1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Another Linea buying dilemma !!

Discussion in 'Pre sales query' started by fiat_newbie, Nov 7, 2013.

1. fiat_newbie

fiat_newbie Timido

Hi TFI Experts,

I know you would have seen multiple posts on various dilemma in selecting a car. Before posting here I went through previous posts in pre-slaes forum, but couldn't come to a valid conclusion. Hence requesting for an opinion from you guys in the forum.

Little background on myself : I am new to cars. Just have learned to drive and this is going to be the first car in my family. I am a great fan of FIAT Linea. Don't know why, but fell in love the very first time I saw her (may be the looks or the solid steering wheel, with great feed back etc .. ). So I was pretty much decided on the car I want and then started the usual long and rigorous search for used/new linea cars in the market and came down to the below three choices.

Car options:

1. Linea 1.4 T-Jet Emotion Pack (Single owner, 2011, Odo : 16K, minor scratches, warranty expired): Price 4.5L .. The price is too attractive to be true. So I am planning to take the car for nearby garage for inspection. Will also check the service history in FIAT to logically validae the Odo reading.
    2. Linea 1.3 MJD Emotion Pack (Single Owner, 2011, Odo : 37K, one dent at the rear bumper, warranty expired): Price 5.5L .. Planning to do the same inspection as in the above 1.4 T-Jet.
    3. Fiat showroom old stock. Brand new vehicle : 1.3 MJD Dynamic july 2012 model (confirmed from the VIN). After multiple negotiations, dealer agreed to give discount of 1.7L from On road price, for the car. Doesn't look to be a TD vehicle. When I went to see vehicle, I requested them to start the engine, they said that they have unplugged the battery, since the vehicle was idle for a long time. So was not able to check the engine, H based odo reading etc. I don't see any external wear and tear in the car. Checked all the 5 wheels. Looks brand new (rubber spokes are still seen). Visiting again this weekend and check the car with the team-fiat's recommended check list.

Now the dilemma [Heart Vs Head]:

• Being a new driver, should I go for used car and then try for new ones.
    • The above mentioned two cars are dealer cars. Even after an inspection from an expert garage, is it worth the risk to buy from local dealers ?
    • Is the 1.7L FIAT dealer discount for a brand new July 2012 model a good deal ?

• It's a NEW car. Take it !!!
    • For any issue with the car, I can always reach out to you experts. I can also opt for a 5Yr warranty.
    • I don't plan to sell the car unless it gives me serious issues. Planning to use the car for a long run. Not a 5Yr re-sale enthusiast. Should I be scared on the fact that will the FIAT turn out to be another Daewoo/Peugeot OR should I take a leap of faith and invest the full amount.

Please share me your thoughts.
  2. zenwalker

zenwalker Esperto

Hello and welcome aboard.

Even GP was my first car and i had just learn driving then. So i was almost in ur state. After reading extensively and watching alots of review videos i thought considering FIAt into the list of choices.

So for me, its not the new car, not 5 year warranty, not resale options impressed me but the sheer driving pleasure i found in this car and of course the features like tank built, handling, cornering, etc. I took TD twice to assure myself what i did feel about this car, then i made decisions and yes i did TD other cars too.
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2013
  3. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Linea 1.3
    I am assuming you saw this car at RDC Fiat, Chennai. If I were you, I wouldn't buy this car from RDC.
  4. mayurshah

mayurshah Amatore

Its an attractive deal..your location ?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
  5. Mr.Boss

Mr.Boss Amatore

Any specific reason dude?
  6. fiat_newbie

fiat_newbie Timido

Thanks zenwalker. That's a great bit re-assurance. I am sort of finalized with the new car. Its just that should I go for older stock car or the new ones.

mayurshah : offering is @ Ramkay, Chennai !!

ramjn : Please let know if there is anything we should be worried with older stock cars ?
  7. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

My personal opinion, since you are new to cars I would suggest opt for a preowned. That way you wont have the heart burns whenever the new car gets bruised in the mad Chennai traffic. You get your hands on the car and the traffic and then go for a brand new car. Again not to hurt your sentiments but why a sedan when you can have the same driving pleasure with a hatchback, I would suggest seriously look for a Grande Punto.

Coming back your choices, you havent specified your driving requirements. If your running is less then the T-jet would suffice. Or else the MJD Linea is an apt choice. If the preowned cars you shortlisted (the first two) do have a complete service history then you can think about them once you are satisfied with the exteriors, interiors and test drive. Personally I wouldnt opt for the 2012 model since the specific reasons for not getting sold earlier is not known.

All the best
  8. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Linea 1.3
    Single major reason. RDC.
  9. Bala

Bala Esperto

Another mjd hip hop black EP Linea done 65 k kms is also available in Chennai, are you interested. A doctor's self driven car, he is quoting less than 5 l only I believe.
  10. DRIV3R

DRIV3R Esperto

Ramesh, remember we were discussing about this particular Linea MJD which I had plans of picking up? This is a clean car from Ramkay, it is standing in their yard for long, wonder why it didn't sell this long though. It is a BNW shade and not NPW.

1.7L is mouth watering though.

Regarding buying old(manufactured quite some time back) cars, I would not recommend it for a newbie to the automotive world. If you know what should be taken care of before you sign the dotted line you can take the plunge, else back off, it would just be few more Ks in your EMI. I bought and own a 2011 manufactured 90HP and am very happy with it. Bought it for 60k less than what we paid for the 75HP. :D
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2013