1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Anything and everything about our PETS!!!

Discussion in 'Hangout' started by wolverine_arnab, Sep 9, 2012.

1. That means dog is considering himself as alfa.
    2 people like this.
  2. Naughty

Naughty Superiore

Ahmedabad
    Not possible boss...

This is a Rottie...
    Have children at home, one of them is just 4 months old...
    Moreover he is trained to attack and have made him a guard dog professionally(Training is still on)...
    He has already broke thick metal chain and attacked twice (one ill dressed kabaadi wala & another one was a courier guy - none were majorly hurt as Leo was controlled by us by then)

I understand that He still is a playful puppy... but is 45-47 Kg. Heavy... his plays also can hurt children...

So no ways I can let him open in the house...

Though, there is an out house kind of place for him... and that area is fenced - Approx 1000 sq.ft.... We keep him free there sometime in day... moreover he is free all night long in all area for doing his duty...

Neel
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2013
    2 people like this.
  3. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    If you yourself are not sure about the dog's intentions, how can he be a guard dog for your family? Forgive me if I sound offensive, but I'm not.

I'm an old school guy. I never trust any "dog trainer" apart from what the dog learns from the family. We have never trained any of our dogs and little children have wrestled with them, punch them and what not. My niece regularly used to kick the pitbull in the stomach as a sort of sport and he wouldn't move a muscle.

It's all about how well YOU (the owner/master/whatever) understand the dog's nature and respect him. No trainer can give a magic potion to compensate the owner's lack of understanding of the dog's nature and personality. Harsh but true.

Cheers.

P.S. The more you chain him, the more poisonous he will become.
    1 person likes this.
  4. Surya

Surya Superiore

Namma Bengaluru
    From my experience of dogs since my childhood is they are not ferocious and harming and there are just like human beings if we show love and affection to them they will also show love and affection to us just like a family member..
  5. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Agree with Gurjinder and Surya here. I do not even own leashes for my dogs and they have the freedom to go to any room in the house. But they still obey me. When I want my GSD to go out to the balcony, I have to lower my voice and sternly say "Go out". I guess she understands that as a growl and obeys me. My Lab goes a step further than that. I just have to point the finger to the door. No command required for him. The BC is still learning, but is learning really fast.

Dogs can learn just like a child and the best way is to lead by example. They believe you are the alfa and will do whatever it takes to please you. You just have to establish your position as the alfa, thats it.

Rajan
  6. Rottie's are kniw to be aggressive but by keeping it leashed dog does get more agressive and tempermental.
    I know a tuner who has a 1 year old rottie along with his 3 month old baby boy,only thing he does when he return bac home,he makes sure he talks to Rottie first so that he doesn't get jealousy on the baby.
    For whole day dog is free only a lady to listen to.
  7. Parantap Chatterjee

Parantap Chatterjee Regolare

Gurgaon
    Gurgaon
    Linea T-Jet
    Is that really a good thing though ? As much as I may love dogs , at the end of the day they are pets and below humans in the overall scheme of things. If my dog gets jealous if I talk to my baby first - something needs fixing :). They should know their place in the family and I don't think any of them would have a problem being "ranked" below the family's baby - if it is taught that properly of course.
  8. Naughty

Naughty Superiore

Ahmedabad
    Hold On... Hold On Guys...

First thing... I am no Master in training dogs... moreover I have no experience also in training dogs as this is our First dog... So less trained or trained by someone else is better than wrongly trained Rottie in long run... Probably, the dogs trained by owners/masters themselves are better as per what you are saying, But Its not possible for me as I already mentioned. I practice everyday with Leo the same as trainer taught him and the way he taught him as I attend all the classes when they train Leo. I have an intrest but not the skill.

Secondly... This is my dog living at my in law's place... As I live in Apartment and was difficult for me to keep him in my apartment, even neighbors expressed their objection to my dad politely. No ways I could let go Leo.
    At the same time My in laws live in a huge bunglow and they need safety big time and protection as well. So I made Leo to live at their house. Their house is on the way to my house from my office.
    I visit him everyday and spend 1-2 hr. only with him.
    Now they all are not as dog lover as I am at the same time They also dont hate him.

Moreover as we all know... Rottie is a one master dog. He does not obey anyone and everyone at the home unlike Lab and GSD ...etc.
    Leo also a typical Rottie obeys only me and none else. He definitely will not hurt the family members but when he sees and doubts a trespasser or an intruder, none can control him except me.

I also love to have him free and unchained. That is why in day time he can freely play in the fenced backyard of about 1000+ sq.ft which is large enough space for him to play around. But not possible in the house inside.

Due to many reasons and situations, its not possible guys to have him always unchained and free.

Neel
    2 people like this.
  9. Many dogs exhibit this kind of behavior, reason is not hierarchy but, fear of loosing attention from his/her master to new comer.
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2013
  10. tps11

tps11 Amatore

Dehradun
    Hi All,
    I just wanted to share my experience with you all. I am a big dog lover and I also found the same reciprocated by my canine fellows. I had two pets at diffrent time of my life and both of them died untimely. One licked poison and another was bitten by a bigger dog from neighbourhood.
    My first one was Pormerian and second was a cross between Tibetan Terrier and Lhasa Apso. Got so attached with them during their short stay with us that now I don't plan to keep any dog. Strays are welcome for occassional treat of Chicken, bbicuits and milk.
    Will like to share their stories with you all if permitted.
    Regards
    Tushar