1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Anyone here upgraded from WagonR to Punto or Avvy?

Discussion in 'Car Purchase Queries' started by Aniket Dessai, Dec 31, 2015.

1. Aniket Dessai

Aniket Dessai Amatore

Goa
    Fiat Enthusiast
    Hi guys, I have been planning a Punto Evo purchase for the past two months. Currently We own a WagonR 1.1 which my father drives and occasionally I drive for about 30kms every week. We were planning to upgrade to a slightly premium car within a budget of about 9 lakhs. Normally driven on highways for short intercity trips.
    Shortlisted : (all diesel)
    Figo Aspire
    Ertiga
    Punto Evo 90HP
    SCross(with 1.5 lakh off)
    Ciaz
    Both of us are 5 feet 11 inches in height and have got used to WagonR in driving position, short turning radius and a petrol engine.
    Do you recommend Punto as the perfect upgrade with those three things in mind. Also give a second choice if not Punto.
  2. Whencut86

Whencut86 Amatore

Chennai
    Fiat Enthusiast
    You can add Linea TJet also to you list. You would be getting a lakh of discount and you can go for dynamic variant which will come with ABS and airbags.
  3. metal_heart

metal_heart Amatore

Noida
    Linea 1.3
    I also upgraded from Alto to Linea. There is a initial learning curve, as you graduate from petrol to diesel & hatchback to bigger car. Punto is great choice. Though your list contains vehicle across various class, If I had to pick from these, i'll pick S-Cross (1.6) and Ford Figo/Aspire. You wont enjoy Ciaz/Ertiga to drive.

If you want similar driving feel like petrol and smaller car, get the new Figo
  4. moksh

moksh Regolare

Mumbai/Germany
    Linea 1.3
    @Aniket Dessai Since you have specifically mentioned your height as 5 11' . Even i am 5 11' since you didnt sit on the back seat of ciaz . My dad is 6" tall and his head touches at the head room at the back which makes me think that this car is a pain when the car hits the bump or takes an accident badly. It would directly affect your head and your neck . Please make a wise choice.
  5. Aniket Dessai

Aniket Dessai Amatore

Goa
    Fiat Enthusiast
    So ertiga and ciaz are out.
    S Cross might get removed from the lineup by maruti in a couple of years due to poor sales.
    Figo aspire is my second choice. Is it fun to drive? How is the seating? I felt a bit cramped.

No one answered my comparison with wagonR part.
  6. Whencut86

Whencut86 Amatore

Chennai
    Fiat Enthusiast
    @Aniket Dessai Figo Aspire is a good car. Good diesel engine. But build quality is nowhere like Fiesta or Ecosport. Forget Fiat build. If you are ok with a petrol then you can look at a Linea T-Jet dynamic. Heard about 1.9 lakhs discount on Linea Multijet diesel and you can opt for a diesel as well with that discount. New remapped ECU has improved Multijet's drive and very minimal turbo lag. I wanted to buy an Avventura MJD. But the rear leg space in Linea and TJet engine made me go for it. If you are ok with the rear leg space of Avventura then you can go for it. Wonderful car.
    prabhjot likes this.
  7. Aniket Dessai

Aniket Dessai Amatore

Goa
    Fiat Enthusiast
    Went through an ownership review of figo aspire and I just didn't feel attracted towards it. Even after the TD I wasn't much impressed even though the car has got impressive reviews. Clutch feels too light and gear knob just doesn't feel good.
  8. nikhil0405

nikhil0405 Amatore

Pune
    Linea 1.3
    If you need more room and comfort, opt for the Linea. This will feel like a substantial upgrade over the wagonr. Moreover with the current discounts, it makes sense than the Avvy. I upgraded from a santro to Linea and I am loving it. Also check the Zest if you are not averse to owning a tata.
  9. KPR

KPR Regolare

TN
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    @Aniket Dessai If you too much confused, just go for Linea. a total VFM sedan. You will enjoy the status and the comfort it gives. Right from its launch in 2009 to till date !!! You can just park it keep looking at it for hours together. Such a command, elegance it has got. Also it has good GC and the seat height adjustment. So you take a decision on driver's stance w.r.to wagon R. Also the competition offered by Maruti and Honda are too costly and not a real VFM in terms of build quality.

Pl understand that there is no perfect car on earth. Take a piece of paper, write down as many of your requirements like safety, built, Mileage, service, financials, looks etc., and give points for each of the car you have shortlisted. Your paper work and ratings will definitely help you in selecting the car which suits you and you can never go wrong. You can share it with people in your family and go with a well planned decision.

I had a similar situation not long ago with all 4 MJDs of fiat's (75,90,avvy & Linea MJD). Tough call indeed. Fiat has bewildered many and you are no exception. But only my home work helped me a lot.

A year back my friend had shortlisted on Punto 75 / 90 HP from Wagon R but finally decided to purchase Xcent after lots of table discussions and paperworks. He understood his requirements and has made a choice which is definitely good for him. The requirement for a car varies from person to person. One needs to identify it. You cannot expect RE and Pulsar in a single bike unless you have vitamin M for buying both.
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2016
    limraj likes this.
  10. car_champ

car_champ Timido

Pune
    @Aniket Dessai : I upgraded from Wagon R to Punto 90 HP SPORTZ. In short: I am in love with this car since then. Trust me we have been driving Tin boxes and we never know what is driving pleasure is all about until and unless we drive this Italian beauty. You will experience comfort & joy while having 120+ KM/hr planted drive on expressways. And for overtaking, you have to just press the pedal slightly and it shoots like rocket at right speeds with you in full control.

background:

I drove Wagon R to around 1.25 Lac KM's. Prior to that I have done around 1 Lac KM's in my Dad's Santro. Since Wagon R started off showing age after 7 years and 1.25 Lac KM's so I was in search of my next ride. My budget was not more then 7 Lacs. The options evaluated were though Vento, Dzire, I20 etc and all diesel. Since all of them were out of my budget so search prolonged. However one fine day I saw the add for Fiat just visited the showroom. The car you see in my profile pic greeted me in showroom. I was awestruck with sheer beauty of the car with black roof/side mirrors and exotic red colour. My Son and wife were all for it. However the list price and the initial quoted price were way higher then my budget. I did some initial checks, test drove the car and shared my budget with the sales team. They were not ready and I was also not keen to increase by budget. I left it to them and bingo!! they called me in 15 days or so agreeing to my price and beauty was at home.

I had a very tough time initially due to few niggles primarily due to negligence of dealer however after escalating to right channels, I was directed to Pandit and they sorted out all issues. Since then, till date after 30K Km's its super ride. I have done two 3000+ KM circuits with her in last 1.5 years and several small 1000 KM circuits and she drives fine over all kind of roads.

In city, yes its not as easy as Wagon R to maneuver however she is comfortable. Since I am more of Highway driver, it suits me well. I would suggest you take extensive test ride of all vehicles listed by you before deciding. But the beauty, ride quality and safety offered by Punto can't be matched by others. Mileage is 16ish in city and 19ish on highways (approximate figures).

Keep us posted by your final choice.
    Bala, punto_emotion and manjunathkl like this.