1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Android Thread

Discussion in 'Gadgets / Electronics / Laptops' started by royj, Sep 29, 2010.

1. pioneeraaron

pioneeraaron Superiore

Mulund/Mumbai
    @caffeineam

Disable GPS if u dont intend to use it.Kill all those apps that you dont use. Settings > Manage Apps.You can force close from there.It will save some battery.3G does consume loads of battery power.Or else you can use Advance Task Killer, you can downoad from playstore!

I tried installing ICS 4.0.4 on my Huawei Ideos X5 (Custom rom by Aurora from XDA) It was a success but useless as it caught no network and it wouldn't show the battery consumption.So i reverted back to Oxygen 2.3.7 (HTC custom rom :-D)
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2013
  2. mightymaveryk

mightymaveryk Regolare

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Aaron, actually dj.nish suggested not to use ATK. I too checked the net and it is not recommended outside play store (android developers).
  3. pioneeraaron

pioneeraaron Superiore

Mulund/Mumbai
    Im using it for the past 1yr and faced no problems at all! Infact my battery life has been much more than what it used to be.Hence i recommend it :) Before jumping to conclusions it's better to try it once!
  4. caffeineam

caffeineam Amatore

Mumbai
    Will disable some options when I feel desperate. As of now I have chargers at home, office and in the car :)
  5. dj.nish

dj.nish Superiore

Mumbai
    Even if you don't use your phone for anything, keeping it on 3g means it's will run out in 12-15 hours. This is the standard for 1500-1750 mah batteries.

-------
    Sent from my Motorola Defy+ MB526 using Tapatalk 2
  6. dj.nish

dj.nish Superiore

Mumbai
    Let me get to a PC and post a link. Believe me it doesn't do anything good to your phone.

-------
    Sent from my Motorola Defy+ MB526 using Tapatalk 2
  7. caffeineam

caffeineam Amatore

Mumbai
    Even with just background data and no auto sync? The only background data is IMAP email (15 mins poll freq.), GTalk and WhatsApp. None of the other bells and whistles are on auto update/sync.
  8. pioneeraaron

pioneeraaron Superiore

Mulund/Mumbai
    @dj.nish

I've read all the possible links that you would put up here.It's a contradictory statement to make that it would do more harm then good.It's doing more good than bad for me atleast cause I get lots of free'd up ram up for use,rather than wasting it on apps running in the background.I've read most of the comments made where it states that it does harm n blah blah.Basically it says Android just puts them in the background and those apps dont consume any ram?? i dont think so.If an app is running in the background it tends to use atleast some amount of memory.Now i dont want an app to use my precious ram if i aint using it.I guess the Task Manager in Windows pc does the same thing.You terminate an app and it shows you the free'd up ram.

After using ATK i feel im in control of my device rather than staying at mercy or rebooting everytime it lags or hangs up due to low memory!
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2013
  9. dj.nish

dj.nish Superiore

Mumbai
    I have been on Android since 3+ years - right from Froyo to JB and all possible custom ROMs in between. Have tried not one, but all such task managers/Juice defenders et al. So I'm DEFINITELY speaking from experience here.
    If you get to the basics, you'll see that ATK and such apps basically kill ALL inactive apps. This most times includes important system apps as well. Not only is this not recommended, it also further lags the OS because when the OS needs that system file, it has to restart it from scratch.

What the Android OS does in the background is to put inactive apps in a dormant state. So yes, they DONT use free RAM. If you have read that they do, please post that link. I'll like to read it too.

And one more thing - are you REALLY FEELING free RAM or relying on numbers thrown by ATK? If it's the latter, then of course ATK is doing its job well i.e. making you believe that it is managing your RAM well. But like I said, nothing can manage memory any better than what the OS is already doing.

Windows and Android are two different OS altogether. There is absolutely no comparison.

And before you charge at me again, let me tell you that I've been on Linux (Ubuntu) since version 9.04 so I know that OS inside out. On the same hardware (Intel Atom netbook with 1 GB RAM), my machine performs at least 5x faster than it does on Win 7 Starter (which was supposedly optimized for netbooks!).
    If you want a REAL solution to your RAM issue, root and uninstall bloatware that comes with skins like TouchWiz and Sense. They use the most RAM and in a very inefficient manner.

Why else do you think people install custom ROMs? Its only because such ROMs are optimized for memory management and they do away with stock bloatware which are memory hogs.

Full control of the phone is possible ONLY after rooting. It gives you the options to keep exactly what you want and delete the rest. Any other solution is just the developer convincing you that you have control.
    I’ll tell you a simple hierarchy, in case you are not already aware. In terms of battery drain, this is how it goes.

3G > Screen (Display+brightness+timeout) > GPS > BT > WiFi > Sync interval (for FB/Twitter/Email etc)

See which all you can eliminate / tweak to the maximum and extract better performance.

P.S I’m on 1700 mah battery and with EDGE/2G or Wifi, I have been able to extract close to 30 hours charge without affecting ANY performance. This is, when the phone was otherwise normally used e.g. phone calls, occasional GPS+BT (~1 hour) and usual phone+SMS+WhatsApp functions.
    1 person likes this.
  10. pioneeraaron

pioneeraaron Superiore

Mulund/Mumbai
    My fone is already rooted and running on a custom rom :-D Apart from ATK i use Memory booster too to free up virtual memory and the usage shown by ATK and mem booster are the same,so i dont think ATK is showing up false figures to me.Yup Android and windows are too different platforms, but my take is why waste ram on those apps that one aint using??Simple as wasting fuel on idling if u aint driving your car.Even mem booster terminates apps and shows up the free ram.Now i dont read anything -ve on the net regarding mem booster?? Just a bit from an insider my friend who works for google(he develops apps for google) "Android has lot of loopholes and still the OS is unstable and buggy,which google is hiding and constantly working to fix it" And yeah he also told me about the task manager/killers are fine to be used without any prob IF configured properly! Im just following his advice :-D and yea with good results!!