1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Anyone thinking about the RE Continental GT?

Discussion in 'Non FIAT Cars and two wheelers' started by gurjinder, Nov 1, 2013.

1. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    So, is anyone thinking of getting this bad boy? Rumored to be ~2.2 lakh ex-showroom.

RE+Cont+GT+550.jpg
    4 people like this.
  2. DRIV3R

DRIV3R Esperto

Gurji, I remember reading somewhere that it is priced around 5L. I guess this 5L speculated figure was achieved by converting UK pounds to rupees, as it's already launched there.
  3. gurjinder

Punjab
    Yes, that can distort the figure. As when it comes to RE's, we get the best deals, pricewise. The UK/US pay shipping + duties etc.

Asking even 2.2 for a Royal Enfield takes a LOT of courage I'd say, forget 5 lakh.

Will try and TD when the bikes hit the dealers here. Very interested to see the level of workmanship, especially from the new factory.

This seems to be the updated photo:

90688d1367500549-re-thunderbird-500cc-re-cafe-racer-royal-enfield-continental-gt-cafe-racer.jpg
    1 person likes this.
  4. Akshay4384

Akshay4384 Superiore

It actually just looks like a bad boy,on the road it will get smoked by motorcycles,less than half of its cubic capacity.
    After the CL500,i have decided,no more RE's for me.As for me; i am dreaming of a Duke 390 Adventure right now.:)
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  5. gurjinder

Punjab
    Absolutely. If anyone has any intentions of smoking other bikes, this is not the bike to get. This is for the laid back pseudo-racer, interested more in looks than outright performance.
    3 people like this.
  6. gurjinder

Punjab
    Finally launched in India. Competitive pricing if I must say. 2.05 lakh onroad in Delhi, 2.15 Mumbai and "below" 2 lakh in Punjab onroad.

The 535cc UCE gets the O2 sensor, from what I can see in the pics.

Royal-Enfield-Continental-Yellow-GT-42.jpg
    2 people like this.
  7. My experience is diffrent,there was GT testing happeing on mysore road. As ussual an Avanger guy was trying to over take and i was behind.

Both would slow down a bit in curves but the way GT was accelerated to 130-135 kmph was unmatched by Avanger.
    May be in pure city driving thise small bikes can be fast but on highway with a capable driver they can deliver.
    1 person likes this.
  8. gurjinder

Punjab
    Avenger wouldn't be the real competitor Sat. Put a Duke 390 side by side with the Conti GT and see how the Duke will embarass the GT.

But like I said before, Conti GT is for the retro cafe racer crowd. Who want more show than go. For people like me who rarely cross 50-60kmph and just want the bike to look & feel good. :p
  9. Even Duke 200 can match or out perform, these dukes touch 9000 RPM.what is max RPM new UCE bullets can reach before loosing steam?
  10. gurjinder

Punjab
    Peak power is rated at 5100rpm. So that should be it. But as with all Enfields, it's happy zone will be in the mid range. Say somewhere between 2000-4000rpm. 5100 rpm might rattle the teeth. :D