1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Apple launched IPhone5 with iOS6. Update: iOS7 launched !

Discussion in 'Gadgets / Electronics / Laptops' started by BoseSuman, Sep 12, 2012.

1. varoon9999

varoon9999 Superiore

New Delhi,HP 48
    New Delhi,HP 48
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Exactly Amit Bro,No use paying hefty amount if you have an option to get it from some other country.Am trying my luck if someone can fetch me iPhone 5 from USA.
  2. Hurricane

Hurricane Amatore

Hyderabad.
    Although they launched it, Unlike iphone4, iphone 5 just doesn't have anything new to offer. The SG3 has raised the bar, and the question for the iphone5 is if it has what it takes ... and this time i'm betting not. This is what they should have launched last year instead of iphone 4s.

Simply put, Apple should stop worrying about other phones having rounded corners and should start releasing more than incremental upgrades :D

Just for laughs
    12 - 1.jpg
    1 person likes this.
  3. speedJet

speedJet Superiore

Gurgaon
    it would help if you explain a bit more on what iPhone 5 dies not offer? Also it would
    help if you can comment on the reliability of Samsung phones
  4. amargawade90

amargawade90 Superiore

Just for laughs:D

541986_507214735973782_1747613285_n.jpg
    2 people like this.
  5. dj.nish

dj.nish Superiore

Mumbai
    Unless you are a die hard Apple fanboy, or buy gadgets blindly without research/comparison, anyone with a fair bit of common sense can tell you that iPhone 5 does not have anything incremental to offer vis-a-vis iPhone 4, or for that matter, anything that competitors weren’t offering one year back.

To add insult to injury, Apple has launched nano-SIM and a new dock connector, putting both end consumers as well as accessory manufacturers in a tight spot.

But since they know the markets (particularly the low intelligence US and herd mentality Indian markets) well, iPhone 5 will be a huge hit. Most people probably don't know that better alternatives are available (esp. Android and WP) at 30-50% lesser price.

Do see this link as well - http://mashable.com/2012/09/12/iphone-5-compared/
  6. gurus

gurus Amatore

BLR/AZ
    Please refer to few threads about iphone here. I hope I can share macrumors link here. The research shows how much performance improvement in iphone 5 compared to 4.

Apple Announces Over Two Million iPhone 5 Pre-Orders in First Day of Sales - MacRumors Forums
    See Samsung's Sunday newspaper ad about the iPhone 5. Whats your thoughts? (merged) - MacRumors Forums
    iPhone 5 Benchmarks Appear in Geekbench Showing a Dual Core, 1GHz A6 CPU - MacRumors Forums

O.T:
    I'm having 5.3 years old Macbook and I never had any problem with it. I'm not a apple fan boy since I have had android phone before. but the quality and the ease of use in the apple products are really great. But they will suck you in thier eco system and control you with limited features :(
    Planning to buy ipod and iphone next year and explore the cloud options :)..still thinking though.
    For apple product fans, it is like Fiat only, once Apple always Apple
    1 person likes this.
  7. speedJet

speedJet Superiore

Gurgaon
    Neither am I a fanboy nor do I buy any gadget (or for that matter anything else) blindly. An end product is always all about how well it is integrated, how well it performs and how unique an experience it offers. It does not matter what competition provides, if it does not last well, perform well or gives an inadequate user experience. I do not go by hearsay or by herd mentality. Please do check out the below link posted by gurus

iPhone 5 Benchmarks Appear in Geekbench Showing a Dual Core, 1GHz A6 CPU - MacRumors Forums

This part has been over-emphasized on the net. Anyone who buys the iPhone5 shall get the normal connection cable which is good enough for almost all purposes. There are only a few people who would have invested in a dock in the past - for them the adaptor is available. Also, this is a small price to pay as compared to spending on HW upgrade. For example, are you aware that most Android phones have a dependency on the hardware which prevents them from upgrading the OS to the next level (1 level upgrade maybe supported but 2 levels are very rare)

Apple has been able to support OS upgrades which almost no other Android phone can provide. Aren't Android phone users left in the lurch because of this?

In my close family, there are atleast a couple of Samsungs which had manufacturing defects within first couple of months. It was a big hassle to get them repaired under warranty - replacement was refused. Also, colleagues who bought the same in office have a tough time with the battery. But I am not saying that all these Android phones are bad. HTC is good. In terms of reliability, Nokia phones are amongst most reliable phones. If I have to choose something other than iPhone it would probably be a Nokia with Windows 8.

My suggestion to you: borrow an iPhone for a couple of months and then you shall know why it is considered to be the best phone in the world!!!
    1 person likes this.
  8. dj.nish

dj.nish Superiore

Mumbai
    Your statements are completely misconstrued and un-researched. Are you aware that Android phones are based on open source OS? And because of that, there are at least 10+ customized ROMs available at any given time for any given device? And that these are almost always 1-2 levels above?

What you have mentioned is unfortunately what the media reports and people believe blindly. Manufacturers deliberately limit the number of software upgrades on models, so that they can create market for new handsets. Heck even Apple does that, so why single out Android here?

For example, I have a Motorola Defy+ which came with Gingerbread 2.3.6. However, I was easily able to install Ice Cream Sandwich (Android 4.0.4) and Jelly Bean (Android 4.1.1) on it, without any change in the hardware. There is absolutely no lag or issue whatsoever.

Statements like "Android phones have a dependency on the hardware which prevents them from upgrading the OS to the next level" should not be used as motherhood ones without knowing the reality.

Last I checked, iPhone 3GS users have been waiting since ages for Sep 19 for the iOS 6, right? In comparison, my friend's Android phone from the same year has already gone from Froyo (2.2) to Gingerbread (2.3) to ICS (4.0).

Support provided by Apple (single company, closed OS) is no match for Android support (several hundred developers, at least 10 companies manufacturing handsets, Open OS). The real beauty of Android is in customization and not being tied to a single company. AFAIK, iPhone users are always at the mercy of Apple - firstly by paying a bomb for specs which are available at 30-50% of the price, and then paying for stupid accessory and apps, and after all that, waiting for the company to release the next software upgrade.

Well firstly, I have used an iPhone so I don't need to know. Secondly, I suggest you to use an Android (whether borrowed or bought is your choice) and or head over to XDA Developers forum to understand what the *real* deal is.

Show me ONE Custom ROM for iPhone?

Androids may not be pretty looking/shiny/metallic devices. But the OS is what makes them worthy. I don't need to even get into numbers. In about 4 years of existence, they have already captured more than 60% of smartphone market share - where Apple was present much before. Also, daily Android activations are 1.3 million already. Do you think Apple ever achieved those numbers? Or if it did, was it so rapidly?

So a word like 'best' is highly subjective and if that does not make it fan-boy stuff, what does?

Going by that logic, you should not have bought a Fiat and that too a TJet. If I recall correctly, nobody in your friend circle/close family was in agreement to your choice and going by the general backlash and negative publicity for Fiat, this decision would have been met with stares!

Battery issue is common to Android and that's one area where Apple scores much higher. Build quality of iPhones is definitely better too. No doubt.

But you still did, right? Because you looked at the specs and hardware above marketing hype or word of mouth I guess?

Samsung ain't the only company out there. And even if you had bad experience with it, dont forget that the same company was chosen by Google for it's last two versions of the legendary Nexus phone. HTC, Motorola, Asus are equally reliable manufacturers. It all depends on how much you attribute to marketing.

Apple, by virtue of marketing budget, can control a lot of media and its PR is anyway legendary. The evil purpose of marketing *is to* sway the customer's mind in to purchasing the product.

But as an end user you need to separate the grain from the chaff!
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2012
    2 people like this.
  9. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Hi nish,
    loved reading your post !!!
    i have used most of the moto brands Motoslvr6(2007),Motoslvr9(2007) and finally Motorockr EM30(2008/09) and then stopped with Moto as it was not supporting downloading of applications easily as compared to nokia,hence switched to Nokia 5800 Express Music... and now entered into android phones so started with low budget smart phone and i really liked this piece Karbonn A18( may be i was used to Express Music 5800)
    i'm new to android phones,would you please explain me,can we easily upgrade the OS versions to any mobiles ?

Here are some system details about Karbonn A18,i want to know apart from the build of handset,camera quality what varies in the techie features related to hardware when compared with samsung or moto...and yes i also mean here the low budget smart phone :) if i want to upgrade to Jelly bean can it be easily done without any hassle.

Android version:- 4.0.3
    Baseband version:- MODEM_13
    Kernel version:-3.0.13
    Build number:- TUNA-S04A_UTL_L17EN_211_120806
  10. BoseSuman

BoseSuman Superiore

Midnapur (W.B) & Hyderabad (A.P) India.
    Linea 1.3
    Varoon, don't go with locked one if you want to use worldwide. Locked phone will be given to you with service provider. You have to provide your credit history in USA & SSN number. For your friends brother it will be problem.

He need to buy with his name and then he need to gift you the same. Unlocked phone don't have this checking, with Hard cash you can buy it and use it anywhere in the world.
    So, don't go with locked one. Please wait till it will launch in India, check how service provider will provide Nano Sim. Don't know why apple provided this type of Sim in IP5.
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2012