1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Any solution for windshield scratches?

Discussion in 'Exteriors / Body' started by gurjinder, Oct 27, 2011.

1. nkrishnap

nkrishnap Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Linea 1.3
    If the scratches are deep it cant be removed, it can only be reduced to some extent. The wiper marks can surely be removed unless the metal on the wipers has scratched the glass. The chip marks on the windshield wont go too.

If you find any cracks (even minor) do not polish the glass, it has every chance of giving away into a bigger crack or worst case in to pieces.
  2. pdash

pdash Regolare

Bangalore
    Mahadevapura
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Thanks @nkrishnap for your reply. There is no cracks at all on the screen. All those exists are swirls marks due to dry dusting and cleaning process by our cleaning staff. wiper marks are very minor. I inquired 3m, they are coating 1700 for the polishing and buffing. Yesterday on my visit to Gopalan signature mall on Old Madras Road, I inquired a car spa in the car park area. They are quoting rs950 for the same job.

The only pain I am facing now is night drive during rain. The incoming light creating lot of distraction for driving. Any further input will be really helpful.
  3. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    @pdash maybe @mchanna can guide better how effective it is in medium to long run. He had opted for the same at Pandit Auto IIRC.
    pdash likes this.
  4. nkrishnap

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Linea 1.3
    The glass polishing is slightly more complicated than regular polishing. We got one punto's windshield polished and got the hydrophobic coating done too. The results are amazing.

PS: it's a 3.5 year old punto. Pm me for more details.
  5. mchanna

mchanna Superiore

Pune
    The polishing really removed the swirl marks from the windscreen. It is worth the price!
    I was planing to change the glass itself. But after the polish, I feel it is good to go for some more years!
    pdash likes this.
  6. rider16

rider16 Amatore

Hyderabad
    Hyderabad
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    My most sincere advice, PLEASE change the WIND SHIELD. Its for your/family and the on coming traffic/road user protection. You can only fix a worn out part so much. If its costing a bombing buying from the Authorised service centre, please check out local/independent garage options, like wind-shield experts or your local stockists. They sure would quote lesser than the A.S.S quoted price by 40% or may be even lesser price.

One shouldn't drive blind.
  7. nkrishnap

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Linea 1.3
    If the swirls are not too deep, this can be removed. Of course the stone chippings cant be corrected. The windshield replacement in FASS will cost around 10.5K bucks. 1500 for a polish is a good thing to try.
    pdash likes this.
  8. rider16

rider16 Amatore

Hyderabad
    Hyderabad
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP

He is talking about palio, I am assuming its atleast 7yrs old now bro. I would still recommend changing the wind shield. Trying out the buffing out scratches is still trial and error thing. He is better off changing the shield than waste his money on something like this.

If you want to avoid it in the future, use Micro fibre cloth, extra soft ones for the shields and glasses, along with some nice glass cleaner for the car.
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2015
  9. nkrishnap

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Linea 1.3
    Palio? I believe its Punto. pdadh pls confirm.
  10. rider16

rider16 Amatore

Hyderabad
    Hyderabad
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    yeah its a palio and its 10yrs old.