1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Are wider tyres andavantage or disadvantage???

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by sundar1900, Apr 4, 2012.

1. sundar1900

sundar1900 Amatore

Let me see after 5K km, I was just curious to know about owners experience...
  2. PranavOne

PranavOne Amatore

Sundar, I would suggest you Michelin Primacy, If you plan to change as soon as taken delivery Please contact BM LAL tyres opposite to satyam theater car parking (whites road) Approximately he would buy your stock tyre @ 2500-2750 I guess, Because he would take Rs.2250 for JK Tornado 165R14-80.
  3. teky

teky Esperto

Good Years are not as bad they are made to be, It should suit your driving style and the pot hole ridden Indian roads. Understand the vehicle first and think about all these options.
    1 person likes this.
  4. maverick

maverick Amatore

Even I would suggest you not to jump into conclusions. Mine is an EPack Punto, with Apollo Accellare 195/60/R15, I have never faced any issues, I do get 20+ kmpl on highway rides and that too the AC is always on. Use the car for atleast 4 - 6 months before taking a decision. All the best with your new car.
    1 person likes this.
  5. jumu

jumu Superiore

Wider tyres need not always mean more wear and tear. Wider tyres definitely mean more contact area, in fact wear and tear will be less than skinny tyres as the chassis load on a wider tyre is distributed on more area of rubber width and hence may last more if used well. The chassis load is more on skinny tyres.

This is the reason why trucks have more wheels at the rear and also nowadays they have a set of wheels in the middle of the chassis length too. All this is to minimize the load on the tyre and reduce excessive rolling resistance on limited set of tyres.

6 people like this.
  6. Ferrariscdr

Ferrariscdr Amatore

good discussion :)
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2012
  7. ganesh g

ganesh g

Hi Sundar last week i took my Oceanic blue Punto delivery ,straight headed to Lal tyres at chennai and changed my stock tyres to Continental CPC2 tyres.The stock tyres are taken back or Rs.3250 and CPC2 costed me Rs.5100 per tyre.I can feel the change in steering,Road response,Less Noise in my new tyres.
  8. theblack

theblack Esperto

if you live in cold/rainy places it makes sense to NOT go for wider tires because of a phenomena called Aquaplaning - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (Hydroplaning)
    In dry weather conditions wider tiers will offer good grip as the contact area is more.

Wider or not , it also depends on the type of tire you choose, if you choose one with soft compounds (some michellins) the grip will be less than harder compound tires (bridgestones).
    So its a trade off that you need to make depending on you're driving conditions.

In General,
    wide tires :: Good road grip/traction on rocky surfaces, highways, normal streets in dry conditions,
    Narrow tires :: Good in rain soaked roads as it deflects water better

PS:: but how wide is wide enough for you and how narrow is narrow enough for you, that you need to decide :)
  9. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

It is not the size, but poor tread design or tread depth which can cause aquaplaning. You can put as big a tire as you want, if the tread design+design is good , you will never aquaplane. Only on snow are less wider tires preferred.

The Punto with 195/60/R15 is not over-tyred. It is perfect. Infact one size small, but to keep costs in check - 15"s are okay. Otherwise the Punto body demands nothing less than 17" to fill the wheel wells and present a better look.

Manja has smaller tires because TATA wants to cut costs everywhere.
    2 people like this.
  10. sundar1900

sundar1900 Amatore

Gurji, this is the response that answers my million dollar doubt. After seeing Manza's tyre I asked myself "does punto look like a nano with XUV's tyres?" little exaggerated though I doubted it the 15 inch tyres are perfect or oversized for punto...good answer and I am 100% satisfied..