1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Anyone here upgraded from WagonR to Punto or Avvy?

Discussion in 'Car Purchase Queries' started by Aniket Dessai, Dec 31, 2015.

1. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    @Aniket Dessai

I guess you are getting too much confused with the word premium car here. I would suggest list down your requirement based on 1) Your monthly running 2) Your preference for body style 3) Your affordability.

No point in buying a Diesel car if your running is low even if its a Fiat. If you are the type who hauls luggages and travels a lot, a sedan will always be better. Thirdly you cannot combines features of different cars into one and aspire for one at your budget. You will have to list the pros and cons of each vehicle and opt for the suit that suits your wallet and live with the cons.

Your shortlist shows 3 different segments of car:
    Hatchback - Punto 90 hp
    Sedan - Ciaz, Figo Aspire
    MUV - Ertiga and S cross

I would suggest to include the Linea MJD too coz it will cater to the first two segments easily if it fits your budget. When opting try to always look for the top end with all features. This will help you decide more logically.
  2. nibedk

nibedk Regolare

Hyderabad
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    @Aniket Dessai .Mate you are one confused soul;). So many choices, so many different body styles , different categories and different price ranges.

So much confusion for buying a car. Please decide what you need from your car. Prioritize the top 3-5 things then figure out manufacturers/cars which provide what your priorities are. Then shortlist and decide the best. If you are averse of any particular brand tick it off.

From the list that you have provided if I had to select it would have been a toss up between Punto 90 HP and SCross. Any way both are Fiats only. Fiat used to sell Scross as Sedici I guess.

My priorities always has been build quality, safety features , ride and handling. I don't think any thing comes close to Fiats and Fords at least in India within 1.5 million. The new Figos have been diluted and other than nice diesel engine nothing excites me.

All the best in your car selection process. May you pick the best one that suits you. :stop:
    prabhjot likes this.
  3. vigneshrace

vigneshrace Amatore

Chennai
    If not Punto, Go for Figo.
  4. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    You're from Goa? Petrol prices are unbelievably low there, na?

ERGO: go for either the Linea t-jet or the Avventura by Abarth. You will get discounts, safety, immensely incredible VFM, champion brakes, classy and stand-out aesthetics etc FREE! i.e., you will get a d-segment, world-class sedan in the Linea, not a dressed-up 'third world special' like the Figo/Aspire, Ciaz, City, Verna etc.

However, the FASS there has some disrepute, apparently? Although there are outside garages that specialize in FIATs? Or so i was told by a Fiat owner i encountered in Goa a year ago. Also, an apparently excellent FASS in satara, if am not wrong? Remember service is a once-a-year affair, and in any case for the accident type scenario (by definition statistically rare and unpredictable) you'd be well-advised to take the effort of going a distance to the best FASS in your vicinity on those great roads over in that part of the country. About the GOA fass, what do folks say? Are they 4/10 bad or 6 or 7/10 'bad'? Routine servicing should be ok, no matter how un-excellent the fass' reputation is.

cheers
  5. Aniket Dessai

Aniket Dessai Amatore

Goa
    Fiat Enthusiast
    @nibedk images-16.jpeg images-11.jpeg
    U are right. It's sedici which is branded as scross. No wonder that 1.6 multijet goes so well in it and it has only fiat engines as options. Why didn't fiat launch it themselves? I can't understand why fiat is wasting its quality by not marketing and strategizing properly.
    --- Double Post Merged, Jan 2, 2016 ---
    @prabhjot petrol prices were really low initially. Now have increased slightly as the government couldn't sustain it but is still low.
    I don't have a first hand experience with the FASS. From what I have heard some said it's pretty good but any major issues they couldn't solve. Inconsistent reviews about it. I have asked the sales guy to take me there. I'll be mostly taking a second test drive of avvy 90 HP while going there.

What do you think will happen after the Jeep launch. Will fiat become more popular or it will not have any effect on fiat?
    From the reviews it's about 6/10
    I never thought about the FASS the way u have mentioned. FASS is only required once a year.
    So now I want to know how reliable are the components in a FIAT compared to a MS car. Our WagonR has to be take to the service center about once every month. Father takes good care of the car and all issues are sorted out quickly after they are noticed. Will FIAT be much better in this aspect? How often do u guys visit the Service Center? I've seen in @Turbothinghy 's posts he often talks about his visits to the service center. On an average how many issues crop up every year.
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2016
  6. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    @Aniket Dessai

Issues are a subjective thing. Many Fiat owners go running to the FASS for even a seat squeak or a small suspension rattle! That is our distinguishing trait as car-owners. Of course, i kid, seriously though. ;-)

The cars are intrinsically very reliable, tough and durable. But issues, small usually, will certainly occur but the electricals, body work, powertrain, paintwork, electronics, suspension toughness etc are second-to-none when it comes to 'reliability', and arguably sometimes better than the competitors. On average, that is.

But as you may've read on ownership reports: things like wheel mis-alignments or a failed window winder motor etc WILL indeed occur, but so what? For what it is worth, I have had NO 'issues' with my May 2014 Linea t-jet, though my (as well as my dad's with his Fiat) FASS experiences have varied from 6/10 to 9/10, here in Gurgaon, dilli ncr.

As for JEEP affecting Fiat, i doubt there'll be much of an effect, since apparently the dealerships and ASS centres will be kept apart? But by investing in Jeep for local manufacture in 2017 (the C-suv) it does open up the possibility i guess for one or two of its Fiat-siblings like say the 500X to be also locally made here, perhaps in 2018? Who knows yet, though? Perhaps they will, in some cities, like say delhi or Mumbai or Goa or Bangalore combine or fold some Fiat dealers into the new jeep ones, at least for showrooms, by 2017, that is?
  7. PradeepM

PradeepM Staff Member Janitor

Hyderabad
    Linea 1.3
    @ Aniket Dessai, I agree deciding on a car purchase is not easy. Punto Evo is a great looking car, and it not only looks bigger when compared in its segment, but offers the needed comfort too in terms of seats (do check the seat dimensions in other cars).
    While the ride quality is undoubtedly the best in its class, well complemented in the safety department too.
    Now the major question is FASC in Goa, from what I read and understand, looks like we only have one center and this would be the biggest difference for you (coming from Maruthi).
    Do weigh your options and take a call. Ford Figo with 1.5L & 100ps is a pretty good car, however Ford has recently lost its strong virtues of driving dynamics and the steering feel.
    A couple of weeks back, my immediate neighbor came to me for an advice on a new car, his shortlisted cars were Swift, Figo & Grand i10. I did get the Punto to the table but he had a strict budget of 7L and I did not see a possibility to fit the Punto with all the safety, hence was ruled out, however the main reason is that my neighbour was more inclined towards the Ford and was not interested in a FIAT .
    Also the Figo Trend (2 air bags +abs) had some good discounts for year end and I too felt it is more practical to get a 1.5L, 100ps car for a price equivalent or lower than a Punto 75HP. After some back to back test drives the FIGO was finalized and we got a deal for 7.10 ( inclusive of rear parking sensors).

So as said earlier, do weigh your options and take a call. End of the day what really matters is your happiness and satisfaction, be it a Punto or Figo or any other car buy what appeals to your heart (forget neighbour's, peer's and forum members, as none of us are spending our hard earned money for your car :) ).
    All the best in your decision making.

Cheers,
    Pradeep.
  8. limraj

limraj Superiore

Trivandrum
    Linea 1.3
    I upgraded from WagonR to Linea. Yes, WagonR is more comfortable in the city and Linea is okay if you do not want to race. Ingress/egress is more comfortable in WagonR owing to its height. But my in laws find ok in Linea too. Coming to a diesel from petrol had it's learning curve. I am well adjusted to it now. I chose diesel because of my running (70k in less than 3 years). If it's low running then Tjet is much more fun. Please choose a car as said by your heart and stretch to highest variant for the safety features.
    PradeepM likes this.
  9. Aniket Dessai

Aniket Dessai Amatore

Goa
    Fiat Enthusiast
    I feel Punto 90HP is perfect considering everything. I find sedans a bit hard to maneuver inside cities. Diesel is the only option considering running and easy servicing considering the national engine part.
    Will have to live with the FASC though which is why I need a second option outside fiat just incase my visit to the service center doesn't convince me. Hopefully fiat India has got a good strategy to improve that. Parts availability isn't a problem right? On 99 rpm I noticed no Punto Evo parts are listed.
  10. Baibhaw Kumar

Baibhaw Kumar Timido

Hyderabad
    Hyderabad
    Linea Classic
    Hi Aniket,
    I have recently upgraded from Alto K10 to Fiat Linea classic Plus MJD. The Linea classic plus is reasonably priced and is really solid build (no difference in metal quality as Linea) and also very fuel efficient.
    you can include this car also in your list and better test drive before making a choice. IMG_0376_small.jpg
    Murphy_Fiat, Rama, prabhjot and 2 others like this.