1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Anyone thinking about the RE Continental GT?

Discussion in 'Non FIAT Cars and two wheelers' started by gurjinder, Nov 1, 2013.

1. Akshay4384

Akshay4384 Superiore

Avenger wont hold a candle against the Classic and TB 500 as well.
    I was talking of the 250CC machines,CBR 250 and the likes.
    1 person likes this.
  2. Cinju

Cinju Esperto

Trivandrum
    The GT should be a better handling machine than the clasics & TBs right ? Is it using the same engine as in the 500 or the torque /bhp figures are slightly different ? A td report is highly recommended from the RE guys here.
  3. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    The biggest improvements are the chassis and suspension.

The frame is an inspiration from the Norton Featherbed frame, implemented by the UK team. The engine now rests inside the chassis rather than being a part of the chassis as it was earlier. From initial driving reports, everyone is saying that it is the best handling Enfield ever. The double downtube frame is a proven design. Yamaha took the same basic concept from the Norton and created the greatest handling bike of the 1970's (in all categories) - The RD350 :)

The engine is the UCE 500 unit, now bored out to 535cc's.

I'm quite eager to take the bike for a spin. Will see if there are demo bikes in Chandigarh or when they will arrive.
    2 people like this.
  4. Akshay4384

Akshay4384 Superiore

I will take her for a spin tommorow.
    And Its not a Twin spark like earlier UCE's.
    I am already dreaming about the 535 Block on my CL500 :D
  5. gurjinder

Punjab
    Update : Manmohan has demo bike already :) Will go for a look-see today. What are your timings Akshay? Let's meet up at Manmohan.
  6. Akshay4384

Akshay4384 Superiore

I work from 11am-8PM in IT park,and i will be checking out the Continental GT tommorow morning at Royal Motors Ambala,as that is where i commute from daily.

If you plan to come around IT park sometime,just give me a shout :)
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  7. It sounded good ,it looked like carburetor rather than EFI.
  8. gurjinder

Punjab
    Ok so I visited the dealer and all they had was a display bike. No test drives. Final price : 1,87,500 excluding registration.

I had suspected that the 535 would have the O2 sensor but unfortunately RE have left the Indian market in lurch again. There is none. We get the same old open loop fueling. Think of it as an electronic carburetor with no feedback mechanism and no mechanism to tweak settings as per weather / altitude etc. So, that's a bummer in my book. But most users won't bother about this aspect. The sales guy started it up and I gave it tiny throttle inputs and it shut down. Oh well....:rolleyes: It sounded nice at idle, though.

I had gone there expecting to be blown away by the build quality of the bike. But it's okay. Nothing extraordinary. As a flagship, it didn't really come across as having a stunning build. But it is one aspect which time will tell and no short review can put a judgement on it. The seating position is world's apart from any Enfield. You have to recline forward a fair bit.

That's all I guess. The dealer has promised a TD in 10-15 days. So let's see how that goes. The sales guys are as I expected - Complacent and not giving a damn. They know their bikes will sell in any case.

Here is the customary "I sat on it" pic :evilsmile
    unnamed.jpg

EDIT - Deliveries are slated to begin in January at the earliest. Expect a 2 month minimum period. Warranty period is only a shocking 1 year/9000km.
    11 people like this.
  9. Akshay4384

Akshay4384 Superiore

Took the baby out for a spin today :)
    What hits you first,is that the riding posture is unlike any other RE till date,and the engine sounds pretty refined by UCE standards without any mechanical clinking drama,the thump is muted and mellow,just the way i would have wanted it to be.Out on the road,it does feel faster than the CL500 but not by a big margin,and it would never go out of sight of a CL500 on a open road,on the twisties;may be.The vibes are there,but if compared to existing RE line up,they are almost non existent.Also a special note for the Pirelli Sport Demons,they stick to the road like a leech and make the CGT feel surefooted.

602301_429652097135257_2068201918_n.jpg
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2013
    6 people like this.
  10. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    I have not ridden a bike after I sold my Avenger back in 2008 and have not kept myself updated in motorcycle technologies, but the fuel tank design on this bike looks dangerous, as it could crush and seriously injure your private parts in case of even a minor frontal collision at moderate speeds.

Would that be a justified apprehension, or is there something I am missing here?

Rajan
    2 people like this.