1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Are fiat vehicles safe ?

Discussion in 'Safety First!' started by zam123, Apr 29, 2016.

1. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Now that there is understandable. You have more and more resentment as you try to dig deep. Your best bet is form a local Fiat support group and Bangalore is a very active Fiat place. So nothing is going to convince anyone to see it in any different light, except it was a very overwhelming incident, but people have come out from bigger incidences.

I personally have a great big story of wanting to kill myself due to car issues and a Fiat mind you.. ;) And by the way wronged by the most resourceful garage of Fiat this side of Mumbai. But there is one thing I knew that it's a mechanical thing and people around were taking for a ride and the car should not be blamed; its the people at Fiat or outside. And when I look at Punto and Linea I see what capability this company has wrt the way the cars are designed for a mass market vehicle and certain aspects need salute rather than bashing and people hold on to these nicer aspects and carry on with their routines. Car is important but once it takes your entire focus you will have misery. Go slow with a chewing gum attitude and towards the root of the issue. Someday you will appreciate what you would have lost parting with it, should you hold on to it.
    --- Double Post Merged, Apr 29, 2016 ---
    Why will everyone accept things when majority have different experiences. You must understand the empathy people have, but you certainly have a long way to go before you can really motivate opinions.

And yes I am starting to think your agitation while understandable, if you have low tolerance for issues (not that this is a small issue) you kindly reconsider your decisions, because there are huge majority here who would sail through these issues without complains.
  2. Rachit Bhatnagar

Rachit Bhatnagar Amatore

Dehradun
    You didn't mention if you installed any high current drawing after market gadgets. As you mentioned it was heavily raining could be any water ingress which caused a short circuit leading positive terminal to melt. Though it's very unlikely but possible. It's really scary situation you faced that day but there are many more serious incidents happen on drives, people don't stop driving or scrap cars because of this. So move on from this bad experience and enjoy your car.
    I must say Fiat cars are much better, safe and secure than many other cars. By the way I do have a Maruti Suzuki Wagon R but whenever I go on long drive it's always linea tjet

Sent from my C6502 using Tapatalk
  3. jayadev.m4u

jayadev.m4u Amatore

Vijayawada
    @zam123: hi sir. I'm sorry to hear that you have to go through such a scary situation in the initial days of owning a new car (let's keep the fact that it's a Fiat aside). I do understand your rage and anger. There are many members along with you who have faced situations of being stranded middle of the road at some point.

Even I had a experience of the car suddenly loosing its power while overtaking a truck on a highway and had to pullover. It was scary too. When I have gone to the SA they have diagnosed it to be the turbo hose leak due to wear and tear.

So all I want to say is that issues are a common thing in the ownership experience. Yes some scary ones literally shake us up. But being patient and resolving the issue can give you the chance of experiencing the best of your car like the way others did.

By the way I bought a Fiat after a scary accident on a Maruthi Swift where the tyres got locked and hit a biker. I saw many such instances and finally took the used Fiat Linea for the safety of my family and also the fellow road users.

Cheers,
    Jaya Dev

Sent from my XT1033 using Tapatalk
  4. zam123

zam123 Novizio

bangalore
    Avventura 1.3 90 HP

I have not installed any after market devices. It was not a short circuit. It was an open circuit. I did get a opinion from a local garage and he also says this could have happened due to lose connection of wire on the terminal. you can see there are two wires going out from the positive terminal , the one on the left side was not tightened with a nut,due to that there could have been a sparks which could melt the plastic cap.

Assuming this is the likely case , i really wonder what kind of QA is done at fiat factories. so its still hard for me to accept that fiat vehicles are safe and secure. so its become very hard to enjoy the vehicle now. I used to have the confidence to drive 100 or more before, now i can only manage 60-70. Very frustrating to say the least.

Yes , since i have already made the mistake of buying a fiat in-spite of many people telling me not to. I must now face the consequences and live with it.

I guess there is no point blaming anyone, fiat or dealer when its my mistake.

Sure this could have happened to any other make's car , but i expected better from fiat. Again my mistake of keeping higher expectation from fiat.
  5. zam123

zam123 Novizio

bangalore
    Avventura 1.3 90 HP
    update: The dealer mechanic came to my house and replaced the battery cables and checked if there was any heating issues after some test drives. There was none and it looks fine for now.

Analysis:
    He said he has never seen anything like this before and he has been servicing fiat vehicles since 2009. So its safe to assume that it was indeed a faulty battery cable. He also said that the nut is not required on one of other cables as its designed that way and no nut is required to put on,but no harm in keeping it also. So its not even a possibility of loose connections. In all probability it was a faulty cable which could not withstand the heat generated from the currents.He did admit that its is indeed very strange that this would happen to a new vehicle.

I must say i have gained back some confidence and its not ALL bad for fiat.
  6. Rachit Bhatnagar

Rachit Bhatnagar Amatore

Dehradun
    Good to know your confidence returned in Fiat. Thanks for keeping thr forum members updated with your case, in most of the cases people just post their query or grievance and dissappear but you kept this thread active until problem solved.

Sent from my C6502 using Tapatalk
    Murphy_Fiat likes this.
  7. Murphy_Fiat

Murphy_Fiat Superiore

Trivandrum
    Trivandrum
    Linea T-Jet
    Now we can Ask for Some Drool worthy Pics of your Avvy :)
  8. selwyn.a

selwyn.a Amatore

KA51
    GA01
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    o_O So you are not going to be selling it? :rolleyes: I think many people were waiting for that :D just kidding. Enjoy your Avvy !
  9. zam123

zam123 Novizio

bangalore
    Avventura 1.3 90 HP
    @Rachit Bhatnagar

sure i will always keep my issues updated. This is why the forum was created. To share our problems/queries so it can help others.

@Murphy_Fiat

Sure will post. I need to give a good wash, its a bit dirty due to rain showers.

@selwyn.a

Thanks. I don't think anyone wants to buy my avvy. They can check with dealers. Plenty of avvy with them.

Now i am thinking of modding. I want to make my avvy have a more sporty exhaust note. It is worth it to add a FFE to a diesel?. Any suggestions. I understand that adding a FFE can reduce the FE by 1-2 km/l. But i can live with that.
    Murphy_Fiat likes this.
  10. sathishgv

sathishgv Regolare

Paradip, odisha
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Well done zam. That's the way to move on. Keep driving the car more. Your confidence will slowly turn into passion;)