1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Are our cars OBD II compliant?

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by Linear, Apr 30, 2013.

1. KayGeeFIAT

KayGeeFIAT

Chennai
    How much? Where? I'm planning to buy one. I do know that my Linea MJD 2012 is ODB2 compliant (says so in the manual). But I guess you need to check in the manual of your car model to confirm.
    1 person likes this.
  2. Linear

Linear Amatore

Thane
  3. pemmasg

pemmasg Regolare

Chennai
    We need to be careful about these devices as there are lot of pirated ELM327 available.

ELM327 is a programmed micontroller chip released by ELM electronics. The microcontroller used is PIC18F2480 from microchip. ELM electronics sell these microcontrollers along with extensive documentation if you are a electronic hobbyist you can make your own device. To get more info visit Elm Electronics.

Here is the wiki information on how the Chinese clones came to existence...

The 1.0 version of the ELM327 did not implement copy protection, and the PIC code was copied[SUP][/SUP][SUP][/SUP] and widely sold in devices claiming to contain an ELM327 device. Numerous problems have been reported[SUP][/SUP] with Chinese clones, partially due to bugs inherent in the early code.

Although these pirate clones may contain the ELM327 v1.0 code, they may falsely report the version number as the current version provided by the genuine ELM327, and in some cases report an as-yet non-existent version.[SUP][/SUP] The actual function of these pirate clones is nonetheless limited to the function of the original ELM327 v1.0, with inherent deficiencies.

So while buying look for genuine latest ones.

Regards
    Gopi
    RaviHegde, royj, Cinju and 2 others like this.
  4. Aniket

Aniket Superiore

Thane, Mumbai
  5. Viny

Viny Esperto

:)
    Chinese ones come with ELM 1.3/1.4 and cant expect anything orignal from chinese manufacturer. On top of it, i got this working around early 2010
  6. KayGeeFIAT

KayGeeFIAT

Chennai
  7. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Glad that it works. Chinese clones do work, but are not reliable. The 1.0 version of the ELM327 did not implement copy protection, and the PIC code was copied and widely sold in devices claiming to contain an ELM327 device. Numerous problems have been reported with Chinese clones, partially due to bugs inherent in the early code.

Although these pirate clones may contain the ELM327 v1.0 code, they may falsely report the version number as the current version provided by the genuine ELM327, and in some cases report an as-yet non-existent version.The actual function of these pirate clones is nonetheless limited to the function of the original ELM327 v1.0, with inherent deficiencies.

Rajan
  8. fernandeskaran

fernandeskaran Amatore

Mumbai, Maharashtra
    Mumbai Suburban
    Linea 1.3
    could some one tell me what does the pre 2010 multijet use CAN 11bit or 29bit
  9. dieselnut

dieselnut

Bhubaneswar
    Guys I have Feb 2011 Punto MJD. Please let me know where in the owners book to check if my car is OBD II compliant as I plan to buy a USB ELM 327 scanner from a Bangalore eBay seller.
  10. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    The owners' manual will not have any information on OBD II. Your car is compliant and the OBD II port is located in the fuse box under the steering wheel. What exactly are you planning to do with the scanner?

Rajan