1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Apollo Aceler's tread Direction during fitment

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by Prash1407, Jan 26, 2013.

1. Prash1407

Prash1407 Amatore

Bangalore
    I am awaiting the delivery of my GP 90HP and I found the fitment of the tires confusing. I have Apollo Acelere 195/60 R15. As per the tread pattern, the right side tires are perfect but the left ones are wrong. I came to this conclusion based on the direction of water and air release during running.

When the tire is rotating, the tread pattern on the right side throws the water away and towards the driver but the left side tires, do the opposite. The water is thrown away from the driver which I think is not the right way. I am attaching a view of the tire which would make my point better understood. I have requested for a technical clarification from Apollo tire team and am waiting for a response. Can any experts provide more clarity on this or am I missing something technically.

- - - Merged Post - - -

MODS: I could not find a thread for this. Please merge with the appropriate thread

Tread pattern.jpg
  2. vj_v1

vj_v1 Superiore

Hyderabad
    Well technically speaking you might be correct to a certain extend. There are lots of discussions and people breaking their heads on several forums discussing this topic.

For instance check out the MRF ZLO thread on the other forum, there is an exhaustive discussion about the thread pattern and the flow of water on each side of the vehicle but no conclusions, IIRC, i read there about people contacting MRF about it as well.

Coming to the Accelere, its a bidirectional tyre and can be installed in any direction keeping the thread pattern discussion aside. Now, there are thousands of people using this tyre in all kinds of conditions. Im the best example, having used it for 45K kms and have driven it in all kinds of conditions at insane speeds. And i can tell you these are good tyres apart from the amount of road noise they generate.

They do aquaplane in heavy water but my understanding is that every tyre (even unidirectional ones) does aquaplane at highspeeds in heavy rains. IMO, they may not be perfect for every situation but are very good all rounds at their price point.

Check the MRF ZLO, even those are correctly designed only for the right side of the vehicle and looking at the thread pattern you will realise that it pushes more water to the center of the tyre than a accelere, but there seem to be several good reviews about them everywhere on the internet.

Infact, after getting to know about all the water flow and thread pattern stuff, i was surpised that the threads on the Stock front tyre on my CBZ extreme (MRF) are designed to allow the water flow inwards. And surprisingly the tyre is unidirectional with an arrow clearly marked indicating the direction of running. After seeing this, i thought to myself, the manufacturer's are experts in their field and people designing these would be very well aware of all the circumstances.

Do update when you hear back from Apollo.

VJ
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2013
  3. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    They are bi-directional tyres. Don't give it any thought. The main thing is the tyre should remove water - in which direction it does that is not really relevant. But that's just my opinion. :)

Cheers.
  4. speedJet

speedJet Superiore

Gurgaon
    I am not sure about the Appollo Accelere but the Michelin Primacy cannot be fiitted inside-out

Ok, let me explain - the Primacy LC has to be fitted properly on the alloy/rim - a proper fitted tyre would show "OUTSIDE" written on it when installed on the car (outside part should be on the outer side of rim/alloy). Now, this outside would always show no matter where the tyre is installed (front/rear/right/left) in the car. However, if this OUTSIDE part of the tyre is fitted on the inner side of the rim then the water would be thrown in the opposite direction.

You can check if the Appollo Accelere has outside written on it. If it is written then you can confirm for which alloy the tyre is fitted in the opposite manner
  5. Phew

Phew Esperto

New Delhi/Mohali
    FASS
    Grande Punto 1.3
    A few ways to check will be

1. Rotation marked on the sidewall.
    2. Outside/side facing out mentioned on the sidewall.
    3. The engraved letters on the outside sidewall are thicker as compared to inside sidewall (told by a random tyre dealer).

Waheguru Waheguru
  6. One thing I failed to understand is how you tesyed all this water flowing to different sides without getting your car delivered? Or am I missing something here?$-?

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2