1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Are wider tyres andavantage or disadvantage???

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by sundar1900, Apr 4, 2012.

1. ENKI

ENKI Esperto

But black, forums are about experiences & opinions. Which is most credible, it is up-to the reader?
    It's clearly stated in post based on my driving experience. Even if it's not an experience & an opinion who is certified by manufacturers? All are equally credible. One of Gen. Mgr. in our company with 60 lacs/annual package bought an i10 last year. It's FE can already put Ferrari Berlinetta to run for cover, he swapped some bigger lemon color alloys & wider tires on top of that. He looks shoulder riding an absolute joker, look at me, look at me:D.!! Yesterday he was telling me that with AC on, It's mileage is hardly 6-7 KM/Ltr in local Delhi drive. He is spending Rs. 500 for petrol everyday for his 40 KMs commute. I told him to get dispense with this cheap stuff. He can afford it so why not to go for for BMW/Audi instead of fantasizing it in some Chinese product. He doesn't have any problem with his car what so ever & clearly blames AC/bigger/wider tires in his i10 which dropped his FE from 10 Km/ltr to 6 Km/Ltr:mrgreen:.

Fact is the cars with smaller & thinner tires are not meant to carry big/wider tires. If manufacturers haven't provided wider tires in them, they are not capable enough to carry them over in given conditions. Their suspension will be over in 6 months due to bigger RIMs & their FE/performance would go for a toss. It's obvious. Some one asking that question for Audi/BMW/Merc will be laughed upon. Smaller segments, if FIAT cars have them, reason is simple. Their suspension is capable & engine's are endured enough to match standard FE/performance & suspension can withstand tougher conditions. Simple, these cars meant to carry on such stuff because they are designed to. Why such a deep digging & blaming when scenario is self explanatory?
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2012
  2. Phew

Phew Esperto

New Delhi/Mohali
    FASS
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @ ENKI: pls read

Sundar1900 Asked : Guys can you tell from your experience what are the advantages and disadvantages of the wide tyres?

and ENKI helped : Dears, I guess(an assumption and not experience here) wider tires must affect considerable FE if engines are paper horses only. It is clearly a virtue of Engine's endurance. For eg. what i noticed in Dzhhhhire Petrol (89 BHP, whatever Torque??), that it's engine feels like very agile with only driver as an occupant. However, once it was loaded with 4 people, man!! it was behaving like an auto-rickshaw. I mean those 90 horses felt like 9 donkeys. God knows? I hardly drove it for 20 KMs with heavy pedal (AC on) & all it was doing Revving (crying) but hardly moving. To catch 50-60 km/hr, i had to downshift to 2nd gear, so much strained it was. I could see the fuel indicator's noticeable dip when we returned back after 15 mins of drive. I think, forget about loading, even switching on AC would affect it's mileage by 3-4 kms/ltr if not more. Exact Ditto case with i20. i20 was in even worst situation. Polo petrol was fine though.

Who in the ROODY POO thinks this is the answer to the above question??

I think(yet another assumption and not experience) in such a car with such an engine, if you put 195/60 R15 tires, it's mileage must drop by 1-2 Km/ltr. Now when they avoided it in petrol, it would become questionable if they put wider tires in diesel version, isn't it? However, swift diesel is perfect with wider tires with more grip & no drop in FE. Simply put, it has oodles of torque to lug around. If you don't want to use that min. available torque then that will go as wastage. Putting wider tires/loading/AC are feasible with-in that min. available torque of MJD's. If you don't want to use it, you can't translate that into FE, it's not some grocery shop with exchange offer. That will be wasted.

IMO, Engines should determine the criterion & what vehicle you are referring to. I don't think putting thinner tires/AC/loading of cars with multi-jets will yield anything considerable FE improvement.

ahem so where in the bluest of blue hell is the experience with wider tires mentioned. the reader(read PHEW) fails to find the answer in the above post with or without night vision, guess its time I order another pair for a fellow member too. Any particular liking for the frame design.

back to topic:
    Sundar I have used my punto mjd on 205/55/15 tires for more than an year and the mileage remains almost the same for reference you can check out the delhi TFI meet drive where in a stock punto emotion pack(195/60/15) returned 22.3 kmpl as opposed to mine(205/55/15) which returned 22.1 kmpl on the same road and trip, so this might help you understand better.
    And this is experienced in real terms with Ray-Ban Caravan glasses shod with mirror finished lenses.

also I drive my 1997 zen(52ps) shod with 175/60/13 and still get 14-15 in city with AC so there are no such significant changes in fuel economy. Just relax and enjoy your drive.
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 6, 2012
  3. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    phew::
    ... That is some serious rubber you got there..
    Can you give me these details
    1.) which brand
    2,) dry/wet grip (Regular drive as well as hard cornering)
    3.)braking efficiency
    4.) steering feedback when compared with stock fit tires as opposed to yours.
  4. Rituraj

Rituraj Regolare

Jorhat, Assam
    Again slightly off-topic. I havent come across any alloys in 15inch x 98pcd, but I have found 14 inch 98 pcd ones. Now, my punto active comes with 165/80/R14 tyres. In case I go ahead with 14inch alloys and 185/70/R14 tyres, do you guys think that there will be any reduction in ground clearance? GC in my punto active with stock tyres is just about barely adequate. With anything less, scraping is inevitable.

Rituraj
  5. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    185/70 should definitely be adequate but you can also upsize to 195/65 R15 like we have been discussing already.
    GC will definitely go up.

However here is my 2 cents for you.
    any upsize , +0 , +1 of any combination with alloys ( I presume you are looking for alloys as well since you have mentioned about 98PCDs ) will set you back nothing less than 30-40K
    But if you take it directly to A.S.S and ask for GC upgrade it will cost you about 13k max.
    See the difference?? ;-)
    Bottom line is if you wish to actually change tires because of other reasons apart from GC then I'd say you could think of R15s.. If GC is you're prime objective then the GC kit is the best option
  6. ENKI

ENKI Esperto

No way in hell with 14-15 km/ltr, I hope you are not driving mid night in Delhi. That's not the part of the deal:mrgreen:.
    My MPFI never managed 10 Km/ltr with AC, between 9 AM - 12 AM in Delhi. That's what i mean by local Delhi driving.
    Pick up was clearly an issue with wider tires. Don't ask me what happens to brakes & agility when 2 additional people sit inside it. Wider/bigger tires won't affect anything in Punto, who said Punto?
    But it will definitely affect Swift petrol/i20 petrol/Micra petrol, completely based on lack of torque of their mighty petrols but not ditto their diesels. Punto petrol is already having wider/bigger tires so hardly makes a case here.

Didn't read your post as it seems too lengthy but You rigorously read & research each line of my posts.
    I can't disrespect you hard work, pls keep it up;).
  7. Phew

Phew Esperto

New Delhi/Mohali
    FASS
    Grande Punto 1.3
    1.) Tires - Yokohama S drives/ Rims - konig 15" (5.2 kgs each)
    2.) mercy on tyres_tfi_chail_trip.. - YouTube - the BNW is shod with 205/55/15. check the comment at 3:06 mins. all I can say is grip levels are very high and not easily reached
    3.) hardly ever ABS will kick in, crazy braking efficiency.
    4.) significant improvement as the feel is further enhanced albeit at the cost of a slightly heavier steering.

8. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3

theblack,
    so you are the person that i should look for tires mod :) ,i dont want to for that GC upgrade kit,the lowered punto looks hot and road king.
    thats true i have seen 195/70/r15 only in bridgestone the one you mentioned.
    its sometime annoying that you cant even find the FIAT make in the tire selection based upon the vehicle option.

Same request here,
    if one is wrong try to correct the statements/sentences based upon experiences rather " TU TU MEIN MEIN "
    i would like to upgrade it with 195/70/R15 keeping in mind about Fuel efficiency.
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2012
  9. Phew

Phew Esperto

New Delhi/Mohali
    FASS
    Grande Punto 1.3
    195/70/15 will foul with the wheel arcs
  10. ENKI

ENKI Esperto

You are always welcome my son..::pP!!