1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Apollo acelere tyre problem

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by pv_krish, Sep 6, 2014.

1. pv_krish

pv_krish Regolare

Chennai
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Hi All,

I have a punto sport and it came with apollo acelere.

I had just been to B'lore from Chennai. When I reached B'lore, I had a puncture on the left rear and while fixing it, it was found that the tyre had a damage in the sidewall apart from the puncture on the surface. Fixed both the puncture using the normal way for tubeless tyre and then came back. Until now the fix in the sidewall is holding.

When I came back to Chennai, I took the car to office. While taking the car from office in the evening, the rear right was punctured. Changed to the spare wheel and drove home.

I had to visit the service station for steering mounted controls problem. I asked them to fix the puncture and it was again found that there was damage in the sidewall and that was the only puncture. The guys told me to raise a complaint with apollo and the guy came to check the tyre.

As usual, they say its not a manufacturing defect. How can the sidewall of the tyre be so flimsy? Is this what the quality of apollo acelere tyres are? Am really annoyed and since the damage is in the sidewall, I can't be confident on how long the fix will hold. I might have to change the tyres and it would be all four.

I also saw the reviews for apollo tyres and they have been many such sidewalls damage complaints and inaction by apollo.

I had a previous car with good year GPS2 and they lasted for 44K kms. There would be odd punctures, but sidewall damage never happened.

I would strongly ask guys to be cautious from taking apollo, though others may have different opinions.

Am now thinking about changing to Bridgestone or Michelin.
  2. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Hi, unfortunate that you had to face a sidewall puncture. These things rarely, if ever, can be patched up.

In my view, under the right circumstances any tyre can face this type of damage. It has got nothing to do with it being Acelere or Michelin etc. Aceleres are really tough tires, as per my experience.

If rough and tough tires are what you're looking at then I don't think Michelin is your tire. They are generally biased towards a softer tire for a more comfortable ride. Having said all that, choose any tire and enjoy the drive. These punctures will happen whenever they are supposed to happen. It's written on our forehead. Don't analyse too much :)

Cheers
    mo1 and ramjn like this.
  3. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Sidewall damages happen largely due to nasty pot holes, where the tyres suffer damage. Sometimes they can even appear later for a bump they suffered earlier, but gone unnoticed while driving.

Since you are planning new tyre you might want to go for maximum load rating of a particular tyre in a given profile, meaning extra rated capacity of the tyre as an extra measure. However, this will offer marginal better protection and there is nothing like 100% surety about the sidewalls holding well.
    mangeshtendulkar and Ganges like this.
  4. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Softside walls are always good on bad roads than hard side wall.During my initial days of punto ownership with stock GT3( now I don't even hear) had a side wall cut due to bad roads.
  5. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Puncture is very much incidental. Can happen to any tyre.

With my experience with Acelere, it is one awesome tyre according to me. Out of 68,000 kms in my linea, more than 65,000 kms were driven with the Acelere. And I have taken my car to all sorts of terrains with almost all hill stations in South India.
  6. pv_krish

pv_krish Regolare

Chennai
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Thanks for your views guys.

The problem is both the rear tires are damaged and that is avoiding me from planning any trip.

@gurjinder, how can the sidewall be patched? Is it like the way they fix the normal puncture? Will they hold well as the sidewalls take the maximum impact while travelling.
  7. pv_krish

pv_krish Regolare

Chennai
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    After fixing, I do not want the fixed part to break while travelling.

If I go in for a change, what are the better options I have?
  8. pv_krish

pv_krish Regolare

Chennai
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Guys, can anyone tell me how well the fix in the tyre sidewall would hold and how well they could be patched?
  9. 5u3zEr0

5u3zEr0 Regolare

Madras
    Linea T-Jet
    Hi. Many years ago I had a sidewall tyre puncture in one of my Dunlop's (55 profile tyre) which were on my Palio and the only way I could use that tyre was by using a tube. The puncture was caused by a metallic object, which was immediately visible on the tyre. I went to two or three places to try to fix this tyre but they all refused as the fix would not hold. So getting a sidewall fixed is a doubt, your alternative would be to use it with a tube for a short period. But there would still be some risk in this.

Depending on the condition of the front tyres you could decide whether to change all four or just the two in the rear.
  10. hocuspocus

hocuspocus Novizio

Gurgaon, Haryana
    Well, I had a bad experience with Apollo accelere too. I had got 13 inches apollo accelere on my indica(V2) around 4 years back. I had replaced only two and the rest two were michelin which were due to replacement.

Suddenly I noticed that the tyres were loosing air at frequent intervals, got them checked. Discovered that apollo's had developed micro holes, very small in size all around the tires, around 15-20 micro-holes leaking air. Took them to the dealership from where I purchased the rubber, he called the warranty guy from company. His argument was that i've driven the car over rubble or stones. Even though I was staying in gurgaon where roads were well developed, I asked him if the car was being driven only over two wheels and not four. Because by his logic, if the car is being driven over rubbles and stones, then other two tires(michelin) should have developed micro-holes too specially when michelin's are out of life and due for replacement !! But that's not the case clearly.

However, he refused to budge from his one line and declined a manufacturing defect.

Moral of the story: Company warranty on the tires is for the namesake and just an eyewash.
    --- Double Post Merged, Sep 22, 2014 ---
    The only way to use a side wall damaged tire is to put a large piece of hard rubber on the cut/damaged section from the inside and then put a tube inside the tire to continue using it. That means, it will no longer be tubeless however you can still continue to use it for it's worth.
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2014