1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Apple - Samsung Trial in the US/Worldwide

Discussion in 'Gadgets / Electronics / Laptops' started by gurjinder, Aug 26, 2012.

1. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Most of us would've read the news already. Samsung is to pay ~1.05 billion dollars to Apple for infringement of it's patents, around 12 of them.

Here's one of those patents. The most ridiculous patent ever - D504,889.
    So, a patent has been granted to a rectangular device with rounded edges. Height of insanity. And upheld in a Court of Law in the US that anyone who copies such a design is wrong. Double whammy of poor patenting processes and upholding of such patents in the court of law.

Many courts internationally have struck down similar appeals by Apple claiming patent infringement.

All in all, this decision is a very regressive one. Apple has long standing dictatorial practices and this victory is just a battle won in it's larger war against Android. Effectively a war against Open Source software. If George Orwell were to write his legendary book 1984 again in 2012, he'd rename Big Brother as Apple.

I've been reading opinions on the net about this and one i found quite apt. That in the long run, Apple just might've created it's biggest enemy. The more Apple will try and block such attempts, more creative the people will become and it's very much possible that by such creativity, Apple itself will be upstaged as a so called "leader of innovation" in the near future.

Yes, i've always been rabidly Anti-Apple , so there will be a lot of bias in this post.:lol:

5 people like this.
  2. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Grande Punto 1.3
    I have been using a samsung mobile and a samsung tablet for the past more than 18 months. I have compared them with apple devices of friends and Samsung offers much more with android open source OS from Google along with variety. Samsung offrs so many phones that from Rs7500 till Rs20000, there is a fone for every 1000 increase in budget.
  3. royj

royj Esperto

There seems to be a lot of politics going on in American Patent system and they are biased in favor of American corporations who sponsors the senators. And don't be surprised when you learn that they are in a bigger mess than our politics.

Coming back to this Samsung - Apple fight, the Apple seems to be targeting consumers like me. They want me to buy an Apple product and there is no way I am going to do that as long as an alternative exists. So they are trying to remove those alternatives one by one. As of now I am very satisfied with my Samsung Galaxy S and BlackBerry. I have this soft corner for hard keypads and that explains the BlackBerry.
  4. gurjinder

Yes Yashik.

Thanks to Android, people from ALL walks of life had/have an opportunity to enjoy a true smartphone experience.

Not only Samsung, but all the members of the Open Handset Alliance and Steve Job's nemesis - Google will bear the brunt in the US market.

It is true to say that had there been no iphone , we might not have had the S3's and HTC One X's of today. BUT it is even more correct to say had there been no Android , there would've been no smartphone experience to the people who cannot spend 40k on some idevice ( phone, pad etc). Android Universalised the smartphone experience for everyone and not just some chosen few.

And it is no secret Apple has always kept hefty margins in their devices. Reportedly, there was/is a 58% margin in the sale price of the iphone4. The HTC One V has almost identical specs (in some aspects it is higher) as the iphone 4, yet costs only half as much. So what makes the iphone4 so expensive - just the name.

And ofcourse you can easily destroy the iPhone 4S in every department with the cheaper HTC One X / S3.

Compared to the transparency of the Open Source Android, the philosophy of Apple is simple - Keep the consumer in dark and feed them crap.

Supporting open source softwares is the only way to keep monopolists like Apple at bay.
    3 people like this.
  5. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Grande Punto 1.3
    I agree 100% that, had there been no Apple, there would have been no One X or the SIII.

But, I still feel that Windows mobiles were the first devices that put affordable smartphones into the hands of a common man with devices like hTC P3400i selling at close to Rs9000 (An android smartphone starts at Rs7500 like the Samsung Galaxy Y). But Microsoft made no attempt to improvise it's OS until Apple came and put Symbian S60 smartphone platform and Windows 6.X platform to the ground.

The file explorer and copy paste stuff in windows 6.0 was a lot better than android of today. It was much easier to use.

But there was little craze for Windows mobiles back then because Indians were mostly obsessed with Nokia and Symbian 60 (Just like Maruti Suzuki and Fuel economy). Symbian 60 was also a great platform in it's time and the variety of apps that I used in ngage QD (Symbian 60 v1) definitely made it a strong smartphone. From basic utilities, like Flash SMS, Blink SMS, to profile managers that automatically changed profiles depending upon the time of day. It offered almost everything one needs.
  6. gurjinder

Yup, cheapest Windows phone today is Nokia 610. 11k-12k? And Rs9990 gets you Micromax Canvas A100. Leaving the cheap image associated with Micromax aside, the A100 is a genuinely great phone for the price. Check it out.

Funny thing is, Microsoft stands to gain from this verdict, atleast in the US market. It has cross licensing deals with Apple and can legally use the very patents which have been declared out of bounds for Samsung and the rest of the 'droid group. And ofcourse, Nokia will be rubbing it's hands with glee as well, since it's into Windows now. Symbian couldn't do better than copy what Apple did and failed to innovate like Android.

But will this verdict be a boon or curse for Apple-Microsoft, time shall tell.
    1 person likes this.
  7. sungoa2010

I feel it is the time for a total change in patenting rules. In fact nothing could be patented. Let there be open competitions and it is the quality that decides the who will win. This world would have progressed 100% more if there were no patents. Let people take the advantage of time not space. Whoever discover first and implement it have the advantage. One shouldn't keep it in lockers blocking the growth. Looks to harsh but imagine a world of free operating system years ago. How it has changed the world.
  8. vikastwister

vikastwister Novizio

Leave the patent part but Apple is better than Samsung phones. Problem with samsung is they dont provide the upgrade to there old phones legally. And Android application on any samsung phone including galaxy s III and Note do not run glitch free or with precesion. But with Apple this is not the case. What ever the stuff run on iphone it runs flawlessly. Most important thing is once they provide upgrade, it is available for every generation of iphone so you do not feel out of market. Yes for old generation hardware limitation may be there and can not run the new OS to full extent. Another problem with iphone is they donot provide flash player support. But iphoen user says if they do not provide it than we do not need it. latest I got gaxay y duos for my self and galaxy Ace for my sister and S2 for my dad. All three phones have a very pathetic experience. Even I want to smash my galaxy duos on samsung head. My other 2nd generation iphone is way better than all three phones. iphone has much better user interface.
  9. gurjinder

I fully respect your personal opinion. But it can be a bit hazardous to generalise.

My experience with the iphone4's build quality has been a bit different. There are two iphone4's in my immediate and extended families and in both of these problems cropped up when they were dropped for just once or twice. Both had the silicone bumpers installed.

Compare that to the relatively poor man's phone HTC One V. The dealer, who has rented our shop, recieved a demo One V and it was part of the mandate from HTC that they must throw the phone around to show it's tough build. It has been intentionally thrown for several times and apart from chipped off coating from the aluminium body, it still functions the way it should. And it had no bumper installed.

I, for one, have always taken Apple's claim to being THE smartphone with a bag of salt.::O
  10. rishike007

rishike007 Esperto

Pune- Mumbai
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Yes, the build quality of iPhone compared to others is not so good. Also if the black glass is broken then you are gone as the service center will give you a big shock.... Rs. 11200/- for replacement. I have faced the same problem last week & then I said why? go to ebay & check... And what I found is that the back glass is for Rs1200/- & which I can replace at my home also.

Let it be.... As a s/w engineer, I am working with apple apps in my company. Here I found that why apple is the best? Because while developing any app for ios, a developer has to follow apple's norms of security which includes the users identity. If apple founds any issues which are violating the norms the developer cant put his app in app store. He will get only 3 attempts. But in androids, as a open source any one can add any app & which are not reviewed by any one. So there is a chance of data leakages more. Which are not in apple ones.

Apple is developing their s/w considering their h/w.
    But android is not like that. Because of that you can find lost of crash or battery leaks in android operating system.
    Just like microsofts.
    For running a app you don't know how many services running behind that application which is taking more battery.

There are lots of pros & cons of both apple & android devices.

If you want a sophisticated devices which you might use for 3-4 years then go to apple & if you want vfm then go for androids which you can change in a year or two. :)