1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Are our cars OBD II compliant?

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by Linear, Apr 30, 2013.

1. Linear

Linear Amatore

Thane
    Are the Fiats OBD II compliant?

I know that a few of you have tired the OBD II scanner on your car, but IIRC they were all diesels, and it does work on the multijet. I am howver, mainly concerened about the petrols.

I recently bought a bluetooth scanner & it refuses to communicate with my ECU. I am going to test it on my colleague's i10 to decide whether the scanner is faulty, but a search on google led me to a link on scantools.net where an Indian member said that Linea 1.4 is not OBD II compliant. I am a little surprised to see this, and would like to have inputs from you guys.

If it's indeed the case, I have lost some money.:evil:
  2. Viny

Viny Esperto

:)
    Did you checked my thread on HUD
    DIY - Linea / Punto Head Up Display (HUD)
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  3. pemmasg

pemmasg Regolare

Chennai
    What is the make/model of the scanner you bought? What is the price? Have you tried testing it with a MJD?

Regards
    Gopi
  4. Linear

Linear Amatore

Thane
    It's a chinese make, but ELM 327. I don't have any MJD car around to test on it, but yesterday I tried it on my colleague's i10 and it worked like a charm.

I'm coming to the conclusion that my OBD port is the culprit.
  5. pemmasg

pemmasg Regolare

Chennai
    Have you fastened it correctly? I have a ELM327 based OBD-II scanner in which I faced a small hurdle in fastening the device. I think you might have tried this out already but I am telling this as just in case. Do you have any LED indications to show whether it is powered/communicating?

If you have the OBD-II port/socket then IMO it should be supporting the corresponding protocol as well. The communication protocol supported by FIAT and Hundai is ISO 14230 KWP2000. I got this information based on some research in internet [I haven't confirmed this info officially]. In fact I tried to build my own scanner, after information gathering phase I dropped the idea as I felt it as similar to reinventing the wheel :)

Regards
    Gopi
    1 person likes this.
  6. Linear

Linear Amatore

Thane
    I tried removing & re-inserting the adapter a few times. The power LED (RED) on it glows, but the communication LED (GREEN) does not. It seems to me that it's a case of poor connection. Is ASC the only way to diagnose / correct this?
  7. pemmasg

pemmasg Regolare

Chennai
    If the scanner from service station is working fine I will not suspect the car's connections. If your device has powered up then I am wondering why you would not get the bluetooth connection is not up.
    Are you using your mobile to connect? In that case have you disconnected your phone pairing with your car?

Regards
    Gopi
    1 person likes this.
  8. Linear

Linear Amatore

Thane
    I am getting BT connection with my tab - pairing with the device is fine. Also, my mobile is connected with Blue & Me, but I am not using it for this. I am using my tab for this purpose & there is no other BT device paired with the tab.

I also unpaired & paired the device a few times, but with the same result.
  9. Aniket

Aniket Superiore

Thane, Mumbai
    all android and Pc software working with punto Linea but but . . . . . .
    only after 05 2010 manufactured FIAT only

Rest 2009 FIAT working with only FIAT ECU scanner application and ALFA OBD (android) app

so Device is working just try different software's

DASH command is best for Android IMO
    no issues till now in last 4 months

this scanner works Fine with almost all obd2 softs ,worked fine with some Vehicles with Dash command and torque software(android)

XUV 5oo 2012
    Tata safari dicore 2008
    Honda CIvIC 2011
    suzuki swift VDI 2007 (1st gen DDIS)
    suzuki swift 2005 petrol 1.3 (not all sensor and PID worked)
    suzuki Esteem 2005 BS3 (not all sensor and PID worked)
    FIAT Punto 75 hp dec 2010
    FIAT punto 90hp 2011
    Wagon R cng 2011
    FIAT PUNTO 2009 worked only with ALFA OBD and Multiecuscanner

I have mentioned Manufacturing Dates of vehicles

So If your Fiat is manufactured During 2008 to May 2010 , it vl work only with Fiat ecu scanner (multi Ecu scanner) and alfa OBD android

SO THERE IS NO PROBLEM WITH your fiat its problem of that china made scanner which do not support all iso and pid

I am sure your linea is from 2008 2010 batch
    Last edited: May 1, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  10. Viny

Viny Esperto

:)
    2 people like this.