1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Are wider tyres andavantage or disadvantage???

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by sundar1900, Apr 4, 2012.

1. sundar1900

sundar1900 Amatore

Chennai
    Hi,

I have booked 2012 1.3 mjd emotion 76 hp just this week. One of the reasons I went with the top end was that it has the widest tyres in its segment which to my eyes looked sexy. But now I feel its way too big for a hatch as even some sedans have smaller tyre than this. My tyre is 195/60 R15 and when I saw manza in the showroom it had a smaller tyre which made me think "Are my punto's tyres not a right fit for a car of this dimension? Then I went to check some forums about this and many commented that, the performance will be slightly less for wide tyred cars as there is more friction with the road and also the fuel efficiency would be less. I now worry it may wade slower and even struggle to move in water and sand

Guys can you tell from your experience what are the advantages and disadvantages of the wide tyres?
  2. Ferrariscdr

Ferrariscdr Amatore

Karnataka
    I dont agree with you...the wider tyres looks awesome on Punto and especially i like 2011 vehicle because you dont have such a wide gap before GC upgrade.

The vehicle punto and lineas require such a tyres for more stability and better steering feedback..it gives more traction on flat surface (ofcourse honda city may be better on snow than Linea;) ) and thats the reason even race cars have wider tyres for more friction and better stability
  3. prakhar_lfc

prakhar_lfc Superiore

Bhubaneswar, Odisha, India
    Bhubaneswar, Odisha, India
    Linea T-Jet
    Advantages of wide tyres:

1. Grip: As more rubber is in contact with the road, the tyres will provide more grip. It also makes the car more stable. Helpful while attacking corners.

2. Aesthetics: Wider tyres certainly look good (Compare a Punto with 14 inch wheels with a one with 15 inchers.)

Disadvantages:

1. High Rolling Resistance: Having more rubber in contact increases the friction between the road and the tyre. This increases the wear and tear.

2. Less Fuel Economy: Wider tyres do have a negative impact on fuel economy.

The tyres in Punto are perfect for the car's size. Wider tyres have a greater negative impact if the tyres are excessively wide (proturding from the wheel arches).

So don't worry and enjoy the phenomenal grip of your Punto :)
  4. sundar1900

sundar1900 Amatore

Chennai
    Great...I was told the stock tyres in my car is Goodyear. How is Goodyear compared to other brands?
  5. apraveen25

apraveen25 Novizio

Hyderabad
    My too got Goodyear with my punto 6 months ago. They are noicy.

I am planning to change them but after 40000kms.
  6. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Good year is good till 9 to 10K KMS after that you will feel like in Jet with too much noise from tires....
    Wider tires are good 195/60/R15 with this you are very much confident on corners while driving...
    the more the wider the more the grip,coming to fuel efficiency not much difference hardly 0.5Kmpl.
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2012
  7. sundar1900

sundar1900 Amatore

Chennai
    If I have to change tyres after some running, which brand would you suggest and how much each tyre costs?
  8. puntosat

puntosat Superiore

Bangalore
    I changed to Yokohama A drive 185/70/R14...looks very good till now..no big drop in FE
    1 person likes this.
  9. sundar1900

sundar1900 Amatore

Chennai
    Puntosat mine is 195/60/R15, so is my concern...
  10. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    sundar,
    i think you shoudl drive for atleast 5000 Kms and then come up with concerns.. is 5K Kms too much :)
    thats early call for your concerns !