1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Are wider tyres andavantage or disadvantage???

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by sundar1900, Apr 4, 2012.

1. Akshay4384

Akshay4384 Superiore

That is not due to increase in contact patch,but it is due to the ES100 tires,they are very noisy.
  2. deba

deba Amatore

Itanagar, Arunachal Pradesh
    itanagar
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Okay, i thought it was due the wider tyres which have a higher contact area. How do we identify tyres which will have high noise / low noise?
  3. Akshay4384

Akshay4384 Superiore

Tires with Directional Pattern like Yokohoma ES 100,Bridgestone Potenza GIII and Yokohoma S drives will be noisier than Comfort oriented tyres like Yokohoma DB decibel.
    Plus point of directional tires is that they are more grippy.
    1 person likes this.
  4. Johnycomelate

Johnycomelate Novizio

Kochi
    Got it ! Thanks.

5. deba

deba Amatore

Itanagar, Arunachal Pradesh
    itanagar
    Grande Punto 1.3
    This is the Avg Fuel Consumption i got on my 195/60R15 Yokohama tyres on my way back from Guwahati to Itanagar with AC on all the way. Pretty good considering i did some real speed on the highway, crossed many towns and villages and the roads here aint the best. So i feel the upsizing from the stock 165/80R14 to 195/60R15 wider tyres dont really have that much of an effect on FE, and the improvement in handling, braking etc which you get with the upsize is really worth it.

IMG_20130803_174630.jpg

IMG_20130803_174638.jpg
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2013
  6. Hi Sundar,

i have a Punto 2009, and they are shod with Yokohoma 205/55R15 S Drive tyres with Lenso 5 spoke rims, beleive me the car looks simply awesome and sexy, and though it's 4 years old my baby still turns heads. As regards to mileage...... I was transporting my bikes on a truck and I followed the truck over a distance of 135 Kilometres at a speed of 60 - 70 kmph and hold on to your pants.........the mileage I got was a whopping 24.7 kmpl. The company people couldn't believe it.As regards to performance speed wise, I have clocked a max of 169kmph on the NICE ring road.....so there....don't fear just go for the wider tyres and enjoy your drive.... Cheers

Arvind Reuben
  7. varunrtr

varunrtr Esperto

KL-01/ TO
    Grande Punto 1.3
  8. Manojkumar

Manojkumar Timido

Coimbatore
    Coimbatore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Hi Friends , I have a punto Dynamic , recently changed my tyres with 195 70 R14 . I have a doubt about the increased load to the steering system, Inclusive of ball joint . Is there any change in steering system design and wheel bearings ? If any one can clarify it would be a great help Please .
  9. Tornado

Tornado Superiore

Driver's seat.
    Western Maharashtra
    Avventura 1.3 90 HP
    Present fiat cars have adequately wide tyres.
    You need further wide tyres only if you are doing higher speeds & mostly do highway trips, else widening the tyres unnesserily decrease the FE & expose the tyres to sidewall cut.

If you are doing highway trips mostly with high speeds and want wider tyres to increase the stability of the already stable car, 'inching up' is the answer, i. e. choose a rim with higher diameter & tyre suitable for rim diameter with lesser section width.

Inching up gives you sports car like handling and increase in stability.
  10. pdash

pdash Regolare

Bangalore
    Mahadevapura
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @Manojkumar I think you are the first one in this forum to have 195 70 14. Is it on the stock rims.

I never heard any negative feedback on this profile. We will be desperately looking forward to get the review from you.
    Pradeepms likes this.