1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Anything and everything about our PETS!!!

Discussion in 'Hangout' started by wolverine_arnab, Sep 9, 2012.

1. N Kiran

N Kiran Staff Member Janitor

Hyderabad
    My Golder Retriever, that had earlier was also named Candy :D
  2. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    GSD's are wise creatures, in general.

When we brought the PitBull home, the GSD was already 7 years old and he accepted him as his young one really fast. Infact, he took the role of his protector and went so far as to attack other dogs whom he felt could harm the baby Pitbull, while out on a stroll. Fatherly instinct - for sure.

A few suggestions I would give is :

- Do not let the curiosity of the GSD reach sky high by deliberately hiding the pup from him. I know this runs counter to most suggestions but I found it worked. When i brought a stray dog pup at home, i just told the PitBull he is your new friend and you two get to know each other. He smelled the pup and within minutes they were fine. You got to know your dog inside out to attempt this.

- Be close to the border collie or better keep it in your lap and call the GSD to "check" her out. Once they smell each other, let her go and check each other out.

- Most important - Pay even MORE attention to your GSD once the collie is home. Do not let him get jealous in any scenario, atleast for the initial couple of months. Dogs love their owners fiercely and do not like sharing owners with other dogs.

The key is - how well you know the GSD. I was confident enough to introduce a pup to my Pitbull ( they don't like other dogs) without worrying a bit. GSD's are much more mellow dogs compared to Pits. So it'll be fine.

Since the two are of opposite sex, keep a keen eye on them in the future. You don't want border collie - GSD mix puppies roaming around the house, do you. :)

Cheers.
    1 person likes this.
  3. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Thanks Gurjinder. Both are female. My Lab is male :D

However, the GSD is already sterilized and so will the BC be when she is ready. I am not a professional breeder, so breeding is out of question :D. I am a bit worried, as the GSD accepted Arnab's Pug very easily, but his Husky was a different story altogether. Given that the BC is also 6 months old and not a small pup adds to my anxiety.

This BC was bought by a 71 year old gentleman, who could not take care of her and she has remained leashed all of her short life so far. When I was offered the opportunity to adopt her, I jumped at the chance. The poor thing must already be traumatized and I do not want to add to her misery. Hoping that all will be well.

Rajan
  4. gurjinder

Punjab
    It saddens me to no end when people keep their pets on leash all the time. Does nothing good ; only harm - mentally & physically. To keep a pup leashed is even worse - the bone structure cannot develop as it should.

Thank you for adopting the BC. :)

They'll be fine.
  5. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Totally agree with the leash bit. I don't even own a leash for my dogs. They just wear a collar - woven nylon. I felt leather is too rough. I live outside the city, with lots of open space around the house, so that the dogs have a lot of space to run around. I commute 20 kms one way to work, just for this luxury of open space. i only hope that the BC will be comfortable and happy here.

Reading up on how to train her not to herd the cattle that are grazing around :D. From what I have read so far, that seems impossible

Rajan
  6. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Hello everyone - meet Candy; Candy - meet everyone :D

WP_000447.jpg

WP_000448.jpg

Rajan
    9 people like this.
  7. N Kiran

N Kiran Staff Member Janitor

Hyderabad
    Lovely.

Sorry for the OT, but is that Arnab's 90 HP parked outside?
  8. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    You have very sharp eyes Kiran. It indeed is Arnab's Punto. He lives in the house across the street from mine :D

Rajan
  9. gurjinder

Punjab
    Hello Candy,

You are going to be well loved in your new home. :)

She is very emaciated though. I'm sure she'll be healthy in a month.
    1 person likes this.
  10. ashish.r.shinde@gmail.com

ashish.r.shinde@gmail.com Amatore

Vadodara , Nashik
    Vadodara , Nashik
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Hi Gurjinder , Its really a good observation of you on your pet , Even i have German shepherd at home ,
    and almost 12 years old , but believe me you will hardly feel that he is 12 years after looking at him , He
    is the same energenitc , active and jolly the way he was in his young age...

I have been with dogs right from my childhood, as all of family loves dogs ... This german sheperd is my 7th
    dog in my lifetime till date , and one of the best I had , before him I had Pomerian, stray dogs , doberman...
    Can tell you if you really want to enjoy ur time with dog , have atleast one pomerian along with ur existing pet
    they will make u laugh , and happy at given point of time ...

Doberman are really a very alert dogs and less playfull compared to pormerians ... but I had him with for just 4 years
    as he died long back..

German shepherd is one of the best breed to have for a family... he looks royal , he is one the best companion for
    childrens back home , and one of the best guard dog any one can have for their family... I am really one of the luckiest
    person to have him in my family ... And his name is SHERU....
    Normal info about german shepherds is that you should be able to give a lot attention towards them , you should
    make sure that he feels he is a part of your family.. Because one of friend had a german shepherd and hardly any one
    attended him once he was grown old .... He became so furious that even my friend was afraid of touching him or even getting
    close to him...

Friends have dogs as your companion and give them time ... they need just your time and am sure they will make your
    life worth to live....

My Earlier Dogs
    1) Pomerian - Timmy
    2)Stray Dog - Moti
    3) Pomerian - Rocky
    4) Pomerian - Micky (Miss him very much ... the most intelligent dog i had)
    5) Pomerian - Mowgli
    6) Doberman - Churu
    7) German Sheperd - SHERU... Love him a lot......
    2 people like this.