1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Any checklist for buying used car?

Discussion in 'Car Purchase Queries' started by arvin, Aug 29, 2016.

1. arvin

arvin Timido

Hyderabad
    Fiat Enthusiast
    Hello Everyone,

I am new to this forum and I am planning to buy a used punto. I have just received my license and this will be my first car. Please guide me on what are the important things to check before buying a used car. If there is any checklist it would be helpful.

Thanks,
    Arvin
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2016
  2. zenwalker

zenwalker Esperto

Bangalore
    Murphy_Fiat and PradeepM like this.
  3. arvin

arvin Timido

Hyderabad
    Fiat Enthusiast
    Hi Zenwalker,
    Thanks for the link. A very nice report. I am interested in buying a used punto due to budget constraints. My main confusion is most of the used punto have crossed 1 L km and some are nearing 2L km. If I buy at this stage will I need to worry about engine overhaul or major expenses? The cars are 2010 or 2011 models, mjd emotion variant.
  4. metal_heart

metal_heart Amatore

Noida
    Linea 1.3
    - Search for a car which has full service history available. (Either in form of receipts or with FASS)
    - Match the service history with owner manual if all required work were carried on time
    - If you have anyone know who own a punto; take him along (he would be able to judge much better)
    - 20009-2011 batch were prone to rusting. Check for rust under boonet / door hinges / panel etc
    - Take it for a drive over all kinds of road and hear all the noise (especially suspension and rattle)
    - Avoid mechanically modified cars

Keep a budget of 30-50K above;as there would be certain repairs to be carried out.

You can also read my ownership report. I bought a pre-pampered linea and gonna complete 1 year of ownership this month
    Prathap Chandran S likes this.
  5. arvin

arvin Timido

Hyderabad
    Fiat Enthusiast
    thank you so much metal_heart (kind heart). Your suggestions and your thread really educated me. I am undergoing the same experience as you have mentioned in your thread..thank you so much, now I am confident about buying a second hand car (punto).
  6. zenwalker

zenwalker Esperto

Bangalore
    MJD (You said 2L run, so assumed as Diesel) engines are quite designed to go very long. But that does not mean that all owned MJD vehicles are treated respectfully. Anyways, engine is not the only criteria you should be worried here. There are many which can make your eyes sore later on if things go wrong.
    From clutch kid to ball joints to strut pads to shocks to steering column to gear box assembly to rack parts to wear on break disks, etc. what not?
    Though some of these can be verified by driving or looking at it manually, but there are others which you can inspect unless opening it up.

So your best bet would as @metal_heart said above is to look keenly and deeply into service history, insurance history (damage claims) and a trusted source also matters. And also a reasoning of why selling in first place also matters as this is FIAT. FIAT is all about passion, one just buys to sell it off is no surely taken care the car well, but others take care as their girl friends ;)
  7. metal_heart

metal_heart Amatore

Noida
    Linea 1.3
  8. arvin

arvin Timido

Hyderabad
    Fiat Enthusiast
    Hi metal heart,
    I'm still searching for my fiat no luck still. I was also not in town for a week so couldn't pursue. Now that I have returned my search begins again..friends, if you know anybody selling their Punto please let me know and help me in finding my fiat..
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 8, 2016
  9. Prathap Chandran S

Prathap Chandran S Timido

Chennai
    Fiat Enthusiast