1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Android Thread

Discussion in 'Gadgets / Electronics / Laptops' started by royj, Sep 29, 2010.

1. Grandeur

Grandeur Staff Member Janitor

I'm in hunt for a good Android Phone. To ease accessibility of forum, facebook, Flickr without too much vertical and horizontal scrolling like I do in BB. Well, many of my TFI friends on facebook suggested Dell Streak, HTC Desire HD and Samamsung Galaxy S.

Dell Streak: I liked it, but it's size and some negative review on net disappointed me, like; sound is not good, navigation is not smooth and it is coming with 2.1 Android and not 2.2
    HTC Desire HD: I loved that phone, but didn't want to compromise on front camera. As 3G to be launched soon didn't want to miss the fun on Video Chat.
    Samsung Galaxy S: Not available in Market, shopkeepers says it's out of stock. Inquired around half a dozen shop
    Sony Xperia 10: It has everything I'm looking for but again, it can't upgraded to 2.2 :A ARC will be launching sometime in 1st quarter.

Wondering when will HTC EVO will launch? I think that will be worth waiting for!
  2. Viny

Viny Esperto

Galaxy S and Xperia 10 are the best options.
    Xperia 10 has custom 2.2 already running, check out XDA-Developers forum.
    HTC is too easy to crack and hack so could have potential troubles in near future, SE devices are too secured and only one where bootloader has not been yet cracked. But company upgarde plans are pathetic. See the multitouch roll out, previously claimed device doesnt support multi touch at hardware level, when crackers proved it, they came up with updates. If possible wait for 1st quater to many good releases are on line with Android 2.3

Dell: No comments :p
  3. teky

teky Esperto

Just one advice Grandeur keep away from the x10, it has been buggy and flopped a big time. I would also recommend you looking at HTC desire Z, this has averting you need plus a qwerty keyboard, moving from a BB this would sound nice.

I know you didn't want the Dell streak for size but how about Galaxy Tab, it can double up as a PMp
  4. Galaxy S all the way. I have this phone for the past 6 months now and have never loved a phone this much.
  5. Grandeur

Thanks Guys! I won't be shifting from BB. Qwerty keyboard is something I can't live without it ;). Samsung Galaxy S seems a good phone and I guess worth the money. As Viny suggested, I may wait for sometime for some new releases but I'm sure the price tag will 30k+. let's see!

Right now, I'm looking out for Samsung Galaxy S. If found, I might go for it.
  6. Viny

Viny Esperto

Samsung has screen issues globably, they are prone to backouts.
    Xperia 10 would soon be out dated with ARC coming in.

In low cost segment there are many chinese as well as indian compaines selling android based phones with querty pads for price below 10K
    But since you are looking forward to video call, you would have to go for A segment phones which means 25k+ costs, but that also means a lot of novelty, features, fun and awesome presence felt :D, but this turns out to be short lived, because again after a quarter or two you find something better :D

Managing 3.5 or 4.2" screen phones are not easy too, a fall and your 30k investment flies off.
    If you are not much fancied about big screens and primarily like the Android and its features to help you get done your day to day task email, social networking, chats, business apps etc. Then X10 mini / pro at 10K could be good option too.
  7. Grandeur

So, finally settled with Tab.

As I didn't wanted to leave BB and my requirement was to be accessible to net without all small screen incapabilities. I thought better have Tablet than Android phone. Got Tab for 26,500 with Bill and Warranty!
  8. Viny

Viny Esperto

Congrats, share the pics, price, buying process and a review :)
  9. Grandeur

Thanks Viny!

Here are the pics.Well, I'm liking everything about Tab so far, may be its because I never used Tablet before + Android. I'm sure over the time I'll able to find it's cons. But so far it's rocking.

Tab = Rs 26,500
    Case = Rs 1400
    Screen Rs Gaurd = 450
    3G = Reliance Plan 199 may be upgrade later (http://www.rcom.co.in/Rcom/personal/3G/ ... Plans.html)

10. Viny

Viny Esperto

Thats a good buy, and looks cool, only problem is it wont fit any pockets :p :D
    BSNL 3G coverage and plans are better than most of the competitors.
    Example: BSNL 325 gives you
    Rs 250 Talk time, rate as low as 20p per min and highest being 50p per min (avg to 800 - 1000 mins talk time)
    Rs 40 (sms) @40p per sms = 80sms
    3G/GPRS - 250MB
    Call two bsnl number at 20p per minute.
    Get additional second card free (for wife/girlfriend ) and talk between these two phones are free within LSA

Does the pad offers GPS?
    You could use this as HUD in car :)