1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Anyone interested to test AIR...

Discussion in 'Engine and Drivetrain' started by drifter, Nov 16, 2010.

1. drifter

drifter Regolare

London/Mumbai
    for Punto 1.2. Punto/Linea 1.4 and Linea T-Jet in or near Mumbai?
  2. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    drifter, what is AIR and its impact?
    Sorry for asking basic question.
  3. drifter

drifter Regolare

London/Mumbai
    AIR is Air Intake Revision.

Unfortunately the 1.3 MJet one is not ready yet.

The impact on the Punto 1.2 is that you can drive it up a slight incline in 5th gear at 900rpm and slowly gain speed.

All the above mentioned are tried and tested in Europe and have proven for years to work. But I want to do the testing in India again that the people can see first hand that it works as well as the fact that it has been tested under Indian conditions. Technically it shouldn't make a difference, but I am srtill wanting to give people confidence in the quality of the product and not just from hear say.
  4. nav75

nav75 Amatore

Pune
    Why you have to ask this question? Ofcouse I'm ready. Just tell when and where. ::T
  5. infernal

infernal

Gurgaon
    Hey drifter,

It'd be really helpful if you could explain about AIR in a little more detail. What gains/improvement are expected? Also, is it different from aftermarket air filters/CAI, etc.?

Cheers
  6. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Is Cold air intake (CAI) anyway related to AIR?
  7. amolmane

amolmane Guest

Drifter is saying about Modified Air Inbtake

I think Cold Ait intake will not helpfull so much. Because to decrease Air temp. Intercooler is there.
  8. drifter

drifter Regolare

London/Mumbai
    A CAI and a AIR cna be the same under certain circumstances. A properly designed AIR (air intake revision) does have much more of an impact on the performance side than a CAI.

AIR design has to be split in two groups, which is naturally aspirated and force induced.

In both you try to maximise air flow, rduce turbulences and try to find ways to get the air in as cold as possible.

However, trying to get in just the coldest air possible is not the most important criteria. Of course colder air is denser than warmer air, but the presence of cold air des not guarantee sufficient air in the combustion chamber to maximise performance. In order to keep the volumetric efficiency (the amount of combustion chamber filling) as high as possible it is necessary to cramp as much air into the combustion chamber.

Many factors determine this. In a normally aspirated design the aim is to get the balance between gas speed and inertia correct (which will always be some sort of a compromise due to varying rpm). This is engine specific. When this balance is right it will lead to an increase of inlet port pressure (because of the pulsing action of the valves) and in due course the cylinder filling. Otherwise it is important to make sure that as little turbulence factors are created or the exisitng ones removed on the way to the combustion chamber.The same goe for the filter mouth and filter throat. Changes in flow direction should be as little as possible (virtually impossible to get perfect). Last but not least on the flow characteristics is to make sure that due to the chassis design inflicted turbulences the filter throat area is not starved with increasing vehicle speed. On the other hand you might find areas that have with increasing speed high pressure zones that might be useful.

In turbo applications the AIR design differs in so far that it is best to keep the intake as short as possible.

Of course it is desirable to find the coldest spot possible with the highest ambient pressure on the car when moving. But this will always be a compromise and often the seemingly perfect CAI pick up point is the least usable.

Also it is worth noting that adding cold air feeds might starve the otherwise good location of the entry point.

Now you might understand where I got my grey hair from.

Obviously I don't need to repeat what I wrote above to answer part of your question.

The gains from the AIRs I design give in normally aspirated cars usually about 5 to 12% peak power improvement, but the 12% are the rarer occasion, depending on how well the factory did in the first place.

Torque deliver improves usually better than this. The lower end torque can be anything up to 30%.

Aftermarket filters bolted straight on the throttle body usually lose a lot of torque.

Generally with properly designed AIRs you can drive and car in higher gears at lower rpm. will not have to shift down as early if at all on hills and have improved acceleration with often higher top speed.

On turbo Diesels the spooling up of the turbo is much quicker, which results in much better low end torque and acceleration figures.

On the T-Jet we have achieved with the help of the AIR and re-map in excess of 270Nm of torque.

And on the T-Jet we adapted with the Abartjh SS turbo we are currently at 358Nm of torque.
  9. infernal

infernal

Gurgaon
    Drifter >that was a thorough explanation indeed mate.

I'm ready to try it out as soon as you have it ready for the Mjd and if you come to delhi, although we dont have a dyno anywhere near :( .

Just out of curiosity, whats the name of your business/tuning shop?
  10. drifter

drifter Regolare

London/Mumbai
    Don't you worry, we will haunt and roam the streets of Delhi soon. Mwaahaaahaaah.

Sorry, I just had to say it.

The business is Torque 7, which was formerly established on the 10th of October. But this is the business that is specifically working for the Indian market.

I hope that we will soon have an outlet in Delhi and that we are going to install in the nearer future a dyno there. However it depends on a number of factors and at this momment in time we concentrate on the development of the Indian tuning program, which will be rather costly, but this is what it takes to be the best.