1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Anyone here upgraded from WagonR to Punto or Avvy?

Discussion in 'Car Purchase Queries' started by Aniket Dessai, Dec 31, 2015.

1. PradeepM

PradeepM Staff Member Janitor

Hyderabad
    Linea 1.3
    Off topic.
    Congratulations Mr Kumar .

I see from the pic you picked the car from AV Motors. Kindly start an ownership thread as many have very limited information on the classic, you get a fully blown sedan for the price less than many half cooked, half boot, new segment cars out there.

Cheers,
    Pradeep.
    Aniket Dessai and prabhjot like this.
  2. Aniket Dessai

Aniket Dessai Amatore

Goa
    Fiat Enthusiast
    Are there any particular issues with the SCross? Is it true that they might scrap the model? Build quality issues.
  3. PradeepM

Hyderabad
    Linea 1.3
    Not sure about the issues, but SCross did not sell as expected for Maruthi. This may be because of styling, as the overall bodyline looks outdated and confused unlike the bold and aggressive (read suv'ish) looks of the CRETA. Our market has a fantasy for these pseudo SUV's the success of Duster and now the Creta are proof of the same, the SCross would have definitely pulled crowds if the designers could have done a better nose & grill job (personal opinion).
    Regarding the SCross closing out as model, I have not read or come across any such information so far.

Cheers,
    Pradeep.

PS : If your run is less, do take a look at the Aventura powered by Abarth, I am sure you will not repent your decision.
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2016
    Aniket Dessai likes this.
  4. Whencut86

Whencut86 Amatore

Chennai
    Fiat Enthusiast
    IF you are tilting towards the Punto diesel, then do give the avventura a good look. Inreased GC, beefed up suspension and you can even carry 50-60 kgs on the roof if you require more luggage carrying capacity. Also it is one awesome looking car. I went to buy an Avvy but ended up buying a Linea due to more rear leg room for family.
    prabhjot and Aniket Dessai like this.
  5. Aniket Dessai

Aniket Dessai Amatore

Goa
    Fiat Enthusiast
    Since I came to know S Cross is designed by FIAT too, I've put it in as second choice. Global sales are good and reviews on team-bhp are good enough. The doors have shed wait compared to European version. Will have to test drive the 90 HP version.
    --- Double Post Merged, Jan 3, 2016 ---
    There's some 1.5 lakh off too. That would get the second best model at 9.5 lakhs which I believe is a fair deal.
  6. manjunathkl

manjunathkl Amatore

Bangalore
    Linea 1.4
    @Aniket Dessai
    30KMs/week
    Highway drives
    5 11" height driver/passengers
    Short turning radius and Petrol Engine

Your usage is very very less for a diesel car. The difference of petrol and diesel will not justify your extra spend for a diesel variant till atleast 5-6 years.
    You drive on highways more, that means you need a sturdy car able to ensure reasonable safety and high speeds.
    Punto is a pretty spacious car. I have seen very tall people use it. In general Euro car dimensions and ergonomics are for tall passengers.
    Turning radius is something dependent on turn degree of the wheel as well as the length of the car. Punto turning radius is slightly wider and also Punto is considerably long compared to WagonR. That may be a downside. But with the super strong build, great safety and driving pleasure, you can forget the turning radius.

Figo Aspire - entry level sedan, latest model and quite powerful engine, moderately well built
    Ertiga - This is practically swift with 3rd row seating - a bit tinny when compared to EU cars
    Punto Evo 1.4/Abarth Punto Evo - Italian styling, hydraulic steering (this is going to be extinct in a few years) and sheer driving pleasure, head turner
    S-Cross - Don't recommend, it is neither a car nor a SUV. It will surely be pulled down after a few years of sluggish sales
    Ciaz - SX4 successor, Jack of all, master of mileage only - a bit tinny when compared to EU cars. Purely designed to pull HondaCity prospects

I am adding Polo to this comparo
    Polo - EU styling, solid build - Electric steering, 3 pot engine has refinement issues

Some More points to condider:
    Except Maruti, all other A.S.S are less in number and not up to the mark in terms of finesse. In my opinion, they do a good job in critical component servicing. But they are not good at attention to details.
    In general Japs cars are more for FE and practicality. They offer good reliability too. In contrast, Europeans build heavy, solid cars that are gems of engineering but they care less for FE, Korean and American cars try to strike a balance but will not completely impress in any department. But Fords are excellent handlers too.
    Fiat is also known for path breaking designs. Punto, Linea are still lookers even after +/- 10 years of launch globally. That is not a small feat.

All said and done, do TD with family and get everyone's opinion before choosing.
    Rama likes this.
  7. PradeepM

Hyderabad
    Linea 1.3
    I think it's been a while Polo has moved to a 4 cylinder engine .

Cheers,
    Pradeep.
  8. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    The Polo's 1.2 petrol (entry level, not the much more expensive tsi, which sells only at the rate of 10-12% of total Polo sales) is still a 3-cylinder unit, i believe.

@PradeepM
    PradeepM likes this.
  9. PradeepM

Hyderabad
    Linea 1.3
    OK , I assumed the context is diesel engines, initially the TDI in polo was a 3 cylinder which gradually was updated to 4 cylinder that is what I mentioned in the previous post.

Cheers,
    Pradeep.
    prabhjot likes this.
  10. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    The Scross is a great car, not quite upto FIAT standards of build and ride/drive etc but close enough. With the FIAT diesel 1.3, too, and discounts as well.

But with your running and with the low petrol prices in Goa, go for the Avventura by Abarth if not the Linea t-jet, i'd suggest?

cheers

@Aniket Dessai