1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Anything and everything about our PETS!!!

Discussion in 'Hangout' started by wolverine_arnab, Sep 9, 2012.

1. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Meat - definitely. Chicken or beef. No big bones. Chicken liver. Milk. Vitamin supplements. Though the size and growth of the GR varies hugely within the breed itself, a well fed and thorough bred 6 month old GR, should look like this:

sasha 271.jpg

Having said that, if you are only taking care of her for your friend, please follow the diet recommended by your friend. Dogs don't adapt to diet changes very quickly and have a tendency to over eat and suffer from poor digestion.

Rajan
    1 person likes this.
  2. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    The poor thing doesn't look like 6 months :(

6 months and just cerelac and boiled eggs is pretty much keeping her on a fast. Labs and GSD's have almost similar rates of growth and at 6 months, our GSD was pretty much full size - almost what he remained for the rest of his life.

I'm not a big fan of meat, but boiled chicken + soup ( limited quantities) , boiled soya nuggets, Pedigree (appropriate age pack), boiled eggs even simple boiled rice are a must at her age. Throw that Cerelac away. At this age , she should eat like a maniac. Do not let bones enter her diet. Milk - yes lukewarm, nothing to be added.

Does she stay home alone while your friend is at office?
    1 person likes this.
  3. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    ^^ I agree with everything you have stated, Gurjinder, excepting "I'm not a big fan of meat" bit. You may not be, but the dog is. Let us not forget that the dog is genetically a carnivore :D

Rajan
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2013
  4. gurjinder

Punjab
    Yes Rajan. Agree with ya.

The three so called dogs that have been at our home ( Doberman, GSD and now a Pit Bull ) all have had a dislike towards meat - boiled, cooked you name it. I don't know why! The Pittie even rejects Pedigree meat flavour :rolleyes:

Maybe they echoed my sentiments as I don't like meat either.:evilsmile
  5. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    ^^ Also true. The dogs have been so much genetically modified, in the name of creating breeds, that they have lost touch with their roots. Given their inherent nature of trying to please the master, they will go to any extant to meet that requirement. As a matter of fact, both my GSD and my LAB enjoy eating a carrot :D. We do feed them meat daily.

I wish I could one day adopt a wolf. That would be the closest I can get to know a dog in his true form :D

Rajan
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2013
  6. gurjinder

Punjab
    Don't get me started on fruits LOL. The GSD , during his later years, LIVED on fruit and salad. He would act like a petulant child when given normal food and would light up like a cracker when given fruit and salad, say Cucumber, Carrot, Radish anything. He would eat Watermelon and not touch the seeds. Mango was his biggest weakness, he would take the whole piece, sit in the lawn and enjoy it leisurely.

Ah, I miss him. :(
    1 person likes this.
  7. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    ^^ Sorry buddy. Did not mean to make you emotional. I know how hard it is to lose a pet. I have lost quite a few myself and have learnt that the best way to cope is to get another one. One has to come to terms with the fact that their life expectancy is much shorter than ours, sadly :(

Rajan
  8. Ah ! My Pom's favorite food was carrots, although how much he could digest it was a question, he would refuse food if we didn't give him a carrot.
    Some carrots used to be sweet, that was acceptable to him but some doesn't taste as good sweet one, was quickly rejected :)

My self and my wife miss him too but, it will take at least 4-5 years before we can have a another pet as my wife is going to do her Phd, may not be in bangalore itself.
  9. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    One more addition to the family. We are adopting a 6 month old border collie and she is coming home tomorrow. We have decided to call her Candy. Any tips on how to get my GSD to accept her are most welcome.

Will post pictures, once she comes home. Looking forward to training another dog :D, especially a border collie, considered to be the most intelligent of them all.

Rajan
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2013
    3 people like this.
  10. SoumenPaul

SoumenPaul Regolare

Bangalore
    May be a little odd example compare to Big Pets, but can't help sharing it.
    I had a pet rabbit years ago, and that naughty little one used to relish Chicken and Fish items !!!!
    I hardly used to give that to him, but he will jump and stand on his rear legs whenever he had a slightest smell of the dishes ....ha ha ha
    His name was GABLU, I still miss him very much.
    1 person likes this.