1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Are fiat vehicles safe ?

Discussion in 'Safety First!' started by zam123, Apr 29, 2016.

1. zam123

zam123 Novizio

bangalore
    Avventura 1.3 90 HP
    Sure, i can explain. but i m afraid people will pounce on me and the main issue will get distracted. Love can be blinding.

But let me explain and i really don't care what happens...

I too being a fiat fan bought a avvy this jan 2016 and it was not the best delivery experience , but none the less i had made up my mind that the niggles will be there and i was prepared to face them. But what happened to me , i was unprepared for. The experience was so scary that i m still not able to sleep properly even today.

The other day i was driving normally, there was bit of rain , so i closed windows and put on the AC and i was happily driving and all of a sudden the engine stalled and my car stopped right in the middle of traffic. I panicked , as i could not get out of the car due to traffic and rain, there were heavy vehicles behind me and one of them did manage to slightly touch my vehicle and get away. I was scared for my life but i was very lucky that traffic was moving slowly. Then two traffic cops came and stopped the traffic and helped me to move the vehicle to the side. I tried starting the engine many times , then suspected something could be wrong with the battery as there was no power at all.

I managed to get the vehicle to side with the help of the two cops and i relaxed for a bit. I then opened the bonnet to see if there was any issue and sure enough the plastic cap on the batteries positive terminal had melted. I was initially under the impression that there could have been some short circuit , but it was actually an open circuit. So i see all the mess and terminal had be fused with the body of the battery. I then cleaned up the plastic and detached the terminal. removed the plastic cap.

Finally the engine started, so i put on the hazard light and safely bought the vehicle home.

I cannot tell you the horror that was going in my mind , had this happened on a highway , i would be dead for sure.

The next day i called up the dealer and told him the whole story , he says i have never heard of anything like this before and i explained to him my situation. Obviously he doesn't care since his job of selling the vehicle is over. Doesn't matter if the customer had died right after the sale. Not his issue. I told him that i have no confidence in driving the vehicle anymore as the car can stall anytime anywhere. He says nothing can be done. This is how he got the vehicle from fiat factory and this is how he delivered.

To think that i was driving as high speeds with my family and relatives in the vehicle gives me sleepless nights.

I even wrote about the situation to Fiat india, no response so far.

Note that is a 3 month old vehicle and vin says nov 15 and it is of nov 15 make.

Now i have parked my vehicle in my garage(first time in 10 years) and i m not going to sell it or drive it anymore. I will probably be sending it to scrapyard. The decision is yet to be made. I had owned a maruti wagon R for 10 years before getting a fiat and it never stalled on me.

Attaching some screenshots.

All can i say is fiat's quality had gone down drastically and they are no more safer than maruti/Hyundai tin cans. The drive and handing is superb and i did enjoy the drives till this incident. But what use of good handling and fun , when you know the vehicle can give up on you anytime risking your life and your family.

I hope this post makes prospective buyers think 10 times before buying a fiat.

img_20160427_232640349-jpg.87907.jpg

img_20160427_232647295-jpg.87908.jpg

img_20160427_232659727-jpg.87909.jpg

img_20160427_232753076-jpg.87910.jpg

img_20160427_232951041-jpg.87911.jpg
  2. jumu

jumu Superiore

Chennai
    You are pure paranoid. Cars are all a combination of mechanical, electrics and electronics finely integrated. Any malfunction can happen in any device. Didnt the space shuttle fall?, the challenger explode on launch ? They were products of the highest engineering and safety. Didnt Singapore airlines Boeing 747 crash on the runway? Its an airline with highest safety record. Yours seems to be a momentary overload of current on the battery which resulted in the battery lead melting up. Just replace the battery and get going. Anything can happen to anybody at any time. No guarantees. Its a good car. Ive had one for 5 years and bought another one and using for the last two years. Cheer up. Have a positive mind and enjoy the Avvy. My friend is parting with his Punto with a heavy heart and a tear in his eye only to tide over a financial distress. Such is the appreciation of users, and here you are abandoning your fantastic Avvy to the scrap yard. Cheer up and lead her out of your garage:)

Abdul
  3. zam123

zam123 Novizio

bangalore
    Avventura 1.3 90 HP
    This is what i was afraid of. The lax and careless attitude.

@jumu, this issue has not happened to you right in the middle of traffic with your family or friends. Then you would understand the seriousness of the issue.

The battery terminal melting is a minor issue , but the consequences can be fatal.

you may not care about the safety of yourself or your family, but i worry like hell.

The "momentary" load of current can happen next time also, what then?. This never happened to my wagon R in 10 yrs , but only in just 3 months of new fiat vehicle.

will you say and give the same reply if someone dies due to this reason?

I was under the same impression as you are now. you are enjoying your vehicle for last 2 years , if something serious happens like this will you still carry around this same attitude?
  4. jumu

jumu Superiore

Chennai
    Your decision is right boss. I rest my case.

Abdul
  5. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Yes. It is a scary situation when you car stalls suddenly in the middle of the road. I can understand your reaction, had this been a known problem which has occurred with several cars of the same make or at least from a particular batch. This seems to be an one-off incident and you are overreacting. If it were me, I would get to the bottom of the issue and get it resolved, rather than sending a brand new car to the scrap yard. Of course, you seem to be able to afford that, so it is your call.
  6. zam123

zam123 Novizio

bangalore
    Avventura 1.3 90 HP
    I did email to FCA india. They finally called me and told me they will get back with some resolution in 2 hours. laughable to say the least.

Yes its a one off incident ,but it happened to a brand new fiat. what are the chances right?

Overreacting to a safety issue? really? What is one supposed to do?

How do i get to the bottom of the issue. I can only assume the issue is with fiat's quality assurance, but will they admit it ? Since this matter is a life and death issue, i don't think they will admit to anything and this being india, legal route is hard. They can get away with murder.

send it to scrap yard? this decision is a hard one for me. I don't know what else to do. I cannot sell it anyone because unlike fiat i cannot endanger the life of the buyer. I cannot drive it because i have no confidence in the vehicle. The matter is not about affording it or not. do you see the point? I am stuck in a rock and hard place.

some members will have to excuse me , the rage and anger in me has still not settled.
  7. Calvinv

Calvinv Timido

Mumbai
    Fiat Enthusiast
    @zam123
    I think what the others are trying to say is that even a Honda or Toyota can have a one-off Battery problem.
    However...if the company does not respond within a reasonable amount of time, and convincingly get to the bottom of the problem, it can't even be classified as a one-off battery problem!
    I understand your anger, and hope Fiat sets it right soon. You certainly are doing the general public a world of good by reporting this incident, along with any follow up taken
  8. MakeTheMove

MakeTheMove Regolare

Pune
    Linea T-Jet
    @zam123, you are extremely lucky, your car ran for 3 months. There is one case where car does not even ran that long. Car in picture is Wagon R, here is link

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...suffered-breakdown-fighting-court-maruti.html

I think you are right and you should send car to scrapyard. Please let us know the expected price from this scrap. I am sure there would be lot of people from this forum who would eager to act as scrapyard dealer for your car. Count me in as well. :angelic:
  9. mchanna

mchanna Superiore

Pune
    Count me in too please :D

and some more links for your reference and to say you are really lucky! and this can happen with any manufacturer. Reconsider your decision and enjoy the drive :)

http://www.motoroids.com/news/brand...ly-catches-fire-minutes-after-owner-parks-it/
    http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...icles-catching-fire-india-34.html#post3896751
    https://www.rushlane.com/maruti-suzuki-celerio-diesel-catches-fire-12175296.html
  10. zam123

zam123 Novizio

bangalore
    Avventura 1.3 90 HP
    you people are jumping to conclusions. I have REPEATEDLY said that sending to scrap is still under consideration.

Fiat finally sent an email saying inconvenience is deeply regretted, the standard answer to anything. They said they would find the resolution in 2 hours. Now its been more than 5 hours. They have involved the dealer now. The dealer clearly told me that they cant do anything when i called him the first time. I have to see what excuses he will make this time when fiat is involved.

So now the blame game starts and eventually i m afraid they will put the blame on me and i m preparing for the case as well.

The point here is that if the car engine has stuttered and given me some time to pull to the side of the road and then stalled, I would be fine with it. But any vehicle be it maruti, fiat or any manufacturer, engine stalling suddenly right in the middle of road is a serious issue. No exceptions here and this issue cannot be taken lightly. We cannot say its a one off issue. That is completely unacceptable.

It all depends now on the dealer or fiat to find the root cause , if they can its acceptable and i can get back some confidence. However , if they cannot , then i have no choice. In that case no fiat cars on road are safe and EVERYONE here must accept that fact and prepare themselves.

I will keep you all posted if something happens..