1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Are wider tyres andavantage or disadvantage???

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by sundar1900, Apr 4, 2012.

1. theblack

theblack Esperto

Suspected so but everywhere i read about aquaplaning it was only mentioned about wide tires.. Didnt think otherwise...
    Thanks for the clarification.

i drive '09 model with stocks (175/75 R14) , so you say i can safely upgrade to 16" at least? without sidewall issues?
    If so I'm really keen on upsizing it.
    Also a rough idea on the drop in mileage if i change over to 16" ?
    2.) what do you think about the steering feedback as well?
  2. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

TFIan Phew was running his Punto (pre 2012 model) on 17's till recently and did not report any issues regarding clearance. So 16's are no issue.

Can't say about mileage, but yes, heavier tires+alloys will definitely take their toll.

I have been a fan of 185/70 R14 tires on the Punto for a long time. Just because of one reason - we are in India. Ofcourse we can go for 16's, 17's , but at the end of the day if you want to go for a pragmatic all rounder stick to 14's or max 15's.

Till the day our roads rival those of the German Autobahns, we will be better off with higher profile rubber rather than lower one. Upsizing is a purely aesthetic process. It'll have its detrimental effect on ride comfort and the life of the suspension as well. Weigh the pros and cons and proceed further. We've discussed this quite a lot in other threads.

3 people like this.
  3. Phew

Phew Esperto

New Delhi/Mohali
    Grande Punto 1.3
    No problems what so ever with 17's, no clearence issues. Yes mileage does go for a toss and more significantly if the alloy is heavy, I hardly faced low mileage issues as the 17's weighed only 5 kg's a piece thats almost 1-2 kg lighter than the usual HR/league/velosche/plati which are avaiable around(being 14" & 15" and not 17"). All one needs is a GPS(gaddha projection system) to drive on 17's.

for those who might not know GADDHA = pothole :p

Waherguru Waheguru
  4. jumu

jumu Superiore

Mileage should not drop when one upgrades to a higher radius wheel. My thinking is that it should in fact improve. The reason being, for the same rotation of the drive shaft to rotate the wheel, the car covers more distance with a larger radius. This improvement can only be enjoyed if the weight of the wheel is proportionately not much higher than in comparison to the outgoing wheel and it should also not get altered by larger sized tyres. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

1 person likes this.
  5. ENKI

ENKI Esperto

Dears, I guess wider tires must affect considerable FE if engines are paper horses only. It is clearly a virtue of Engine's endurance. For eg. what i noticed in Dzhhhhire Petrol (89 BHP, whatever Torque??), that it's engine feels like very agile with only driver as an occupant. However, once it was loaded with 4 people, man!! it was behaving like an auto-rickshaw. I mean those 90 horses felt like 9 donkeys:mrgreen:. God knows? I hardly drove it for 20 KMs with heavy pedal (AC on) & all it was doing Revving (crying) but hardly moving. To catch 50-60 km/hr, i had to downshift to 2nd gear, so much strained it was. I could see the fuel indicator's noticeable dip when we returned back after 15 mins of drive. I think, forget about loading, even switching on AC would affect it's mileage by 3-4 kms/ltr if not more. Exact Ditto case with i20. i20 was in even worst situation. Polo petrol was fine though.

I think in such a car with such an engine, if you put 195/60 R15 tires, it's mileage must drop by 1-2 Km/ltr. Now when they avoided it in petrol, it would become questionable if they put wider tires in diesel version, isn't it? However, swift diesel is perfect with wider tires with more grip & no drop in FE. Simply put, it has oodles of torque to lug around. If you don't want to use that min. available torque then that will go as wastage. Putting wider tires/loading/AC are feasible with-in that min. available torque of MJD's. If you don't want to use it, you can't translate that into FE, it's not some grocery shop with exchange offer:mrgreen:. That will be wasted.

IMO, Engines should determine the criterion & what vehicle you are referring to. I don't think putting thinner tires/AC/loading of cars with multi-jets will yield anything considerable FE improvement.
    1 person likes this.
  6. Phew

Phew Esperto

New Delhi/Mohali
    Grande Punto 1.3
    correct me if I am wrong, but I cant seem to find or read anywhere in the above post as to on what tires or alloys was that particular "Dzhhhhire" riding on.
    secondly how are you trying to enlighten our fellow member here with assumptions?? estimations?? imagination?? google??

lastly what in the blue hell does this mean/serve - "it's not some grocery shop with exchange offer".

done get me wrong and I do hope you help me out with the above queries. :)
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 6, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  7. singh

singh Amatore

Even stock 195/60 R15 looks small on punto . 205/60 is good upgrade , fuel economy will be same , or may be 3-4% less , but benefits of ride comfort , braking are more than stock .
    All in all, SENSIBLY upgraded tires are better than anything.
  8. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    Grande Punto 1.3
    if 195/60 R15 is upgraded to 195/70 R15,does this helps in GC increase ? has anyone done this ?
  9. ENKI

ENKI Esperto

It will surely do as the sidewalls have increased by 10 mm.. It should be a direct 10 mm gain in GC as per my understanding.
    Not sure though??

---------- Post added at 05:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:41 PM ----------

Last edited: Apr 6, 2012
  10. theblack

theblack Esperto

it surely has to.. And this was actually my pick as well, in another thread in this forum.
    Good to know someone also thinks the same.
    But I inquired about 195/70 and I was not able to get that combo in many places..
    Be it BS , michellin or yoko.(But on the BS website I see that 195/70 exists)
    I think i need to look harder. But if i get a choice I think i will upgrade to 195/70

I've almost finalized on picking up BS, G3 potenza let me see when my current BS dies

---------- Post added at 07:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:27 PM ----------

I request you to not be condescending please.
    We are not here to fight over anything just discuss and gain knowledge .
    We all might miss a few lines here and there and its human..