.
  9. soccerfan

soccerfan Regolare

Kochi
    Stock steel rims can hold only upto 185 tyres. 195 will bulge out. i think you are having the 14" steel wheels right?
  10. royj

royj Esperto

Trivandrum
    Recommended rim width range for 195mm wide tires is 5.5" to 7"
    Stock 14" steel rims are 5 1/2 J so they should fit though it might be an edge case.

15" stock alloys can hold 205mm tires. But how can stock 195x15 tires be fitted on 16" rims?